Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
Which scope? >

Which scope?

Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Which scope?

Old 07-17-2009, 02:02 PM
Typical Buck

Default Which scope?

Here's the skinny, I need a scope for my Marlin 30-30 been 3 years since i've had it out and for the past 3 years i've said im going to get a new scope for it so I can take it out hunting.So now is the time,I found a good deal on a 3x9x50 Leupold rifleman for $150,it is used,but then my other choice is the Nikon 3x9x40 that walmart sells new for $149.So which one would you guys reccomend? The used leupold or new Nikon? The leupold looks new
Old 07-19-2009, 04:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Red face scope choice

Neither. That rifle "screams" for a small, lightweight, lower powered scope (if any). I'd put a 4X on it. IMO, 3-9 is way overpowered.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd chose the Nikon out of those two. I have a Leupold VX-I that's a step above the Rifleman and I hate it. I've sent it into Leupold 2 times in the 1 and a half years I've used it. I just don't like it at all when it's working and it doesn't seem to be all that reliable. I had others tell me that it's just because it's a cheaper Leupold. If This Leupold is like this I'd hate to see what a even cheaper one is like. It also seemed to lose zero very easy if you dropped it or anything like that happened to it. I just don't like this scope. Maybe I got a bad one or maybe they are all like this I don't know. I do know I know 2 other people that have used them. One likes his and the other one sold it after he got it back from Leupolds repair and he says the same thing I do about them. He had the same problem mine did too. To me that's not good odds. I know tons of guys with Tasco's and Simmons which are known for being crappy scopes and not many of them have had them fail.

After owning Simmon's and Tasco scopes to compare to the Leupold I'd buy a Leupold and I'd hands down buy a Simmons before I bought another Leupold.

Another scope I own that's slightly more than $150 is the Burris Fullfield II. I love that scope. For the season I used it it seemed to hold zero great and so far has been reliable. It also blows the Leupold out of the water to me when it comes to clairty and low light situations. I couldn't be happier with this scope. I wasn't sure if I'd like it when I got it or not but I have really been impressed with it.

I've also got a cheap Simmons that's taken 5 years of abuse of being thrown around and bouncing around in the truck and has been a great scope. Not as clear as the Burris but clear enough and way cheaper.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:34 AM
Fork Horn

If I were you I would get a bushnell scopechief for $100 I have one on my Marlin xl7 and it works awesome looks good too.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:36 AM
Fork Horn

You can get a Nikon Pro Staff 2-7x32 on E-Bay for $100 or so shipped. Most are factory refurbished, but if you are patient, you can get a new one shipped for $100 - $110.

If you really want a 3-9x40 (which is too much for a 30-30 -- I prefer the 2-7x32), you can get a new Pro Staff shipped for $112 on E-Bay.

The 2-7 has plenty of eye relief, and a 75 yard parallax setting -- just about right for a 30-30, at least here in Michigan. I bought a refurbished one and have not had any problems with it. Nikon has great service, and stands behind their products very well. This would be my choice for a new scope.

Last edited by wolverine72; 07-21-2009 at 11:38 AM.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:42 PM
Fork Horn

What Wolverine72 said. The 2x7x32 Nikon Prostaff is a perfect fit for the 30-30. If you don't want to mail order then Walmart's got them for $129. I have a 2x7 on a Marlin 336 in 35 rem. I would not recommend a 3x9x40 on a lever action. Even if you plan on using Hornady LE ammo to extend your ranges the 2x7 will still give you enough magnification. Last year I shot 2 deer with my Marlin 35/2x7...one at 14 yards and one at 140 yards. Not bragging, just expressing the versatility of the 2x7.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:32 PM
Fork Horn

if you have the money get a sarowoski(spelling)
Old 07-26-2009, 04:58 AM

A 4x32 would probably work best for your 30/30. I prefer nikon scopes clear vision and lifetime warranty. 3-9x40 is too much scope and waste of $$$
Old 07-28-2009, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Others have comments similar to much of what I would say, so any of that would be just more "pile ons".

So I will take a somewhat different tact. Same advice I have given for decades. This is one area that you really do get what you pay far. For many folks, it is a big time strain to save up $300 - $600 for a scope, but I will stick to my guns on this ... until you get into this range of pricing you are not getting "better" quality. In my opinion, there are some real bargains out there. Though I have scopes costing 3X to 5X as much ... the Elite 4200, Leupold Vari-X III and Zeiss Conquest lines give the purchaser a great deal of value. These fall within that $300 - $600 bracket.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:39 PM
Spike

For the money I like the nikon buckmaster line!