Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
Night Vision Question?? >

Night Vision Question??

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Night Vision Question??

Old 12-07-2009, 11:00 AM
Typical Buck

Default Night Vision Question??

I am looking at getting a night vision scope. Not sure if I should be looking at the 2 Generation or the 3 Generation Scopes. I know that the 3 Gen would be better, but they are also $1,000 more. Anyone have any experience with night vision that can lend a hand? I am going to mount it on my AR-15 for varmit control. How far can you see and distinguish the target with each Generation?
Old 12-07-2009, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

my buddy has a day /night scope..at night you add stuff to the scope and he had a couple of inferred lights on it, one is good fer 50 yards, and a second that gets it out to 200 or so, both are usually on at the same time.

he said its an expensive rig, but it has a very good day scope as well..$2500 if i remember right is what he said it would take to get goin
Old 12-07-2009, 11:12 AM
Typical Buck

I think with the $2,500 pice range it was probably a 2 Gen night vision scope. Thanks for the info. 250 yards is nore than enough for me to see what I need to.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:34 PM
Fork Horn

Have spent a lot of time with NVG gear and theres no question you get what you pay for. For yot shooting you may be able to get by with something in the 2K range? To get one that really provides for clear target Id and positive zero hold you will have to jump to the 8k range. Used many at work and to get the real deal it took roughly 8K per scope.

Have you though about just going with a good rifle scope set-up and a quality red lens on a really good spot light? If 100-150 yards is all you need I would consider it..

Last edited by buckwild41; 12-09-2009 at 05:42 AM.