Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Weaver vx Leopold Fixed power >

Weaver vx Leopold Fixed power

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Weaver vx Leopold Fixed power

Old 01-19-2009, 08:54 AM

Default Weaver vx Leopold Fixed power

Looking at fixed 4X scope for my son's new Marlin 30-30. Leopold has one and Weaver also makes one. I know leopold has a good reputation. How are weaver scopes? Their rings have a good rep and the Weaver costs a little less so if they make pretty good glass I may go with that but would like to hear what you think. Any other suggestions for a fixed 4x scope? Also, marlin sells a scope mount rail with rings, only about $16.00 that is made to fit this gun. Anyone know if it isgood or would you suggest another. All input appreciated.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:25 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Weaver vx Leopold Fixed power

For my money, Weaver or Sightron. The Sightron will have very clear glass and good color rendition. The Weaver will be good, but maybe a bit less overall.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:41 AM
Typical Buck

No comparison, Leupold in my opinion is much better.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Leuppy over Weaver. Sightron is also quite good. Another very good choice is a Zeiss Conquest 4 X 32.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:56 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: glockman55

Why? My experience with Leupold says color rendition is not good and always has a slight amber or yellow tint.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:29 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: nksmfamjp

Why? My experience with Leupold says color rendition is not good and always has a slight amber or yellow tint.
It's just my opinion, But I have never heard or seen any color distortion with Leupold. Mine areas clear as the day I bought them. I hope you sent back your discoloerd Luppy back to the factory.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nksmfamjp

It's just my opinion, But I have never heard or seen any color distortion with Leupold. Mine areas clear as the day I bought them. I hope you sent back your discoloerd Luppy back to the factory.
My Leupold is clear but to me the Burris looks much clearer and better with colors. Not sure how a Weaver would compare.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:08 PM
Typical Buck

I thought it was an individual scope issue also. I probably looked at 20 Leupy's at 5 stores, several outside. I couldn't notice it without a Burris or a Sightron for comparison. I'm sure it is different coatings. To me naked eye coloration and Sightron or Burris wwas much closer to the naked eye. I'm sure it has to do with my color perception also. To me rose tinting in glasses gives a much more real or live color rendition. Yellow glasses gives me a brighter sensation, but with less contrast.

BTW. . .It could be me. My wife says I can't pick out a matching outfit to save my life!
Old 01-23-2009, 06:30 PM
Fork Horn

I was down to Sightron & Zeiss for my Whelen, & went with the Zeiss due to a longer tube length. I didn't want to have to use a rail, or ring extensions, on a 700.

IIRC, the Sightron was going for $174.00 - that's just a crazy-good deal for that quality of optics.

FC
Old 01-23-2009, 06:51 PM
Fork Horn

Spruilldog:

I too have a Marlin .30-30, andmounted on it aLeupold VX-1 2-7x32 about six or seven years ago. I beleive that their 4X fixed is about the same size -- I usually just leave my scope on 3x or so. I love that combo. There's plenty of eye relief,and it'sa clear, rugged, and dependable scope. I mounted mine with a one piece Leupold base, and low rings. I don't have much familiarity with the Weavers, so I can't help you there.

Quick Reply: Weaver vx Leopold Fixed power

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.