Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 what is your opinion and why? >

what is your opinion and why?

Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

what is your opinion and why?

Old 02-04-2009, 10:06 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: what is your opinion and why?

I chose the Bushnell. I find they have slightly better optics for the dollar spent, but not a huge difference. Nikon at the same price is in the same class or better.

I think the best would be a Sightron. Sightron tends to have very good color rendition to my eye. Leupold is the worst, of the better brands. Color rendition, brightness and clarity of focus arethe keys to resolution IMO.

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what $300 Canadian buys exactly.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:25 PM

I would save and get the Leupold 4.5x14x50

Why:Leupold is by far the best scope on the market,dollar for dollar there is not a better scope.Not even the high dollar end ones with the fancy names such as S&B ,SaWORSEski,those types of scopes your just paying for the name.After hunting for 41 years of the 48 God has given me,nothing will ever go on any of my guns except a Leupold.Take this to heart.Should you have a problem with a Leupold you can send it back to them and they will repair or send you a new scope -EVEN IF YOUR NOT THE ORIGINAL PURCHASER...thats say alot about a company who has that much confidence in a product.I could say alot more ,but you get the point,save and get a good scope.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:08 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: 700Rem

. . .Should you have a problem with a Leupold you can send it back to them and they will repair or send you a new scope -EVEN IF YOUR NOT THE ORIGINAL PURCHASER...thats say alot about a company who has that much confidence in a product. . . .

Thank you for your experience and strong opinion. Sounds like it is based on many good years of hunting experience.

This warranty thing as a main selling point of many brands is an odd thing to me. I hope to buy a scope and never use the warranty. I am glad many optics manufacturers will treat me well in that process. I would ask all to consider this. . .Will a scope manufacturer redesign a scope sent back for an issue? No they will not. So when a scope brand is known for things like off-color lens coatings, broken turrets, poor recoil durability, or turrets which are not accurate over the long haul without being sent back and rebuilt, then you need to look elsewhere. These things are known issues on cheap and some expensive to me scopes. Shop carefully. Buy by the spec promised and delivered via component selection. Avoid emotional things like the scope of a lifetime, super bright HD44XB2 lens coatings, mil tough plastic tube!
Old 02-04-2009, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ill repair or send you a new scope -EVEN IF YOUR NOT THE ORIGINAL PURCHASER...thats say alot about a company who has that much confidence in a product.I could say alot more ,but you get the point,save and get a good scope.

I would save and get the Leupold 4.5x14x50

Why:Leupold is by far the best scope on the market,dollar for dollar there is not a better scope.Not even the high dollar end ones with the fancy names such as S&B ,SaWORSEski,those types of scopes your just paying for the name.After hunting for 41 years of the 48 God has given me,nothing will ever go on any of my guns except a Leupold.Take this to heart.Should you have a problem with a Leupold you can send it back to them and they will repair or send you a new scope -EVEN IF YOUR NOT THE ORIGINAL PURCHASER...thats say alot about a company who has that much confidence in a product.I could say alot more ,but you get the point,save and get a good scope.
They have taken care of me when sending it in however, damn it gets old to keep having to send it in.

I will also note that most scopes have a lifetime warranty also.

I'm not the only one to complain about it losing zero easily either. After reading up I've seen a couple of other guys complaining about that. Now some have great luck but I haven't.

I know I didn't buy there top of the line scope but I spent enough that it should have been a quality scope. If they can't offer something quality for $225 when other companies can then that just gives them a bad name. Honestly other than a few guys on here and other sites that are really into guns who the hell is going to spend $500 on a scope? I don't know a single person and I know quite a few guys with quite a few guns. The majority of them have Simmons scopes. They like to spend even less than me. After about $250 I stop looking at scopes. I just don't need something that good to go out into the woods for me. As long as it's clear and works that's what I need. I don't need a fancy name on the side. My scopes are nicer than most of the guys I know however, the few and I mean few I know that have Leupolds have the same one I do. Not the more expensive ones. So maybe their higher priced scopes are nicer I can't comment however, they need to work on the scopes that are what most people buy. I only know 2 people currently that have Leupold scopes. I knew a 3rd one and he had the same kind of problems I've had with mine so he ended up trading it to someone for a .22 rifle as he also got tired of the problems.

When it comes to high end scopes I've always heard from anyone that has tried one of the higher end scopes how it's way way better than anything else. So if I'm going to spend that much money I'd just honestly spend the money on a higher end brand. If your not going to spend that much money, well it seems like if you go with Leupold you get a crappy scope.

I've used other scopes that imo are much nicer and they have all been cheaper. In fact the Leupold is my least favorite scope of the ones I own.The fit and feel of the it is nicer than the Tasco but at the same time I've owned the Leupold for right under 2 years and Tasco for about a year and a half. You know how many times the Leupold has been in for repair? 2. You know how many times the $30 Tasco has been sent in for repair? 0. You know how many times my $60 Simmons has been sent in? 0. This one I've had for probably 4 years. Been dropped a couple times. It is on a .22 though. However still hasn't given me any problems. I've dropped it and picked it up and it still shoots in the same place. I had the Leupold fall over and picked it up and it was shooting about 4" higher than where it had been. The Burris has also never given me a problem and is just a super clear scope but like I've said I've not even had it for a year. Only one hunting season.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:48 PM

I find that kinda odd: I have been using them for as long asI can remember back...I have never had to send one of mine back for anything.A friend of mine did purchase a Leupold off of e-bay and when he got it, it needed purged (nitro).He sent it to them and they could not reseal the scope.It was according to leupold about 9 years old.They sent him a new scope-same power---FREE. Nuff said there.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

mine did purchase a Leupold off of e-bay and when he got it, it needed purged (nitro).He sent it to them and they could not reseal the scope.It was according to leupold about 9 years old.They sent him a new scope-same power---FREE. Nuff said there

I find that kinda odd: I have been using them for as long asI can remember back...I have never had to send one of mine back for anything.A friend of mine did purchase a Leupold off of e-bay and when he got it, it needed purged (nitro).He sent it to them and they could not reseal the scope.It was according to leupold about 9 years old.They sent him a new scope-same power---FREE. Nuff said there.
I was hoping they would send me a new one but they didn't. I think I may have just gotten a lemon but I'm not sure. I bought it new and after a few months the first issue was after a shot it looked like it was shaking. Not the crosshairs but the picture looked like it was shaking and you could see it settle down. I sent it in for this and got it back. I sent it in through the gun store. Ended up taking like a month to get back. Was around Christmas but still was a bout double the time Leupold told me and 4x the time the gunshop told me. I was a little unhappy here. Leupold knew it was around Christmas time when they told me 2 weeks so over a month is a little long.

Then the second time it seemed like it was wanting to adjust itself. I sent it in and not sure if they found something wrong or not. It said they did a few things then inspected everything on the checklist of what was done. I've only shot it a few times on my muzzle loader since.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:47 AM

Ok boys, I have finally made up my mind. When to the gun shop today, looked through all the scopes I was interesed in, for over 1 hour, and Like 60 % of you said the Bushnell came out on top. I even had the chance to look through a scope with Firefly in it, and let me tell ya this, I was impressed, I would love to find one on a 2-7x scope, I would buy it in a sec. I am looking at the 1.5 - 4.5 x 32 or the 2-7. I seen through both and they are both crisp and clear.

I want to thank all you guys for all your info, if you here of any 2-7 with the firefly let me know.

Thanks again
Marc
Old 02-06-2009, 03:15 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Markymarc

Ok boys, I have finally made up my mind. When to the gun shop today, looked through all the scopes I was interesed in, for over 1 hour...
Good for you! Everyone has their favorites, because everyone's eyes are different. I have no doubt that many folks are convinced that their scopes outperform mine: for their eyes, those scopes probably are better!

You have to go look through scopes before deciding on one, for the same reason you have to try on shoes before you buy them: some fit, some don't.

Of you realize, though... you'll now be on the hook to show us pix of all the game you shoot!

Congrats,

FC
Old 02-06-2009, 01:57 PM

I will be sure to post any game I get with my new setup.

Marc
Old 02-20-2009, 04:38 PM

So I got my scope a few days ago elite 3200 2-7x32 gunsmith intalled it, boarsided it the whole 9 yards, he told me I had a great scope that I will enjoy for years to come. Went to the gun range with it to sight it in, took 4 shots with it then it happend!!!! I couldn't beleve it the f@#k'n reticle fell to the bottom of the glass, well I'm pissed right. I bring it back to the store went right in the gunsmith room at the back of the store, told him to take his crap scope and shove it up is A$S. I got my money back, then he offered me another one of the same, he said it was prabobly just a fluke. Well I don't do flukes I want a reliabe scope that can take more than 4 shots fro a little 270.

Marc