Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
Leica Geovid or EL's? >

Leica Geovid or EL's?

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Leica Geovid or EL's?

Old 12-12-2009, 03:53 PM
bigcountry

Default Leica Geovid or EL's?

I have used EL's and say they are awesome binocs. And Leica's are legendary. Thinking of buying some Leica Geovid 8X42's. They got some great rebates going.

Anyone try em?

Old 12-12-2009, 04:24 PM
bigcountry

Cameraland has a set of demos right now for 1400 dollars. Heck of a deal.

Old 12-13-2009, 04:51 AM
bigcountry

Dad gone, nobody has some high quality glass?

Old 12-13-2009, 09:45 AM
Fork Horn

removed by RD

Last edited by Ron Duval; 01-19-2010 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:05 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Ron Duval
For some reason that I don't understand, I don't see Leica glass often in the U.S., but see it on other continents. The Swarovski glass is very common both in spotting scopes and binoculars with guides and more hardcore hunters in the Rocky Mountain states. Go figure.
I have used Swarovski binoculars for years, and before that used mostly Zeiss. Several of the other guys used Zeiss also and one guy carried Leica. The Leica were very good but felt heavy. All of those guys have switched to either Swarovski or Leupold by now.
The folks that seem to know the most about good binoculars are the birdwatchers. Perhaps if you hit one of their sites you might find people that have used the ones that are drawing your interest.
We use Leica and minox microscopes for electronic assembly at work. Its considered the best. I have to say, I have never looked thru Leica's. Like you, EL's or simular is about the best I know people carry.

The RF capability of the leicas have me intrigued. For a hunter it just seems like a logical combination

Old 12-13-2009, 06:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

BC I have EL's but have had the chance to use the Geovids in the field a couple of times. I have to first say i love the view through and the feel of the EL's in my hand, as far as bins go I find it hard to like anything as much..disclaimer lol. However the Geovids while not as nice in my hand did offer crisp/clear pleasent views and performed in all lighting situations. The LRF worked as expected from lieca, repeatable and flawless. I agree 100% the LRF/bin combo makes absolute sense for hunting. I suppose if I hadn't fell so hard for the EL's and could have wrangled up a deal on the geovids I might have gone that route. However as mentioned I like my El's and wouldn't change them now.

Let your eyes do the talking! Not everyone sees or perceives the same, only way is to peer and compare (though I'm sure you know that all to well). Both excellent glass, no doubt!

Good Luck

Last edited by skeeter 7MM; 12-13-2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:08 AM
bigcountry

Thanks skeeter. Problem about high end binocs is the only way to tell if you really like em is to glass all day. Bad optics, and your head will pound. I will keep looking around.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wish I could be of some help on this one. I have only looked a the Leica bino's in the store. I ended up buying the Swarovski SLC 10x42's. You can never go wrong buying top quality glass. I would buy another pair of binos if I could justify the purchase.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:09 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Wolf killer
I wish I could be of some help on this one. I have only looked a the Leica bino's in the store. I ended up buying the Swarovski SLC 10x42's. You can never go wrong buying top quality glass. I would buy another pair of binos if I could justify the purchase.
Fellas, I am going with the leicas. It just seems to be a great combo. LRF and binocs. Problem with LRF is long range, you can can't hold steady enough. This solves that issue.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:44 AM
Spike

Smile Go with Leica

I have the 10x42 Geovids and would never use anything else. I hear that Swaro is coming out with RF bino's as well, possibly this year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.