Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
BEST scope for your MONEY >

BEST scope for your MONEY

Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

BEST scope for your MONEY

Old 08-20-2009, 10:17 AM
Fork Horn

FC---let me give a car example to get my point across. The best all around sports car is the Corvette. I mean you have a 60-$80,000 car that competes and even BEATS cars costing 3 times as much. You have Porches, Ferraris, Lambos..all very fine automobiles....but I can get the same if not better performacne for a fraction of the cost...with the Corvette.
This is what I am inquring about with scopes. I truely appreciate you comments and you are correct that the list you provided does indeed make an impact. However, I'm looking for the best overall bang for the buck and to get Models of scopes I can hopefully go look at and make my mind up based on MY eyes and wallet. I have NOT had the chance to see the Monarch side by side with the Conquest. And I've only seen them indoors under artificial light. I was blown away the 1st time I looked through a Monarch. When I looked through a Conquest (again a different time), I saw it was a nice scope but nothing that made me want to get an extra $200 bills out of my wallet. I know I need to see them side by side under my hunting conditions to make a fair comparison; after sunset. Easier said than done. I did look through a Meopta the other day when I took a small road trip to go to a Sporting goods store. MAN, I was "wowed" again. Extremely clear optics. Again I was indoors though.

Sheridan--What makes the Swarvoski Z6 the BEST? Cause it costs over 2 grand??? I'm not being disrespectful or an a$$. I'm asking a genuine question. Is the Swarvoski glass processed better in such a way that it lets more light in and has clearer optics...even clearer than Zeiss or Meopta. I don't want to spend $2,000 if a $500 or $600 scope will do the job for me. I'm truely interested in how EACH manufactuer process their glass for their scopes. I've learned through some optic forums that Nikon learned a lot from Zeiss after the war and then started their own business from what they learned. Meopta is a Chezoslovakia company (American owned though now) that uses German milling machines for their glass. I don't know much about Swarovski..other than they're Austrian or German..Austrian I think. And of course Zeiss is German. I'd like to know where each manufactuering plant is for each manufactuer. IS Zeiss made in Germany..or made in China/Vietnam with German glass etc. Thanks for all the replys---Bboy623
Old 08-20-2009, 10:26 AM
Typical Buck

Swaro IS better, atleast to my eyes. But there is a price/performance curve, and that $1500 difference only looked like its worth about $100 to my eyes. So I stay in the $300-500 for scopes. I think they are the best value for my dollar.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:05 AM
Spike

Here is what use to be the # 1 scope amoung all hunters back in the day.

Lets see who can I.D it the fastest.And No its not a leupold.

Last edited by Rodngun; 08-25-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:12 AM
Fork Horn

Redfield??--DrASUS
Old 08-20-2009, 11:20 AM
Spike

Smile

Doc-

Did you know that because of the picture or because I said -back in the day??

You hit the nail on the head.. 6x Redfield..use to be the # 1 scope amoung hunters.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Dollar for dollar I use Burris (see link for why).

http://www.chuckhawks.com/overview_burris_optics.htm

But that's because I don't have the money to afford Swarvoski.

If you like the car comparison: "I WANT a Ferrari !!!"

Or as they said in Pretty Women - "it's the best"

Here is what I put on all my rifles;

http://www.opticsplanet.net/burris-4...le-scopes.html

cause that's when 95% of the deer move.--DrASUS

Just another reason why I use this particular Burris scope (lighted reticle with ballistic plex).

Work for mw anyway !

Last edited by Sheridan; 08-20-2009 at 11:47 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:37 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by DrAsus
FC---let me give a car example to get my point across. The best all around sports car is the Corvette. I mean you have a 60-$80,000 car that competes and even BEATS cars costing 3 times as much. You have Porches, Ferraris, Lambos..all very fine automobiles....but I can get the same if not better performacne for a fraction of the cost...with the Corvette.
This is what I am inquring about with scopes.
An embarassment of optical riches - such are the problems we have as sportsmen these days! There are just too many freakin' choices, and it's impossible, for all practical purposes, for us to evaluate every possible scope out there. So we each have to decide what "enough" searching looks like, and make our choices when we get to that point.

I do like your point about multiples, as in a Corvette holding its own with cars costing 2x or 3x as much. In scopes, it's really tough to argue that a $1,200 scope is really 3x "better" than a $400 scope. There may be upgraded internals, but much of the cost goes toward getting the last little bit better glass or coatings.

Now, it's a fairly safe bet that almost any $150 scope will be at least 5x better than an $30 bubble-wrapped scope at the chain store. Clearer, more durable, better adjustments, etc. However, it's much harder to argue that a $300 scope is truly twice as good as the $150 scope. You may see a difference (or maybe even not), but most folks wouldn't say it's twice the difference.
Going from $300 to $600 will produce an even smaller difference, and so on.

My opinion is that spending $200 will get you a serviceable scope that will last a long time, and you'll be buying a company that will take care of you if it doesn't last a long time. The scopes you're talking about - Monarch, Conquest, Meopta - would all serve you incredibly well, and would likely make most of us quite envious! If there's one that Wow's you, especially for the price, it would be hard not to buy it.

Again, your eyes have to make the decision, but you'll notice some recurring themes on the subject of "bang for the buck": Bushnell 4200, Conquest, Sightron, etc. These $300 to $400 scopes are where an awful lot of shooters end up, failing to see much if any difference when the prices go beyond this level.

FC
Old 08-20-2009, 11:52 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Dollar for dollar I use Burris (see link for why).

http://www.chuckhawks.com/overview_burris_optics.htm

But that's because I don't have the money to afford Swarvoski.

If you like the car comparison: "I WANT a Ferrari !!!"

Or as they said in Pretty Women - "it's the best"

Here is what I put on all my rifles;

http://www.opticsplanet.net/burris-4...le-scopes.html

cause that's when 95% of the deer move.--DrASUS

Just another reason why I use this particular Burris scope (lighted reticle with ballistic plex).

Work for mw anyway !

How the hell did we go from scopes to cars??
Sheridan: I only quoted you on the "lighted" reticles.Some places you can not use those types of scopes.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:05 PM
Fork Horn

Rodngun----probably because you said "back in the day"....when I was a kid I went hunting with my dad and his friend. His friend always bought the "best" and I remembered he had a Redfield. What ever happen to them---they go out of business? I had my mind made up on a Monarch 2.5-10X42. Then I started second guessing that choice because 1) I think I want a 30mm scope for the best light possible 2) Numerous people's opinions on this site and optic forums that believe the Zeiss is a better scope 3) I was going with the BDC reticle but am thinking against it at this time due to a review by a member who advised the circles are hard to see in low light. And I'll be making my shots in low light. I still would like to have a ballistic reticle OR a scope like I have now..let me explain: I have a Tasco 6-24X40 trajectory scope. I know I know...way too much power and a crappy scope...compared to what we're talking about here. Anyways...I sighted my scope in at 100 yards. It has a dial on top that you click to the appropiate yardage and the shot is dead on. So if a deer is at 250 yards..I click to 250...put the crosshairs dead on and squeeze....deer drops over dead..or runs off and I follow the blood trail. I can go up to 500 yards with this scope. I just have to keep using the same ammo that i used when I sighted her in with..which in my case is Remington Core Lock 150gr. That's what I'm wanting and I can't find anything except ballistic reticles. Swarovski by far has the BEST looking ballistic reticles that I've seen. How are the American series Swarovskis? And what is the AV series Swarovskis?

Sheridan--I haven't had a chance to click on your links..but will and I'll check out the Burris as well---thank you for your help.

Again guys...not to beat a dead horse..I just don't want to spend a thousand dollars if a $400 Moanarh or $500 Conquest will do what I am looking for---putting meat in the freezer and hopefully a trophy on the wall!
Any help/insight on the ballistic reticles is greatly appreciated. I'm wanting to rescope my BAR and I also want to get a X-bolt. But the rescoping the .270 BAR is FIRST!--DrASUS

Last edited by DrAsus; 08-20-2009 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:56 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by DrAsus
Rodngun----probably because you said "back in the day"....when I was a kid I went hunting with my dad and his friend. His friend always bought the "best" and I remembered he had a Redfield. What ever happen to them---they go out of business? I had my mind made up on a Monarch 2.5-10X42. Then I started second guessing that choice because 1) I think I want a 30mm scope for the best light possible 2) Numerous people's opinions on this site and optic forums that believe the Zeiss is a better scope 3) I was going with the BDC reticle but am thinking against it at this time due to a review by a member who advised the circles are hard to see in low light. And I'll be making my shots in low light. I still would like to have a ballistic reticle OR a scope like I have now..let me explain: I have a Tasco 6-24X40 trajectory scope. I know I know...way too much power and a crappy scope...compared to what we're talking about here. Anyways...I sighted my scope in at 100 yards. It has a dial on top that you click to the appropiate yardage and the shot is dead on. So if a deer is at 250 yards..I click to 250...put the crosshairs dead on and squeeze....deer drops over dead..or runs off and I follow the blood trail. I can go up to 500 yards with this scope. I just have to keep using the same ammo that i used when I sighted her in with..which in my case is Remington Core Lock 150gr. That's what I'm wanting and I can't find anything except ballistic reticles. Swarovski by far has the BEST looking ballistic reticles that I've seen. How are the American series Swarovskis? And what is the AV series Swarovskis?

Sheridan--I haven't had a chance to click on your links..but will and I'll check out the Burris as well---thank you for your help.

Again guys...not to beat a dead horse..I just don't want to spend a thousand dollars if a $400 Moanarh or $500 Conquest will do what I am looking for---putting meat in the freezer and hopefully a trophy on the wall!
Any help/insight on the ballistic reticles is greatly appreciated. I'm wanting to rescope my BAR and I also want to get a X-bolt. But the rescoping the .270 BAR is FIRST!--DrASUS

Yeah-they are history..what happen to them ?? Thats another easy one..
Imports killed them...kinda like what happen to Winchester and whats going on with all other AMERICAN guns...being put out of business due to some import.Somehow or another this country has gotten the idea that imports are better.Dont even get me started on that issue.But thats the reason.
I love this one: happens alot - Guy jumps out of his Toyota,grabs his China made waders..imported deks and then grabs his Benelli and then starts raising holly hell about how things are getting so messed up in America and how screwed up the economy is-yada yada..yeah-gotta love this guy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.