Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
Plug For Leupold Service Dept. >

Plug For Leupold Service Dept.

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Plug For Leupold Service Dept.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Plug For Leupold Service Dept.

I sent a Leupold Vari-X III, 1.75-6 x 32 mm, compact back to Leupold to have the reticule changed out from their standard plex to a German #4. This scope is something like 6-7 years old and I though I like the scope, I have not used it in 2-3 years. My eyes are going so I cannot manage open sights any longer. I was looking for a "woods rifle" scope ... decent glass, low powered and light weight. This one seems to me to fit the bill. The charge was reasonable, and the scope was back in my hands 12 calendar days after I sent it in. I mounted it on my Marlin Guide in 444 Marlin and headed to the range today after work. It seems to be fine, and zero moved not one iota that I could tell through the variable range. I like it on that compact rifle. Hog hunting ... here I go !
Old 04-30-2010, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

leupold always seems to go above and beyond.!!! try getting something back that fast with burris,bushnell, or nikon.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

#4 reticle for all round hunting is the best IMHO. With quality glass you can see it if you can see the deer/hog at dark thirty.....
Old 05-02-2010, 02:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good choice. Good deal. Congrats.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by liquidorange
leupold always seems to go above and beyond.!!! try getting something back that fast with burris,bushnell, or nikon.
I've dealt with Leupold's warranty service 3 times and I've never gotten anything back that fast from them either. While I hear of some people getting stuff back that fast it doesn't seem to be the normal. I did get it back one time I think in a little over 2 weeks or something fairly short. One time it took over a month when a gun shop sent it in for me. And the 3rd time it took 3-4 weeks.

They haven't gone above and beyond for me imo. They have honored their warranty but they should since they advertise that warranty when they sell their products and you do pay extra for the name knowing it has that warranty. They didn't do anything like pay shipping both ways or anything like that. I still had to pay the $10 to ship it too them. The exception being the second time I sent the same scope in for repair. They did send me a label that time since it was my second time sending that same scope in. Other than that the warranty work has been good imo but nothing above and beyond. When I pay for a product as having something like a lifetime warranty and they actually honor it I think it's great but I don't see it as above and beyond since I do expect them to honor it.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
I've dealt with Leupold's warranty service 3 times and I've never gotten anything back that fast from them either. While I hear of some people getting stuff back that fast it doesn't seem to be the normal. I did get it back one time I think in a little over 2 weeks or something fairly short. One time it took over a month when a gun shop sent it in for me. And the 3rd time it took 3-4 weeks.

They haven't gone above and beyond for me imo. They have honored their warranty but they should since they advertise that warranty when they sell their products and you do pay extra for the name knowing it has that warranty. They didn't do anything like pay shipping both ways or anything like that. I still had to pay the $10 to ship it too them. The exception being the second time I sent the same scope in for repair. They did send me a label that time since it was my second time sending that same scope in. Other than that the warranty work has been good imo but nothing above and beyond. When I pay for a product as having something like a lifetime warranty and they actually honor it I think it's great but I don't see it as above and beyond since I do expect them to honor it.

The key here is you were using warranty service and the original poster was paying for service work. He was simply having the reticle changed out for a different one.

With your situation I would hope Leupold tested your scope to try and find out what was causing it.

I have been using Leupold scopes for a long time and they have served me well. In fact, so well that I have never needed their warranty service.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mojotex, I think you have the perfect gun & scope for a "woods rifle".
Old 06-13-2010, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wolf-Killer - Two hogs would not agree! Pork chops ! Got lucky in this blazing 2 weekends ago and stumbled onto a group of 6-8 working over a patch of young palmettos. They like the root. I was actually more interested in scouting for deer season and trying to find the property's corners when I spotted a group out front about 200 yards. Killed a small sow (maybe 75#) right off at about 40 yards and then punched out a bigger sow (125# or so) at about 75 yards as the group came up out of a creek bed. Two one shot , clean kills .... won't talk much about the other 4 shots as they scattered! Looked like a Viet Nam war movie as the 4 misses sent up water spouts. Never been good at hitting running game with a rifle.

I was one dead a$$ by the time I go them to a woods road. That 90F+ heat and the high humidity really drains my old rearend these days.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

A few years back I had a Leupold Vari X II go bad. I had just sighted it in the day before. I hit a nice buck at 223 yds and noticed it wasn't a good hit especially from a rest. We did find him and had to finish him off. I shot the front legs one was almost completely shot off. I went back to our little 100 yd range and it was way off. I re sighted it and the following day I got a easy shot and plain missed. Back to our little range and it was way off for the second time. After three tries and three misses I sent it back to Leupold. I can't remember how long it was getting it back but it was nothing out of the ordinary. They replaced the internal parts. I put it on a different rifle that I have yet to take out and see. Leupold gave me good service. They stood behind their products. A couple weeks ago I bought a VX2 3x9 50MM. First morning out with it I shot a 8 point.

I don't know if the vibration or the bouncing from the 4 wheelers had anything to do with ruining that scope. I sent a email the other night to Leupold asking about this. It says allow two week for a reply.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:14 PM
Spike

I lost a windage screw off of my base last week. I called Leupold and they said they'd send me another one right away, free. Can't beat that!