HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Optics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/optics-85/)
-   -   Leupold for my first centerfire rifle (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/optics/292787-leupold-my-first-centerfire-rifle.html)

bmumford 04-26-2009 10:58 AM

Leupold for my first centerfire rifle

I just bought my first centerfire rifle (left-handed), a Savage 116 in .30-06. I plan on hunting whitetail and black bear. I need a scope but I'm not sure if I should get a VX-II, VX-III, or VX-3. Also, since it's a stainless barrel, should I get silver?

Also, what kind of reticle do you recommend?

Lastly, I don't have a clue about mounting hardware. I'd prefer to find something in stainless. Do I need it in lefty?

Sorry about all the questions. I guess there is a little something for everyone to weigh in about.

salukipv1 04-26-2009 11:27 AM

RE: Leupold for my first centerfire rifle

I'd get a vx-iii over a vx-ii hands down.

If you can afford a zeiss conquest, may want to take a look at those. It's a step up IMO.

I'd get a black scope even with a stainless barrel. Get at least a 3.5-10x

Your standard duplex will be fine, if you really want to shoot 400 or 500yds you can get the boone and crockett reticle.

Leupold makes some decent mounts, lately I've been going with Talley's.

stubblejumper 04-26-2009 01:29 PM

If you even considering a VXIII OR VX3,I would go with a Zeiss Conquest instead.A 3x9x40 is a great choice for an all around hunting scope.

bugsNbows 04-27-2009 08:43 AM

I'd recommend you look at Warne mounts (solid and fairly priced) and I too would get a VXIII or a VX3 over a VXII. It's nearly impossible to match silver scopes and stainless barrels so I would stay with black.

Ron Duval 04-27-2009 09:27 AM

old

removed by RD

bugsNbows 04-27-2009 01:21 PM

Ron, IMO Leupy's are good to be sure BUT there are many other decent scopes (in that price range) with as good or better glass, good CS, reliability and repeatability.

liquidorange 04-27-2009 05:41 PM

a vari x ii is a fine scope for that gun.if it were me i would check ebay or gun broker. there are plenty of new condition display or used ones out there 150-250$ . i would go for a 40mm scope. the good news is that there is a lifetime warranty on the leupy and if you feel the need to upgrade you will be able to sell it for what you paid. i second the warne mounts or the weaver steel grand slam rings and mounts for a little less.i wouldnt worry about the color. just get the best deal then pick up a camo beartooth scope guard cover. it will keep the glare off and keep the scope body from scratches.

Ron Duval 04-28-2009 12:38 PM

old

removed by RD

skeeter 7MM 04-28-2009 08:53 PM

Matte black scope and rings, if it were me. Looks good on ss and like mentioned more functional down the road.

In terms of what brand of mounts. I like myWarne maxima's & Talley LW's. Also haven't had any issues with Leupold Double Dovetail's, just prefer the other 2 now. You don't need lefthand specific mounts for any of these 3, I'm a southpaw as well.;)Do need the right bases for your model of rifle though.

In terms of scope, I think you owe to yourself to do some looking throughvarious scopes and deciede which is the best for your budget/situation. I have had several brands from tasco to zeiss. I know my preferences but they may not be the same for you.3 on the low side to 9/10 on the high is all that required for big game hunting on the power side. 40(ish)mm objective as well, usually the best practice to mount scope as low as possible & a 50 will require your ring sizesgoes up to accomidate the larger bell.

Wolf killer 04-29-2009 10:26 AM

Leupold makes great rings & bases for there scopes. I would look around for a Vari X-III and then have the storemount the scope and bore sight it for you. They will have everything you need to get the scope mounted right. A boresighted scope will only get get you on paper. You will have to spend time at the range to get it sighted in. Start shooting at 25-yards, makes the adjustments needed then move out to 100-yards. You will need to make some adjustments at 100-yards also. Then you will be sighted in & ready to hunt,unlessyou want to shoot yourifle at 200 or300-yards.

Good luck & have fun,

WK