Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Scopes?

Old 01-01-2009, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scopes?

Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40.....AWESOME!!

www.cameralandny.com

Old 01-27-2009, 11:14 AM

Ok now I have a problem,

it seems that i if I order my scope online through Bass Pro it comes from the US, now it's going to cost me an arm and a leg for duty, taxes etc. So now i am just looking at canadian sites like Lebarons, Cabela's Canada, Ellwood Epps. Now these are my options for scopes all in a 2-7x

Bushnell 3200
Bushnell Rifleman
Nikon Prostaff
Burris Fullfield II
Leupold VX I

Now I'm gonna research them all and see if I can make up my mind without making a bad choice. Feel free to give me your advise.

Thanks
Marc [/align]
Old 01-27-2009, 11:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you don't want to spend the zeiss dollars, Nikon Monarch makes a 3-12x, which if you ever go west and use that 270 to its range potential, that 12x is much nicer than 9x, but otherwise a 3-9x would be a great option.

A few other brands make a 3-12x etc....so may consider something of that range, instead of the classic 3-9x

Old 01-27-2009, 01:06 PM

meopta is the choice i made and love it better then the ziess. they made the glass for ziess years ago. made in the chzech republic.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another vote for the Conquest. At about $500 it is a steal as far as clarity, contrast, crispness and low light performance. I have 2 and they are both great. If that price is out of your range, I can and do recommend the Elite 4200. I have one on a 50 cal. ML and it has performed much, much better a scope than I ever expected. However, it is not "compact". That is my only complaint ... the scope is rather long. This scope can be had new for around $275 +/-.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:09 PM
Typical Buck

The Bushnell 3200 is a good scope, I'm going to buy the 3200 elite 5-15X40 tactical, I can get this scope for under $300. If you don't need a long range scope, Bushnell has many othersto choose from. I have the Leupold VX-1 3X9X40 on my Encore and it is a great scope for the money. Good Luck
Old 01-27-2009, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: glockman55
I have the Leupold VX-1 3X9X40 on my Encore and it is a great scope for the money. Good Luck
I've not had good luck with my VX-1 3x9x40mm and I don't like it when it does work. After looking through the Burris and this scope back to back I just don't like it. Never bothered me until I looked through the Burris and it back to back. The Burris is the clear winner to me anyway.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:15 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Markymarc

Ok now I have a problem,

it seems that i if I order my scope online through Bass Pro it comes from the US, now it's going to cost me an arm and a leg for duty, taxes etc. So now i am just looking at canadian sites like Lebarons, Cabela's Canada, Ellwood Epps. Now these are my options for scopes all in a 2-7x

Bushnell 3200
Bushnell Rifleman
Nikon Prostaff
Burris Fullfield II
Leupold VX I

Now I'm gonna research them all and see if I can make up my mind without making a bad choice. Feel free to give me your advise.

Thanks
Marc
[/align]
FWIW, my outfitter backed me up on a BC elk hunt with a Bushnell 3200. My guess is that he trusted it enough to work when needed - like when a paying client's scopemight takea sh!t.

I've always thought the 3200 offered an awful lot for the money, but I'd say the same for the ProStaff. Not being a Leupy man, I'd suggest taking the 3200 & the ProStaff outside at dusk, & having your own eyes tell you which one to bring home.

FC
Old 01-29-2009, 03:53 AM

Would you say the 3200 and the prostaff are both better than the Fullfiled II?

Marc
Old 01-29-2009, 09:11 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Markymarc

Would you say the 3200 and the prostaff are both better than the Fullfiled II?

Marc
No, I wouldn't say that. I've only ever looked through the 3200 & FFII: not owned them or hunted with them. Still, the optics were impressive for the price (in my opinion), and it's seldom you hear of many people having problems with them, or with the companies who make them. Once you get to spending $150 (US) or more on a scope, the quality issue really starts to fade away. Most scopes at that level & above will hold together for years of tough hunting. I'm not saying that their return rates are 0%; I'm saying that the return rates are much lower than scopes costing less than this amount, & that the companies will take care of you quickly & fairly to keep up their reputation. It really comes down to what your eyes like best. Everyone is different, so your eyes need to make the choice.

We all have our opinions, but your eyes are the only ones that will be looking through the scope!

Find a retailer who stocks as many of the scopes as you can find, then go look through them all. Your eyes will tell you whichscope you need to buy.

Some suggestions:
1) Go to the store just before dusk
2) Park your car as far from the store as possible, & put a rifle target on one of the side windows
3) Take the scopes outside (with the sales dude), & look to see which scope lets you see best the bullet holes in the rifle target as the daylightfades away
4) Consider the eye relief: do you get a black circle (or total blackout?) if the scope's not at just the right distance from your eye?
5) Consider weight, objective diameter (will yoube ableto mount it as low to the barrel as you'd like?), tube length (will it fit your rifle's action with standard rings, or will it require extension rings, or maybe a picatinny rail?), etc. It's a good idea to take your rifle along, so that these things can be sorted-out with certainty.
6) Have your online pricing printed out & with you. Most stores will bargain with you to get the deal.

If youdo this kindof research, you'll be miles (kilometers?) ahead of those who do nothing but solicit opinions from strangers on the internet. You'll know that you picked the best scope for you!

Now, make sure you tell us what happenswhen you go check 'em out! Good Luck!

FC

PS - I just read one of your first posts, stating that you'd like to stay under $300 (CDN?). If you find a store that has any of the Bushnell 4200 3-9x40's still around,you would owe it to yourself to look through that scope, & see if your eyes think it's worth the price difference vs. the other scopes you're considering. When I was scope shopping, my eyes told me the 4200 was neck-and-neck with $400 scopes, and it was about $360. These days, some sites have them as low as $249 (US). Just a thought. Either way, establish your budget, then go through the steps above.