HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Optics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/optics-85/)
-   -   Scopes? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/optics/274937-scopes.html)

Markymarc 11-22-2008 04:37 PM

Scopes?

Hello, I want to install a scope on my 270 Rem model 7600, and I just wanted to advise on what brand to get. I was thinking something in a 3-9x40. I hunt hardwoods with some open areas and I will also be hunting over a field next season. I have been doing some research, but there's just so many choices out there.

Thanx
Marc

[/align]

MALLARD76 11-22-2008 04:46 PM

RE: Scopes?

Zeiss Conquest 3-9X40. The best value for your dollar out there.

timbercruiser 11-22-2008 09:17 PM

The Zeiss is a great scope, what is your max budget?

hometheaterman 11-22-2008 10:37 PM

Heard good things about the above but never used it. It's a very expensive scope. However, I love my Burris Fullfield 2 3x9x40mm soo far that I put on my 30-06. Way clearer than the Leupold I took off. I had the Leupold break 2 times in the 1 and a half years I have had it. It's at Leupold now for repair for the 2nd time. I got one of their lower end models but still for a $220 scope this should not happen. I have a $30 Tasco that looks just as clear and has lasted about 2 times as long as the Leupold has each time. I would easily pick it over the Leupold however, I like the Burris the best out of any of them and it's a resonable priced scope too. I'd recommend taking a look at it.I haven't had it long enough to see how it will hold up but upon just using it to shoot with I love it. The Leupold also had a issue where it lost zero very easy if you bumped it. Out of Tasco, Simmons, and Burris all cheaper scopes the Leupold is the only one I've had break. It also was just as bad as the cheapest clarity wise which was the Tasco. They were both decent but it's amazing how much clearer the Burris is and how much easier to see the cross hairs are.

Markymarc 11-23-2008 06:55 AM

I've been doing some research online and It comes down to one of these unless I find something elts.

Bushnell Elite 3200
Nikon BuckmasterNikon ProStaff
Burris FullField II

Price weise I want a good reliabe scope that will stay zeroed in, and good low and hight light visability, I can't myself spending more than $300

Marc

timbercruiser 11-23-2008 08:21 AM

I would go with the Bushnell 4200 Elite at about $299 (you maybe able to find it a little cheaper).

http://swfa.com/pc-7280-185-bushnell-3-9x40-elite-4200-rifle-scope.aspx

You can get a $125 free camo jacket with the purchase of any Elite product right now.

http://www.bushnell.com/special_offers/rangefinder_rebate.cfm

You can pick up a nice Nikon Monarch factory refurbished or other scopes in your price rangehere:

www.samplelist.com/default.aspx?prod_type=1&hide_sold=False

Markymarc 11-23-2008 02:18 PM

What would be good for both hardwoods and open areas out to about 100 yards. (1.5-4x,) (2-7x) (3-7x ) or(3-9x). I hunt out of my Doghouse blind in hardwood and the deer sometimes come out anywhere from 30 to 100 feet away. I'd like to use only the scope and not my open sights.

Marc

stalkingbear 11-23-2008 05:33 PM

A good 3x-9x-40mm will be plenty wide enough field of view for close situations. I personally can't stand ANYTHING with bushnell on it due to them not backing warranty up in several instances. The nikon will be best for dollar unless you can afford a zeiss orvx3 leupold.

Markymarc 11-25-2008 11:15 AM

I hear a lot of that about the Bushnell's, Nikon is my 1st choice, 2nd choice Burris FullField II. Now will I be able to see a deer through a 3-9x40 at 50 to 100 feet.

Marc

Warkie 11-25-2008 02:06 PM

Marc, I too use a 7600 in 270win. I have an Elite 4200 3-9x and I like it and it works for me. My brother shot his first deer with it last week so obviously he likes it too.

stalkingbear 11-25-2008 03:15 PM

I'm not saying anything is wrong with the bushnell elite series of scopes,in fact they seem like great scopes and have excellent feedback,just that I can't stand the brand because of several instances of them not standing behind their warrantys.

ORIGINAL: Warkie
Marc, I too use a 7600 in 270win. I have an Elite 4200 3-9x and I like it and it works for me. My brother shot his first deer with it last week so obviously he likes it too.

Markymarc 11-25-2008 05:57 PM

I've looking at the Leupold VX-II scopes in a 3-9x40 online today, and they seem very good quality scopes ( i was reading the reviews on the Bass Pro website) A little more money, but I beleve you getwhat you pay for. Ever since the first time my dad took me to his tree stand when I was 7 I've been hooked to deer hunting. My dad tought my great hunting ethics, and to never pull the trigger unless I was 100% sure it was going to be a clean shot in the vital area. I've been living those words ever since and now I am 34. I lost my dad in June of 2003, and I was a mess, I had lost not only my father of 59, but I also lost my hunting buddy and best friend. That November I had a hard time going hunting without him, but I knewthat he wouldn't want me to pass up something that I have so much passion for. Opening morning I climb in to that same tree stand he took me too when I was 7, not 20minutes passed and I could hear steps in the crusty snow behind me, I stayed very still and in the cornerpf my eye I saw him step into the old shooting lane my dad cut so many years ago. I started shaking, my heart was pounding as the 14 point monster stood perfectly broadsite quartering away from me about 20 feet away. As I slowly raised my dads old 30-30 I laid the sights behind the monsters shoulder. I couldn't stop thinking of those famouse words, ( if it ain't a clean shot don't take it) well they don't gett any better than this, i told my self just seconds before I droped the buck right in his tracks. The rack is hanging in that very tree stand where my long love for deer hunting began.

spaniel 11-25-2008 06:18 PM

I have a hard time finding better value for my money than the Nikon Buckmaster. I've recommended their 3X9X40 several times now. I own 1 and would own more if I had bought more guns that needed one.

Mojotex 11-25-2008 09:33 PM

I recently bought a ML on which was mounted a Bushnell Elite 4200, 2.5-10x50 mm. This one has the "Firefly" reticule and "Rain Guard". I hunted with the set-up last week. I intended to swap this scope out and put on a Conquest I had on another rifle, but did not get around to it.

I tried out the "Firefly" as directed in the brochure. Not much help as far as I can tell because the scope was bright enough to take me until dusk. I have no clue if this scope will hold up. I am a big fan of "high end' scopes because of excellent experience with these brands in the past 15 years o so, but I have to admit that this scope has one impressed me. If it can be had for $300 or so as others mentioned, I'd take a good look at one.

stalkingbear 11-26-2008 08:22 AM

Welcome to our screwy forum markymarc! We need more members like you with good hunting ethnics and sounds like a great hunt.

ORIGINAL: Markymarc

I've looking at the Leupold VX-II scopes in a 3-9x40 online today, and they seem very good quality scopes ( i was reading the reviews on the Bass Pro website) A little more money, but I beleve you getwhat you pay for. Ever since the first time my dad took me to his tree stand when I was 7 I've been hooked to deer hunting. My dad tought my great hunting ethics, and to never pull the trigger unless I was 100% sure it was going to be a clean shot in the vital area. I've been living those words ever since and now I am 34. I lost my dad in June of 2003, and I was a mess, I had lost not only my father of 59, but I also lost my hunting buddy and best friend. That November I had a hard time going hunting without him, but I knewthat he wouldn't want me to pass up something that I have so much passion for. Opening morning I climb in to that same tree stand he took me too when I was 7, not 20minutes passed and I could hear steps in the crusty snow behind me, I stayed very still and in the cornerpf my eye I saw him step into the old shooting lane my dad cut so many years ago. I started shaking, my heart was pounding as the 14 point monster stood perfectly broadsite quartering away from me about 20 feet away. As I slowly raised my dads old 30-30 I laid the sights behind the monsters shoulder. I couldn't stop thinking of those famouse words, ( if it ain't a clean shot don't take it) well they don't gett any better than this, i told my self just seconds before I droped the buck right in his tracks. The rack is hanging in that very tree stand where my long love for deer hunting began.

duckslyr 12-06-2008 05:54 AM

in my opinion the burris fullfield 2 is just as good if not better than the lueopold VX2 and cost a little less. I own a few burris scopes and love them i also own a bushnell 4200 and it is great too.

PaJack 12-15-2008 05:55 PM

ORIGINAL: MALLARD76

Zeiss Conquest 3-9X40. The best value for your dollar out there.
Ditto...

joeky 12-31-2008 07:33 AM

No doubt that the Zeiss is the best scope of those mentioned, however they cost about $450. I have a vx-ll and a Burris fullfield ll and the Burris is hands down the best scope of the two. You can get these off of ebay for $150 give or take.

rshunter32 01-01-2009 11:22 AM

I have nothing but bushnell scopes from the Banners on my rimfires up to the 4200 Elites on my deer rifles and have had no quality issues. Never had to deal with warranty issues, maybe I'm just lucky! Great glass for a great price.

glockman55 01-01-2009 04:02 PM

Leupold vx-II is a good choice, I have the vx-I and the VX-III, my next one for my new .270 will probably be a vx-II, for the cost. When in doubt, go with a Leupold.

JNTURK 01-01-2009 05:03 PM

Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40.....AWESOME!!

www.cameralandny.com

Markymarc 01-27-2009 11:14 AM

Ok now I have a problem,

it seems that i if I order my scope online through Bass Pro it comes from the US, now it's going to cost me an arm and a leg for duty, taxes etc. So now i am just looking at canadian sites like Lebarons, Cabela's Canada, Ellwood Epps. Now these are my options for scopes all in a 2-7x

Bushnell 3200
Bushnell Rifleman
Nikon Prostaff
Burris Fullfield II
Leupold VX I

Now I'm gonna research them all and see if I can make up my mind without making a bad choice. Feel free to give me your advise.

Thanks
Marc [/align]

salukipv1 01-27-2009 11:32 AM

If you don't want to spend the zeiss dollars, Nikon Monarch makes a 3-12x, which if you ever go west and use that 270 to its range potential, that 12x is much nicer than 9x, but otherwise a 3-9x would be a great option.

A few other brands make a 3-12x etc....so may consider something of that range, instead of the classic 3-9x

TGRIZWALD 01-27-2009 01:06 PM

meopta is the choice i made and love it better then the ziess. they made the glass for ziess years ago. made in the chzech republic.

Mojotex 01-27-2009 06:47 PM

Another vote for the Conquest. At about $500 it is a steal as far as clarity, contrast, crispness and low light performance. I have 2 and they are both great. If that price is out of your range, I can and do recommend the Elite 4200. I have one on a 50 cal. ML and it has performed much, much better a scope than I ever expected. However, it is not "compact". That is my only complaint ... the scope is rather long. This scope can be had new for around $275 +/-.

glockman55 01-27-2009 07:09 PM

The Bushnell 3200 is a good scope, I'm going to buy the 3200 elite 5-15X40 tactical, I can get this scope for under $300. If you don't need a long range scope, Bushnell has many othersto choose from. I have the Leupold VX-1 3X9X40 on my Encore and it is a great scope for the money. Good Luck

hometheaterman 01-27-2009 08:24 PM

ORIGINAL: glockman55
I have the Leupold VX-1 3X9X40 on my Encore and it is a great scope for the money. Good Luck
I've not had good luck with my VX-1 3x9x40mm and I don't like it when it does work. After looking through the Burris and this scope back to back I just don't like it. Never bothered me until I looked through the Burris and it back to back. The Burris is the clear winner to me anyway.

Folically Challenged 01-28-2009 08:15 PM

Ok now I have a problem,

it seems that i if I order my scope online through Bass Pro it comes from the US, now it's going to cost me an arm and a leg for duty, taxes etc. So now i am just looking at canadian sites like Lebarons, Cabela's Canada, Ellwood Epps. Now these are my options for scopes all in a 2-7x

Bushnell 3200
Bushnell Rifleman
Nikon Prostaff
Burris Fullfield II
Leupold VX I

Now I'm gonna research them all and see if I can make up my mind without making a bad choice. Feel free to give me your advise.

Thanks
Marc
[/align]
FWIW, my outfitter backed me up on a BC elk hunt with a Bushnell 3200. My guess is that he trusted it enough to work when needed - like when a paying client's scopemight takea sh!t.

I've always thought the 3200 offered an awful lot for the money, but I'd say the same for the ProStaff. Not being a Leupy man, I'd suggest taking the 3200 & the ProStaff outside at dusk, & having your own eyes tell you which one to bring home.

FC

Markymarc 01-29-2009 03:53 AM

Would you say the 3200 and the prostaff are both better than the Fullfiled II?

Marc

Folically Challenged 01-29-2009 09:11 AM

Would you say the 3200 and the prostaff are both better than the Fullfiled II?

Marc
No, I wouldn't say that. I've only ever looked through the 3200 & FFII: not owned them or hunted with them. Still, the optics were impressive for the price (in my opinion), and it's seldom you hear of many people having problems with them, or with the companies who make them. Once you get to spending $150 (US) or more on a scope, the quality issue really starts to fade away. Most scopes at that level & above will hold together for years of tough hunting. I'm not saying that their return rates are 0%; I'm saying that the return rates are much lower than scopes costing less than this amount, & that the companies will take care of you quickly & fairly to keep up their reputation. It really comes down to what your eyes like best. Everyone is different, so your eyes need to make the choice.

We all have our opinions, but your eyes are the only ones that will be looking through the scope!

Find a retailer who stocks as many of the scopes as you can find, then go look through them all. Your eyes will tell you whichscope you need to buy.

Some suggestions:
1) Go to the store just before dusk
2) Park your car as far from the store as possible, & put a rifle target on one of the side windows
3) Take the scopes outside (with the sales dude), & look to see which scope lets you see best the bullet holes in the rifle target as the daylightfades away
4) Consider the eye relief: do you get a black circle (or total blackout?) if the scope's not at just the right distance from your eye?
5) Consider weight, objective diameter (will yoube ableto mount it as low to the barrel as you'd like?), tube length (will it fit your rifle's action with standard rings, or will it require extension rings, or maybe a picatinny rail?), etc. It's a good idea to take your rifle along, so that these things can be sorted-out with certainty.
6) Have your online pricing printed out & with you. Most stores will bargain with you to get the deal.

If youdo this kindof research, you'll be miles (kilometers?) ahead of those who do nothing but solicit opinions from strangers on the internet. You'll know that you picked the best scope for you!

Now, make sure you tell us what happenswhen you go check 'em out! Good Luck!

FC

PS - I just read one of your first posts, stating that you'd like to stay under $300 (CDN?). If you find a store that has any of the Bushnell 4200 3-9x40's still around,you would owe it to yourself to look through that scope, & see if your eyes think it's worth the price difference vs. the other scopes you're considering. When I was scope shopping, my eyes told me the 4200 was neck-and-neck with $400 scopes, and it was about $360. These days, some sites have them as low as $249 (US). Just a thought. Either way, establish your budget, then go through the steps above.