HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Optics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/optics-85/)
-   -   Bushnell, Simmons or Redhead (bass pro shop brand) (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/optics/280602-bushnell-simmons-redhead-bass-pro-shop-brand.html)

shooter1966 12-30-2008 02:45 PM

Bushnell, Simmons or Redhead (bass pro shop brand)

Ok first let me say I realize you get what you pay for....would I love a Leupold yes....can I afford one now no....so I was checking out Bass Pro shop today and looking at a couple of them...I have had Bushnell and Simmons scopes in the past and had no issues with them...I heard the Redhead brand was acutally a Bushnell??? Is that correct???

Im looking for a scope for my slug gun and was lookinig for a 3-9x50....any input?

Thanks scott

timbercruiser 12-30-2008 08:17 PM

RE: Bushnell, Simmons or Redhead (bass pro shop brand)

What is your budget? I saw a couple of the Bushnell 4200 Elite scopes sell on E-Bay last week for $225 each. A steal of a deal on a nice scope. I've no idea who makes the Redhead scopes. Sometimes companies like that will bid out the building of scopes, could be Philipines or Chinese.

bugsNbows 12-31-2008 05:09 AM

You may wish to consider something other than a 3-9 (not sure why you would ever need 9X for a short range weapon). Anyway, I'd look at a fixed power 4X or similar. There are many in your price range. You can even get a Leupy FXII 4X33 for around $250 + or -. Good luck.

SWThomas 12-31-2008 05:16 AM

Check eBay and go Nikon!

mouthcaller 12-31-2008 07:05 AM

I wouldn't touch the store brand Redhead scope. I don't know who makes it and in this turbulent economy who would you return it to for service if BPS goes out of business?

I don't think much of Simmons, which is actually made by Meade. My father made the mistake of buying one, a "whitetail classic" or somethinglike that,to put on a 7mm-08 we set up for the kids and that scope was dark had the worst eye relief I have ever seen on a hunting scope. Most of their stuff is junk in my opinion.

Bushnell - now you are talking. I think the trophy and legend represent decent entry level scopes and the elite series is really good. The 4200 is one of the very best scopes you can get at that price point and the 3200 is only slightly behind it. I have a 3200 Elite in 4X12 on my .243 and really like it. The raingard feature really works by the way - you can intentially fog the ocular lens with your breath and still see well enough to shoot.

Other good choices if you are on a tight budget are the Nikon Prostaff and Buckmaster, as well as the Burris Fullfield II. Also I would suggest looking at used scopes on eBay.

stalkingbear 12-31-2008 10:14 AM

I don't understand why you want a 50mm objective lens scope-it will require you to mount it too high for proper shooting form including cheekweld-ESPECIALLY on an slug gun with the usual lower comb height. Look at Nikon prostaff 3x-9x-40mm for 150$ or less. It's a regular rifle scope instead of special slug scope BUT will have plenty of eye relief and will hold up under slug gun recoil. The myth of rifle scopes falling apart under slug gun recoil is just that-a myth, assuming it's a quality scope to begin with. Slug gun scopes do offer more eye relief however.

shooter1966 12-31-2008 10:29 AM

Im not sold on the 50mm yet...the gun is a TC encore so I have plenty of rise in the comb as well as barrel clearance. I have a Nikon on another gun and I do like it....

As for using a fixed optic (as earlier suggested) Im not intrested in going that route. I have been in more then one situation where an adjustable optic makes life nice.

johnnybravoo77 12-31-2008 11:07 AM

I think I would go with this one: http://www.swfa.com/pc-1842-224-nikon-2-7x32-prostaff-shotgun-scope.aspx

I've seen it on sale for $100 at the local GM.

shooter1966 01-02-2009 02:43 PM

Well after thinking it pretty much all the way out.....Im going to go with a Nikon 3-9x40 (Pro Staff or Buckmaster)on my slug barrel and either a Nikon 6x18x40 or Bushnellin a 6x18x40....need to investigate those better....anyone know how much differacne there is between the Trophy series and 3200 series Bushnells?

jerry d 01-02-2009 05:57 PM

What is the difference between the Nikon Buckmaster & Prostaff......other than $50?