HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Optics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/optics-85/)
-   -   Range finders ?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/optics/290692-range-finders.html)

dennvt 03-31-2009 07:35 AM

Range finders ??

Any one got some input on range finders? I have read that some don't do good on animals. If you have one cna you let me know what brand and how you like it.
Thanks

omegasmoke 03-31-2009 02:04 PM

RE: Range finders ??

I have a nikon monarch 800 that works well. I dont hunt areas where I need yardages on game past about 250 yds but I dont have problems with it at that range. I read a lot of reviews before I purchased one, and the nikons had some of the best reviews for units in the $300 price range. I dont care which unit it is, you will always find a few negative reports. I'd say the most negatives are with the lower endbushnells, but I'm sure there's plenty of folks who like the bushnells too. FYI the nikon 800 usually goes for around $350. I picked a brand new one up on ebay for $215.

rimjob_rob 03-31-2009 02:41 PM

I have the Bushnell Scout 1000. I like it a lot. I don't think I would be too worried about how well it does on animals. I have ranged deer out to about 300 and cows to close to 600, but I have never ranged an animal that I have shot. Most of the time you are ranging objects for reference for when the animal you are pursuing walks in, not the actual animal.

rimjob_rob 03-31-2009 02:43 PM

I want to take that back somewhat. It depends on what kind of hunting you are doing. If you are doing a spot and stalk, you will probably range the animal or something solid beside it, but if you are stand hunting is what I was referring to before. You will usually have a bunch of objects around you already ranged by the time you see and animal walk out.

skeeter 7MM 03-31-2009 10:06 PM

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

most of the cheaper rangefinders will range a deer sized soft target to just about 1/2 the rated range (ie, a bushy 800 will range a deer to approx. 400 yards) in average conditions. The decent rangefinders start with the leica and go up.
I have ranged a deer with my leica 1200 to 1218 yards, swuaro's will range hard targets to just over 1 mile. had a bushy 600 that never ranged nothin past 400 yards.
For bow hunting any of them will work, if you wanna range groundhogs and such, get the best you can afford.
RR
My experience as well. Leica is where it starts at and unless your needing more or the best is all most will ever need. I have a Leica 900 LRF that has ranged deer to over 800 yards and best part is came back with the same range time after time! Something that isn't mentioned a lot is the LED colour, leica's (swaro's as well) use red which is much easier to acquire the target and see the read out. Low light or daylight redIMO is more user friendly.

As far as cost your getting more for your dollar and I have learned the hardway that spending more upfront is actually cheaper in many cases;)!

bugsNbows 04-01-2009 03:28 AM

I'd recommend the Leica. They work extremely well are very visible, portable and relatively tough (keep in mind it is a fine optical instrument... no throwing or using as a hammer...LOL). I looked at a Swaro that was very nice also but I'll still take the Leica. The CRF1200 is about $600 (which is not bad IMO). The Swaro I checked out was over $900.

Canned Heat 04-02-2009 05:53 AM

I would say if money's not an issue, go with some of the higher end models. I hunt more than anyone I know for quite a few different things and use mine as a gauge for things out to probably no farther than 300, in most instances. I'll use it to set-up my turkey zone, gauging my dekes and/or any landforms or trees so I know what I'm at no matter where the birds come in from. I'll use it for gun deer season in the stand as well as bow also for gauging the length of shooting lanes and how far away a certain tree or other landform is away from me. I'll target spot for yote hunting from where my set-up is and that's usually no further than 300 yds. It's a versatile tool for alot of different scenarios, but for what I use it for, dropping a boatload of money just didn't make sense. I should add that when I got mine (Bushnell Yardage Pro Legend camo) quite a few years ago already, there weren't as many options or makes as there are now. Sure, I'd like one with a bit more magnification and maybe the ARC for getting true angle distance, but for what I use it for....it's perfect.

1eyebuck 04-10-2009 05:10 PM

I recommend you save your money and get something you don't need a range finder. I have a weatherby 300 mag and 0 - 375 no drop and at500 8.5 inches low. You tell me, 2500 for the range finder to shoot something at 100 yards or 800 for the gun and shoot somethingout to500 yards no problem.

glockman55 04-11-2009 03:19 AM

180 PSP CL
1.4-100 yd
1.3-150 yd
zero-200 yd
-2.5-250 yd
-6.4-300 yd
-18.9-400 yd
-38.7-500 yd

Just a little off...LOL

1eyebuck 04-11-2009 02:06 PM

glockman55I have no idea where you get your information from but I suggest you look again.