Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Scopes for less than $300 >

Scopes for less than $300

Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Scopes for less than $300

Old 03-05-2009, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scopes for less than $300

Get a Leupold vx2 or Nikon Monarch and you'll not have to worry about it.Hometheaterman is basing ALL his negative opinion of leupold on just 1 example. I can't blame him BUT you shouldn't base ALL opinion on just 1 example. I've had EXCELLENT luck with Leupold over the years, based on DOZENS of examples. Here's an excellent Leupold vx2 for 329$. http://www.swfa.com/pc-3457-86-leupold-3-9x40-vx-ii-riflescope.aspx
Old 03-09-2009, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yup. I've only had this one Leupold so I can't comment on others. However, I will say I have 2 buddies with them and one other one had the same problem I did where it adjusted itself. He sent it to Leupold for repair and sold it. Well, traded it when it got back so he never got to see if it was fixed or not. I'd say 2 out of 3 of the scopes I know of being bad isn't a good ratio. The other buddy with one got one on his muzzle loader he got before this last hunting season. He will tell you he hasn't shot it enough to know if he likes it or not.

I'm not saying that they are all bad as from what I understand the majority of them are problem free and great I'm just saying I wasn't one that got one that was great nor was my buddy. They do have great customer service I must say though. I can't complain much about that. The actual customer service was great the fact that it broke a 2nd time is all I can complain about.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:55 PM

I have a leupold and I can tell you even though it has a great reputation, I will never buy another. I purchased a new 3x9x40 matt finish brand new. It's avx II, I purchased it for 229.00 a few years back. I put it on my mark v ss 300 weatherby mag. Something went wrong with the scope and because they advertise in hand warrantee I sent it back. The manager called me and said the scope is so old they don't have parts for it. I asked what he was smoking. I said the scope is 2 years old and I purchased it brand new. He said if I did I would have sent in the box and bag. I said why would I do that? There is no guarantee I would get that back. He said well I can tell how old it is by the letter e in the beginning of the scope. I said you're a complete idiot and have no idea what you're doing. They didn't even have matt finish back then. I said what happened to in hand warrantee? He said ok we will do what we can and ship it back to you. When I got it back it was damaged. It had a scratch in the lens. Since then I purchased a Nikon scope. I have to say it's one of the best scopes I ever had. It's very clear and when it starts to get dark the recitals start lighting up making it very easy to see the crosshairs as well as the target. I shot a 10 pointer this year with it and the deer was at 50 yards the scope was set at 7 power. I had no time to react and had no issues seeing the deer and the spot I wanted to shoot him at. Anyhow like the other said, you should have no problem finding a good scope for that price. Good luck.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 1eyebuck

I have a leupold and I can tell you even though it has a great reputation, I will never buy another. I purchased a new 3x9x40 matt finish brand new. It's avx II, I purchased it for 229.00 a few years back. I put it on my mark v ss 300 weatherby mag. Something went wrong with the scope and because they advertise in hand warrantee I sent it back. The manager called me and said the scope is so old they don't have parts for it. I asked what he was smoking. I said the scope is 2 years old and I purchased it brand new. He said if I did I would have sent in the box and bag. I said why would I do that? There is no guarantee I would get that back. He said well I can tell how old it is by the letter e in the beginning of the scope. I said you're a complete idiot and have no idea what you're doing. They didn't even have matt finish back then. I said what happened to in hand warrantee? He said ok we will do what we can and ship it back to you. When I got it back it was damaged. It had a scratch in the lens. Since then I purchased a Nikon scope. I have to say it's one of the best scopes I ever had. It's very clear and when it starts to get dark the recitals start lighting up making it very easy to see the crosshairs as well as the target. I shot a 10 pointer this year with it and the deer was at 50 yards the scope was set at 7 power. I had no time to react and had no issues seeing the deer and the spot I wanted to shoot him at. Anyhow like the other said, you should have no problem finding a good scope for that price. Good luck.
Yep from everything I've heard and read Nikon makes some great scopes. I've never personally owned one but I wouldn't hesitate to try them out. I thought seriously about them in the past but ended up with my Burris due to a deal that was too good to pass up. I like it much much better than the Leupold but can't comment on how it will hold up as I've only had it one hunting season. Of course the Leupold started acting up in less than a year too. So far so good and from looking through it I love it.

Like I said though I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Nikon if I needed a scope and found one in my price range that did what I wanted. I may very well have gotten one last time but the Burris just fit the bill and I don't regret my purchase.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default Scopes for less than $300

removed by RD

Last edited by Ron Duval; 01-21-2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:13 PM
Fork Horn

What do you guys think of Pentax? They advertise a forever warranty.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:11 AM
Fork Horn

The best scope for the money is either a leupold VXII or a bushnell 4200. I personally would pick the VXII over the 4200 but that is just MHO.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:13 AM
Typical Buck

my main complaint with leupold is the lack of power when compaired to other brands. i've seen three 3x9x40's that you couldn't see a bullet hole in white metal at 100yds with them on 9power. with most other brands i can see them on 6power. there is no standard for power level,so 9power with one brand may not be 9power with another brand.

i see alot of guys that love the 3200-4200 bushnell sccopes,i'd go with the nikon,they make there own glass. most companies just buy there glass .
Old 03-17-2009, 09:23 AM
Fork Horn

I have compared everything under the sun in low light conditions and i can tell you that a leupold VXIIIis hands down better than a nikon Monarchin low light. Monarch actually is more comparable to the VXII line of scopes.Not to mention the leupolds are 100% made in the USA where the nikons are made in japan. and the leupold warranty is the best in the biz...

Pentax makes good glass, only downside to them is they are HEAVY!
Old 03-17-2009, 03:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Lupy's may be assembled in the U.S., but they buy their glass from Japan.

Quick Reply: Scopes for less than $300

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.