HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Optics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/optics-85/)
-   -   Elite 4200 or Zeiss Conquest ? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/optics/270518-elite-4200-zeiss-conquest.html)

Mojotex 10-28-2008 06:48 PM

Elite 4200 or Zeiss Conquest ?

These are the only two options for a Savage 10 ML I bought today. Not familiar with the Elite 4200 at all. Hear good about it from others posting here. I like the Conquest.

The 4200 is on the 10 ML now and is dead nutted zeroed in at 100 yards. Plus the CVA Optima on which the Conquest is now will have to be re-sighted as well. Is it worth my effort to swap the two? I will be using the Savage as the primary ML and the CVA as a "back-up" and "lender".

stalkingbear 10-29-2008 06:56 AM

RE: Elite 4200 or Zeiss Conquest ?

For me there would be no question between the 2. Conquest all the way!

nksmfamjp 10-29-2008 01:33 PM

How about a cheap 4x from a quality maker. We are talking about a gun with a 250 yd rand and 3" at 100yd accuracy. It will be bright, light and always at the right magnification.

MichaelT. 10-29-2008 02:59 PM

Before I would make a recommendation one way or the other, I would have to know the power ranges of both scopes, and the prices you are being quoted for both scopes. There are advantages for both brands, and some folks like the conquest more than the 4200 and vice versa... Most of the time, you can get more scope for the money in the Bushy 4200 line.... But it really depends on what the guy is offering you price wise verses scope magnification ect.....

MET

stalkingbear 10-29-2008 03:01 PM

He's already got the scopes. Just my opinion that the zeiss conquest orta go on the 1 he's going to use as main gun.

MichaelT. 10-29-2008 03:07 PM

Ahhhhh , Stalkingbear .... you one smart cookie .... who reads all and re-reads before you write ....

Sometimes I get ahead of myself....

In that case, I would opt. for leaving things as they stand.... There is nothing wrong with the combination as stated....

MET

nksmfamjp 10-30-2008 04:47 AM

Ooops! I was sure I read that, but me now thinks me didn't! I will pull out to risk further embarassment![&o]

Mojotex 11-03-2008 03:27 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Primariloy because I am essentially a lazy old far!, and both set ups are dead on at 100 yards for what I am loading, I am going to leave both rifle/scope combos alone for this season.

I will say that my totally unscientific side-by-side testing of these two scopes, which consisted of peering into the woods behind my house as the sun set, revealed that there is precious little difference in "low light" performance between the two. Both took me to about as late as I expect to hunt.The images were definitely crisper and clearer edge to edge in the Conquest, but this Elite 4200 was pretty impressive for the$$$ I have seen it listed in various pubs and web sites. It does say in the brochure that the guy gave me that it has a special "rain shedding"surface ... whatever that is worth. I'm skeptical of this claim, but I'll suspect that I'll have an opportunity to test this out later this year as much as it can rain here in SE Alabama during gun season.

If it'll hold up, I'll be inclined to recommend it as a real value.It does have an interesting "plex". It is a heavy plex, which I like,having two distinct widths .... which I have never seen. Sort of like a double ranging plex ???

For info ... Both scopes are 3-9X50 mm. I alreadyhad the Conquest on my CVA ML and sighted in, and the Elite was on the Savage 10 ML I bought. The Elite is one loooooong bugger though. Wonder why ?

HEAD0001 11-03-2008 04:11 PM

I purchased one of the Bushnell 4200's for a varmint rifle this year. The scope was of good quality. The glass was good, and the tracking worked acceptably. However I got rid of the scope. The reason I got rid of it was because it was so long and heavy. The 4200 actually looked unsightly on the rifle. Scopes cost too much too look bad. I also think the Zeiss is a bit better glass. There is no doubt that the Zeiss would be on my primary hunting rifle. Tom.

Mojotex 11-04-2008 02:52 PM

OK .... I give. Swappingthe scopes tonight. Down side is now I have lost one more excuse for a miss.