Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 ? for the optical experts >

? for the optical experts

Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

? for the optical experts

Old 12-11-2008, 12:53 PM
Typical Buck

Default ? for the optical experts

I kinda understand(alright, not really, but I have accepted it as fact)how a lower magnification in a given objective size will be brighter in low light conditions than a higher magnification in the same objective size.

My question is this, Why can I see deer better in low light with my scope set on 9x vs 3x? I realize it looks bigger, but it also appears brighter to my eyes. Any one else notice this? Can anyone explain it?

From what I read everywhere the deer should look like daylight at 3x and be much darker at 9x. It appears backwards to me. The scopes in question are a nikon monarch 3-9x40 and a burris fullfield II 3-9x40.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: ? for the optical experts

Don't know. I've never seen any scope that was brighter at dusk dark on 9x than it is on 3x. My Zeiss can see deer in the field when it is dang near black dark that I can't see with the naked eye.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:31 PM
Spike

Default RE: ? for the optical experts

Hi Hoss,This is simple divide 40[mm] by 3 [x] for exit pupil and that would be 13.3 mm , if you are pretty young your eye pupil can open up to about 7mm in low light so about 6.3mm [13.3-7= 6.3] of light cone is wasted, your eye pupil can not take this in. Your eye pupil is stopping this down to 7 to 6 mm , it is like this scope is 3x by 21mm [with your eye pupil opened up to 7mm] . Also if you think about it, at 9x it is like you are closer to the object so with an exit pupil of 4.4mm [40mm divided by 9 = 4.4mm] and with 4mm being the minimum exit pupil for low light for the best of resolution and contrast to be able to see what you want, that is why you could possible see better with 9x instead of 3x in lower light. So that you know if you have 9 power by 63mm scope of similar quality you would most likely see better with it than your 3-9x40 scope in low light, and also better coatings (the Zeiss :-) , less lens like in fixed power can make a difference. BTW I sure as heck don't think I am an optics expert.:-)
Regards,Steve