Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Bases & Rings? >

Bases & Rings?

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Bases & Rings?

Old 01-30-2009, 06:40 AM

Default Bases & Rings?

What type of base & rings would say are more secure in the sence that once installed theywon't move or loosen. Leupold std base & rings or weaver style base & rings?
Thanks
Marc
Old 01-30-2009, 07:23 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bases & Rings?

You can't really go wrong either way. Of the two, I prefer the Weavers, but that's just me.

FC
Old 01-30-2009, 11:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've mostly only used leupolds, single dovetail, but I kinda like the dual dovetail, I rarely see them though.

My last 2 sets I've bought have been Talley's, 1 screw lok, 1 lightweight 1 pieces, they're very nice.

Use lock tite, and do you lapp the rings? something to consider doing....did it for the first time on my last set of talley's pretty easy to do well.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:42 PM
Typical Buck

Weaver style base and Burris sig. series rings.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:48 PM
Typical Buck

Picatinney style. . . .or maybe a quality Weaver style? Steel or quality aluminum picatinney base and rings will mount much more solidly. They stay tight because they hold torque. Almost all cheaper rings and bases won't hold torque in my experience. They hold torque because the force is spread out over a larger area and the individual pieces are stronger. The cheap thin stuff, IME, just bends until all or most all torque is lost.

Quality brands I've used are TPS and Larue Tactical. There are many other good base and ring suppliers. Ferrell, Badger and others come to mind. I think I would be willing to try Leupold PRW's on a good TPS or similar 1 pc base for a lower cost base and rings. A friends rifle has Burris XTR rings on a Millett base. The cross bolt's nuts are kind of eating the rings, but they still hold torque. I think a previous owner over torqued, guessing at how tight they should be.

A decent 1/4" torque wrench will give you some help getting in the torque range you need.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:35 PM

I won't own another set of std Leupold mounts. I had a windage screw loosen up on my during a hunt, so I replaced every pair I owned. Between the two you listed, I would opt for the Weaver-style bases and rings, but I prefer the ones offered by Warne. I don't like Weaver's rings, and for this type of mounting system, I prefer steel bases.

That being said, I run Talley LW's on all my bolt action rifles now, and I've never had an issue. They're simple, light and tough.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

+1 Da's comments. I'm not a fan of Leuppy mounts. I like Talley's and Warne's (for some applications).
Old 02-03-2009, 11:33 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with Dan's comments, too.

I really like the Warne rings and mounts. They are rock solid, and made of solid steel. They can be kind of a pain to put on, but once they're on, it's hard to bump your scope. Imuzzleloader hunted last December after some hard rain storms melted alargeamount ofsnow in Michigan. To say the least,thewoods were like a hockey rink -- Ihit my gun on the ice two times extremely hard.Thescope never moved, and I managed tofill my doe tag. I took it to the range afterwards, and the scope was still dead on at 100 yards.

While I do not like the Leupold standard bases, that are windage adjustable, Ido like the Leupold dual dovetail bases and rings, and have them ontwo rifles. Never aproblem.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:36 PM

I think I would like to get the quick detachable rings, for when I'm doging, does warne make quick detachable's?

Marc
Old 02-03-2009, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, Warne does make QD rings (lever attached).

Quick Reply: Bases & Rings?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.