Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
Vortex--Nikon scopes--- >

Vortex--Nikon scopes---

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Vortex--Nikon scopes---

Old 08-07-2009, 02:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default Vortex--Nikon scopes---

Iv'e been reading so much about scopes, I'm probabely almost confused. The Sportsmans Guide carrys a good selection of Nikon and Vortex scopes at what appears to be very reasonable prices. I seem to remember some of you saying that the Vortex line is a good line and of course so is Nikon. I tried to find the thread where the Votex was reccomended, but could not. Weren't there some of you who have or have had them and found them to be well made and reliable? I'm getting the idea that any of the mid-range and up from Leupold, Burris, Sightron, Nikon, Vortex, Bushnell, and a couple others would be a good choice. Please give me some feedback------John
Old 08-08-2009, 05:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

John,

You got it right !

It's the old saying; you get what you pay for !!!

So, buy the best you can afford from a reputable manufacturer.

Only pay for it once by insuring that it comes with a lifelong warranty.

Go to a store where you can compare them side by side.

Then you make the call as to which one is "best".

Good luck with your decision !!!
Old 08-09-2009, 02:37 AM
Fork Horn

Sheridan, thanks for the sound advice. Iv'e been looking at the Bushnell Elite, 4200, 2.5x10x40, at $399, the Burris Fullfield II, 4.5-14x42 at about $325, and the Sightron SII Big Sky 3-9x42 for $381. I'm by no means basing these choices on cost alone, Iv'e gone to the web sites and done some research, plus the help and feedback from the shooters on this forum. Would this be a good place to start to scope a .300 WSM? John
Old 08-09-2009, 04:01 AM
Fork Horn

Any of the 3 would be a good choice, heard good things about Big Sky but have no experience. You cant go wrong ever with a Bushness 4200, but I have always used a Burris, I love the optics, price, quality and customer service!! the 300wsm is what I used and I went with the Ziess 3.5-10X50, it is double the price of what you listed but it went on a custom gun and I wanted a scope to match, of the 3 you listed I would go with the Busnell, 2.5 will work in brush or out of a tree stand and the 10 power is plenty for long range. The bushnell next to my ziess is a very close second!
Old 08-09-2009, 04:16 AM
ASK
Spike

I'm confused too....

ASK
Old 08-09-2009, 04:27 AM
Fork Horn

I just don't have the loot to buy a Zeiss. Iv'e got to buy a good scope for two different big bores and I'm allowing about $1000 to do it which will be more than enough, but not nearly enough to put Zwarovski or Zeiss on them. If I go with the Bushnell, and I'm leaning in that direction, don't they have those sun shade extensions for them? Like you see on the Muellers? I think they are a good idea, they work and I like the look. Thought I remembered hearing that on the forum--------
Old 08-09-2009, 05:56 AM
Fork Horn

I have never felt or seen the need for a sunshade unless you are shooting prairie dogs, I doubt you would ever need it on a 300wsm, you can get two elite 4200 bush and have a couple hundred bucks left for ammo, mounts, beer
seriously though people overlook the mounts go with talley or warned, something solid and proven!
Old 08-09-2009, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

In their price ranges, the Bushy Elite 4200's , the Vortex Vipers and the Sightron Big Sky scopes are VERY GOOD. They will serve the intended purpose very well.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:12 AM
Typical Buck

Vortex makes high quality optics for very reasonable prices. You can check them out here: www.vortexoptics.com
If you live around southern Wi. you can visit thier office in Middleton and check out thier entire product line first hand.
I have found Vortex bino's to be as good as swarovski's but not even close to the high price........
Old 08-09-2009, 02:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

John,

You need to consider a few more factors;

How far do you expect to shoot ? - the further you expect to shoot, the more power you need (10X is good for most) I use 4X-16X because I live out west.

The objective lense is measured in MM's - the larger the more light gathering ability, but the higher you need to mount the scope.

I'm only 5'6" so I put 44MM scopes on my rifles (happy medium), so I can still use low rings which enables me to maintain a good cheek weld on the stock.

Most importantly, with a 300WSM (magnum round), I would recommend over built rings and bases.

I use Burris's new Zee rings (read why below) and "weaver style" bases (# of good ones out there).

http://www.burrisoptics.com/sigrings1.html#2

I put this set-up on all my rifles including my little .204 (I like things over built, as I said).

All any of us can do is to make the best "informed" decision possible given our individual budgets.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.