Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
NEED!!!! advice on new scope looking at 2 options now, experienced opinions welcome. >

NEED!!!! advice on new scope looking at 2 options now, experienced opinions welcome.

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

NEED!!!! advice on new scope looking at 2 options now, experienced opinions welcome.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:19 PM
Spike

Default NEED!!!! advice on new scope looking at 2 options now, experienced opinions welcome.

I want to step up the quality of glass on my Rem. 700 .30/'06. I know there is a recent thread about this, but my price range is unfortunately lower, and I will give you any info you'd like if you think it will help.

I bought the gun with a cheapy Simmons 8-point 3-9x40 on it. I was looking at these two options and leaning toward the Sightron cause of the mil-dot reticle and the rave reveiws on Midway USA. Weaver is a well know brand with a good reputation and Field and Stream rated it the best new scope of the year and said it scored perfect on the box test, but it is new and therefore untested.

Weaver

sightron

They are about the same price on sale with different dealers, but I'm not sure which of the two is better. I'd really like some opinions or maybe what you would look at in the same price range.

I live in southwest NM I hunt everything from thick pine and deciduous forest to dead flat prairie,and I have intrest in hunting about anything on 4 legs that are legal to hunt. I am using "see through" scope mounts, which work well with my build so I have the option of using iron sights in closer. I am seriously considering getting a higher power scope for improved distance shooting and keeping the iron sights for out to 200 yds the previous owner had them sighted in for shots that far, and killed a cow elk at 217 or so with a well placed group of 2 or three rounds.(He hit in the right spot, but didn't use quality ammo). I figure if the scope is sighted at 200 or maybe 250 I could stretch out to 500yrds or so if I practice to read the distance and have good enough groups at that range. I've done the number crunching and know the round can be deadly to that range if I can ethically make the shot.

I couldn't afford spending more than about 200 or so on a scope in the next 3-4 months so if you have experience with scopes in this range I'd like to hear what you have used and liked or disliked.

Thanks, Joseph
Old 08-29-2009, 02:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Go to E-Bay and put in item number 310163929538. It should be a new matt Bushnell Elite 3200 3x9x40 with rainguard. Bid price now at $169.99 and buy now price $174.99, free shipping. At less than $200 I don't think you can beat the scope. Look around and you might find one for a little less, but they are good scopes for the money.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

As Timbercruiser mentioned, the Bushy Elite 3200's are good for the $ and would serve your purpose well. Others to consider are the Nikon Buckmasters and/ or the Nikon Team Primos. Regarding the two you mentioned, I'd not use either. Also, I'd lose the see-thru mounts in a hurry.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Make sure you get a lifetime Warranty !!!
Old 08-31-2009, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

My opinion would be not to skimp on the glass. You invested good money into a quality rifle, why throw a sub-standard scope on it???
Old 08-31-2009, 03:55 PM
Spike

What is the problem with the see through mounts? I haven't had them give me any problems. They actually work better than most lower mounts. I like them and don't see why I should get rid of them. Could you give me a reason?
Old 09-01-2009, 07:04 AM
Fork Horn

removed by RD

Last edited by Ron Duval; 01-20-2010 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

+1 Ron Duval's comments. In addition to the cheek weld and height issues, see-thru mounts are typically weaker and more prone to failure. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:43 PM
Spike

So If I don't beat my gun, the height works for me, and I check bullet drop at the ranges.(I have a 1000yd range right outside of town.) Then I should be ok with the see-throughs?
Old 09-02-2009, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey man, if you like (and choose to use) see-thru's that is certainly fine. They are just not my cup-o-tea. Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.