HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Optics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/optics-85/)
-   -   Burris Fullfield 2 scope (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/optics/264645-burris-fullfield-2-scope.html)

hometheaterman 09-23-2008 07:30 PM

Burris Fullfield 2 scope

Anyone used this scope any in a 3x9x40 power? I'm looking for something nice to put on my Browning BAR 30-06. Right now I have a Leuopold VX-1 and that scope is crap. I can hit the bulls eye at 100 yards then hit 3" high then the next shot will be 3" low and they just seem to be all over. I can't figure it out. I've shot 3-4 boxes of shells trying to get it sighted in. The only thing that I'm not sure is when at a buddies at 50 yards I had it shoot 6 holes that cut into each other so I thought it grouped together but at 100 yards I can't get it to hit the same spot. I don't think I'm pulling that much. I have in a gun vise but it still will move. It's starting to get expensive as bullets aren't cheap.

Does this sound like the scope or me? It's already been sent in for repair once as it seemed like it was shaking after I shot it.

Anyway I got to thinking I may try a new scope and see if it's any better. A local store has a Burris Fullfield 2 3x9x40 for $199.99 and gives you a free Garmin Etrex. I don't really need that but wouldn't mind having it. I want to spend around here on a scope. Is it a good scope?

Should I try it or does my problem not sound like the scope? Are the Leupolds known for that? I just know when I had a cheap $30 Tasco while the Leupold was being repaired in the middle of hunting season it would cut holes inside one another over and over on the bulls eye I think that was at 50 yards though and this Leupold I got doing that a few days ago but can't get it to do it now. Any tips or should I try a new scope?

Angus74 09-23-2008 08:42 PM

RE: Burris Fullfield 2 scope

The Burris is a good scope, I have a few of them, and love em.. But I dont think you scope is your problem,, unless its loose. Check all your mounting screws on your scope mounts, and check the screws holding your stock to the action/barrel. Did you shoot the tighter groups with different ammo? Lots of things could cause what your describing, but its doubtful it is the Leupold scope. Id take it to a gun shop and have all the screws checked for correct tightness,, dont overtighten.. and make sure you are always shooting the same ammo, brand, bullet weight,, etc. If all seems well, try it again in a vise with the gun held tightly and see if there is a difference.. Good luck.

vadeerkiller 09-23-2008 08:43 PM

Some like them some don't.I have the same scope and for the money I think they can't be beat.Can't think of any other scope for that price that has 95% light transmission.

hometheaterman 09-23-2008 11:28 PM

How tight should the bolts be on the mounts? They were pretty tight but I cranked them down slightly more. Worried they are too tight now.

I shot a group of 6 shots cutting in each other the other day but now it's just all over the place. That's the biggest thing that makes me think it's not the scope but I just can't figure out what it is.

I've been using a sight vise but it still can move somewhat in that. As in I can't hold it perfectly still but I can't see that I'm moving that much. Sometimes I can group 2 shots high then will group two low as in the same spot then two in the bulls eye. I can group 2 shots or so together but it's in random places. I sighted in my muzzle loader too and didn't have these issues and it's a cheap Marlin muzzle loader I got for $150 and a $30 Tasco scope from Wal-Mart and it shoots 10x better. I wasn't 100% on the bulls eye every time but a lot better than I am with the rifle.

skeeter 7MM 09-24-2008 12:58 AM

Sounds like the scope ok to me, if not you wouldn't be achieving any groups. You said at 50 it was cutting near the same hole, on sunday a friends gun wouldn't do that, so after checking the mountswe changed the scope, re-bore sighted and it started grouping. Scope gone bad for sure.

I'd say look at the rest/shooterand ammo. Try using sand bags to see if that shores things up, don't over grip, make sure your not pressing down on the barrel or rest points aren't under the barreland squeeze not jerk the trigger. Could have a buddy shoot it for comparison sake. Try different ammo. You never said how fast you were shooting but I'd try 3 shot groups and then let the barrel come back to ambient temp before firing the next group to rule out heat.Check the action screws and any possiblebedding issues.Does the gun group off a cold barrel to the same general POI before drifting?

Also don't touch the adjustment caps if your on the paper, first achieve a baseline (grouping)then fine tune for POI. Chasing the bull='s wasted ammo and frustration.

Best of luck.