Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
Spotting Scopes >

Spotting Scopes

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Spotting Scopes

Old 08-06-2009, 05:30 AM
Spike

Default Spotting Scopes

Any recomendations on a spotting scope that won't break the bank? I would love a $300+ but like everyone else not that much extra cash this year. Any recomendations sub-$200? It will be used elk hunting.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry I can't help you on exact brand/model but stick with smaller magnification (20-25x) and lens (50mm), and get the best model you can get in that size/price range. The reason for that is the bigger optic lens & power they get, the more it costs. Therefore you'll be able to get a better quality smaller scope than a larger scope within the same price range. I'd recommend you save up & get the best you possibly can within your budget.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default old

removed by RD

Last edited by Ron Duval; 01-19-2010 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I want to echo "Stalkingbear". About 20 years ago now, I made a mistake with both binoculars and with a spotting scope, trying to "'save $$$". I aimed too low and wasted about $500 of my hard earned $$$'s. You will do good if you save up all that you can, and go as high up the food chain of optics as you can manage. There are no secrets to high quality optics. Makers linger at the price ranges in which they have chosen to compete because there is where they can be profitable. Some are indeed "bargains" for the $$$, but the rule of thumb is that you get what you pay for in optics.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree 100% with the (already) posted comments.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with the others, unfortunately personal experience is the reason. However if you must buy now may want to check ebay for a Bausch & Lomb Elite 15x45x60mm. These have been discounted so you may find some deals on them, they are decent scopes. I have an elite, it's worked well for the 6 years I've owned it. I have a more spendy spotter now for field use but my elite is still my range spotter.