Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Binoculars

Old 12-27-2008, 05:36 AM

Default RE: Binoculars

if you have a carson dealer nere you give them a try you will be very suprised very clear and very ajustable
Old 12-27-2008, 04:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Binoculars

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

Let us know where you're going to be using them, and your budget so we can better qualify to assist you in making an intelligent choice. Basically you get what you pay for so expect to spend more than you originally thought in order to get good quality optics. Bigcountry is (1 of) the resident optic experts so maybe he'll see this thread.
I don't want to spend anymore then 250.00 bucks but If I have to spend more to get good quality binocs I'll do It. There's nothing worse then not seeing clearly, It's frustrating!!
Old 12-27-2008, 04:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Another vote for the Pentax DCF-SPs

What exactly do the numbers mean? (Ex-8x43) I can't remember.[8D] Whats the difference between an 8x and a 10x?

Thanks everyone!!
Old 12-28-2008, 09:42 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

What exactly do the numbers mean? (Ex-8x43) I can't remember.[8D] Whats the difference between an 8x and a 10x?

Thanks everyone!!
It's quite simple. 8X42 is an 8 power (8X magnification) with a 42mm objective lens. The larger the objective lens the greater the light gathering ability of the bino, all other things remaining equal.

As to your second question, well, an 8X binocular magnifies the image 8X and a 10X bino magnifies the image 10 times.

A deer viewed at 500 yards with a 10X bino will appear to be 50 yards away. That same deer viewed at 500 yards with an 8X bino will appear to be 62.5 yards away.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mouthcaller

Thanks everyone!!
It's quite simple. 8X42 is an 8 power (8X magnification) with a 42mm objective lens. The larger the objective lens the greater the light gathering ability of the bino, all other things remaining equal.

As to your second question, well, an 8X binocular magnifies the image 8X and a 10X bino magnifies the image 10 times.

A deer viewed at 500 yards with a 10X bino will appear to be 50 yards away. That same deer viewed at 500 yards with an 8X bino will appear to be 62.5 yards away.
That makes sense. Thank you!

Does the 10x come In a smaller size or are they the bigger size binocs?
Old 01-04-2009, 09:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Zies?

What about Zies? Are they any good?
Old 01-04-2009, 10:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Zies?

I have the Leupold Cascades in 8X42. I don't think I paid more than $300 for them and I'm very happy with them. Do a search. Someone on here that works with optics really explained the numbers and I believe the 8X42 were the way to go.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:46 AM
Spike

Well they are a little beyond $250, but my Brunton Epoch's have never left me wishing I had better.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:40 AM
Typical Buck

That is like asking is a Mercedes or BMW any good. Is that a serious question or are you just yanking our chain?

Zeiss is considered one of the "Big 3" optics manufacturers in the world along with Swarovski and Leica.

I think it is fair to say that the Carl Zeiss company is the premier optics company in the world. They are responsible for developing many of the technological advances achieved in optics in the past 150 years. Not just sport optics, but also microscopes, camara lenses, telescopes, eyeglasses, surgical microscopes, etc, etc, etc.

So to answer your original question, yes, Zeiss bionculars are good.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mouthcaller

That is like asking is a Mercedes or BMW any good. Is that a serious question or are you just yanking our chain?

Zeiss is considered one of the "Big 3" optics manufacturers in the world along with Swarovski and Leica.

I think it is fair to say that the Carl Zeiss company is the premier optics company in the world. They are responsible for developing many of the technological advances achieved in optics in the past 150 years. Not just sport optics, but also microscopes, camara lenses, telescopes, eyeglasses, surgical microscopes, etc, etc, etc.

So to answer your original question, yes, Zeiss bionculars are good.
Why the heck am I asking questions mouthcaller?? Cause I want answers!! If I did know the answers I sure as heck wouldn't be asking.

I figured they were good being my dad bought one of there products years ago and said he liked them then. I didn't know If they still were good so I thought I'd ask.

Thank you.

Quick Reply: Binoculars

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.