Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
Help on Scopes >

Help on Scopes

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Help on Scopes

Old 09-19-2009, 05:04 PM
Spike

Default Help on Scopes

I saw the Nikon Prostaff 3-9X50 at riflescopepro.com . They are selling it for $185.99. Do you think its reasonably priced? Someone please advise ASAP. I wanted this scope for my son's 18th B'day coming up next week.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:33 AM
Fork Horn

The price doesn't sound outrageous, but I'd be more curious about what gun the scope is intended for, or for what purpose.

I've got the 3-9x40 ProStaff, & I'm pleased with it for the $150 I paid. However, it's certainly not among my brightest scopes, and my hunch is that putting a 50mm lens in that scope for $189 means that the glass won't be of the highest quality. In other words, I'm not convinced you'll be getting much for your money.

Just my $.02.

FC
Old 09-21-2009, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

+1 FC's remarks. I personally shun lower quality optics.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:22 PM
Typical Buck

Nikon makes some good glass, but as with many companies there is a range of quality that is reflected in the price. You can't spend more than you can spend, but for the price range I'd look to the Leupold rifleman or a VX I. They and Swarovski (per consumers) are the best at honoring their warranties if there are failures. I think you might be able to buy Swarovski lens covers for that price. lol

I'm sure your son will appreciate what you get him. Many of us have used far poorer glass than your looking at for years before being able to upgrade. As stated above, quality of image and light gathering are notably better in higher end glass. The cheaper the scope, the less ability they seem to have to hold true over time--my observation anyway. I wouldn't be afraid to buy the scope your looking at.