Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
Binocs for Hunting >

Binocs for Hunting

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Binocs for Hunting

Old 02-05-2010, 08:18 AM
Fork Horn

Look at the Promaster ELX ED 8 or 10X42....I have had the 8X42's for over a year now and absolutely love them. $350.00.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:26 AM
Typical Buck

I ordered a pair of minox artic hunter 8x42's from Doug at Camralandny and am very impessed. He recommended them over the monarch atb and vortex diamondback. Were $319 I think and I paid $149 with free shipping.

Last edited by okgobbler; 02-06-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:53 PM
Typical Buck

"As I please", I agree leica, ziess, swarovski, top end leupold, etc are a lot better glass than nikon, pentax, minox, but not everyone has the funds to spend $500-$1500 on binoculars or one scope. So we try to find the best value for the dollars we have.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

OKgobbler,

Who is "He" ?

As in...................recommended.

BTW - I agree with you !

I use Burris, for rifle scopes anyway.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:24 PM
Typical Buck

Sheridan, "He" is Doug at cameralandny. Maybe he has just try to make a sale, but either way, I like the binoculars. I took them outside 29 minutes after official sunset and they were brighter than any of my FFII's(4 of them) and about even with my vari-x III scope. That is sufficient for me. We can deer hunt until 30 minutes after sunset.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Invincible :-)

Very colorful names my good friend.

I think it's just the attitude............Do you know that I mean ?

AKA.....................#458
Old 02-07-2010, 11:11 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Invincible
Prorate all the **** glass you've bought in your life,multiply that by the downtime incurred with same and the lost opportunities removed from the plate due solely to optical concession.

You'll discern that few things are as cheap as great glass,both initially and in the longterm. Start with greatness,end with greatness and note how it holds on to it's fiscal value during that span.

Start with ****,you end with **** and then can't sell it for ****...while suffering **** in the span.

Nothing adds Big Critters to a collection,like superlative bino's. Take that to the bank.

Very well stated. It took me a few years to realize this but optics is something I won't scrimp on any more. I have a couple of rifles in which the scope cost more than the gun. Not because I have expensive scopes - but because I would rather have a high quality scope and on gun of lesser quality than the converse.

It is often difficult to make people understand the value of quality optics when they can't see the difference between good glass and bad, or don't understand the value of quality glass with a lifetime warranty vs. cheap stuff that breaks and has to be replaced with regularity.

You can't shoot what you can't see. That is a truism in all facets of hunting.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

In the $300-$350 price range, the Pentax DCF WP-II 8x40 will be hard to beat. I am a Swarovski man ..... but I recently bought a hunting buddy of mine some binos. Frankly he ain't worth me dropping Swarovski like $$$$'s LOL. I bought these Pentax DCF WP-II's based soley upon reviews from many hunting, photo and birding magazines. These are superb for the $$$. Crisp, clean images Easy to focus. Plenty of eye relief. Moisture protected. Fine ergonomic design and fairly light weight. They might be slighly out of your stated price range, but the extra $$ is chump change. Look at "Bear Basin" for a typical on-line price. I think they are about $330.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I live in Montana & hunt in Montana & Wyoming. I use Swarovski 10x42 binos. I recommend 10x42 binos for hunting out west.
Check ebay for good quality used binos. You can save a few hundred below retail & still have just like new binos.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:11 PM
Fork Horn

I got a pair of leupold 10x42 windd river cascades for christmas and absolutely love them. They are crystal clear and run $300-$350, good glass for the price. If you are looking to order online, optics planet has great prices and service.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.