HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Optics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/optics-85/)
-   -   Binoculars (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/optics/279313-binoculars.html)

Schultzy 12-19-2008 09:59 PM

Binoculars

What's good? I've owned many different brands, some have been junk and some have been ok. I want something good, I'm sick of squinting through my binoculars to see out 300 to 400 yards. I don't want them to be big and blocky either If I can help It. If not, I guess I'll have to deal with It then.

Lets hear It!! Thanks!!

JNTURK 12-20-2008 09:47 PM

RE: Binoculars

vortex. not extremely expensive and quality is excellent, IMO.

stalkingbear 12-20-2008 10:38 PM

Let us know where you're going to be using them, and your budget so we can better qualify to assist you in making an intelligent choice. Basically you get what you pay for so expect to spend more than you originally thought in order to get good quality optics. Bigcountry is (1 of) the resident optic experts so maybe he'll see this thread.

Mykey 12-21-2008 10:44 AM

ORIGINAL: JNTURK

vortex. not extremely expensive and quality is excellent, IMO.
Ditto!, i just recently purchased the Diamondback 10x42's and couldn't be happier. I would put them up against binos costing twice as much. Great glass, good price, excellent optics!

PABowhntr 12-23-2008 06:50 AM

I tend to agree with all of the above comments. Price and specific usage both play a huge part in what is recommneded. However, I have owned various Vortex products and do agree that they offer better than average performance at any given price point...Diamondback, Fury, Viper, Razor...

TreednNC 12-23-2008 08:37 AM

For a budget binocular that Ive been impressed with..........and idk if they make them anymore, but I know they have something similar......Nikon Buckmaster 10x42....best investment Ive made

SWThomas 12-23-2008 08:38 AM

I like my Nikon Monarch 8X42's. Pretty small, lite, and awesome viewing.

salukipv1 12-23-2008 11:18 AM

Pentax DCF SP 10x43

best value IMO.

Mojotex 12-23-2008 02:05 PM

Ditto Pentax DCF SP 8x43 or 10x43. Look, I am big fan of high end glass and have used Swarovski binos for years. This manufacturer makes excellent glass, but very expensive.

My daughter wanted to give her husband a bino better than the ones he had. After much research, she bought the Pentax DCF SP 10x43's. They came in about a week ago. In aside by side, totally non-scientific testing off my back deck, these Pentax binoculars are truly impressive. Crisp, clear, great contrast and took me right to dark:30. At about 40% the $$$ layout compared to the Swarovski's, I'd rate them a super buy. Should be able to get these for about $550 +/-. Try Bear Basin Outfitters. I've used them several times of optics with excellent results.

mouthcaller 12-24-2008 08:58 AM

Another vote for the Pentax DCF-SPs

My DCF-SPs are8X43 and I absolutely will not go hunting without them. I watched deer in the dark late Monday afternoon as my 12-year old son took a nice 6-pointer. You can get the 8X43 for less than $500.00 bucks online. I prefer 8X binos over 10X for general purpose use for the following reasons:

Brighter
Steadier (much less shake - I can't hold a 10X glass still for very long)
Wider field of view

If you are on a tighter budget then the Vortex Diamondbacks are simply outstanding at that price point ($200.00). Doug at camralandny.com has some demo models for around $150.00. I bought my son the 8X42 Diamondbacks last year for Christmas and I am amazed by the quality of this bino. It carries the same VIP lifetime warranty that all their other higher-priced binos have. The biggest difference between his glass and mine is that the Pentax are a bit more crisp, has more of the field of view in complete focus compared to the Diamondbacks, and the focus wheel is more precise. For around 200 bucks it is a value that can't be beat.

I can also recommend the Nikon Monarchs and would rank them very similar to the Diamondbacks.