Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Looking for optic help. >

Looking for optic help.

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Looking for optic help.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Looking for optic help.

That high end is nice for judging the animal at long range. Shooting an Antelope at 600 yards is one thing, but knowing it is a trophy first, would be nice!
That is what spotting scopes are for.One of the most important rules of firearm safety,is to never point a firearm at any object,unless you intend to shoot it.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am of the sameopinion and teachings that a Scope is an aiming device and is not to be pointed unless firing. Another golden rulethat applies is "know your target and beyond". If your field judging/glassing use bins or spotter, and not the riflescope.[&o] Safety first!!!!!

As far as X(mag) I use 3 -10's for biggame hunting I have shot gamein the 400'swith no problems. Tonight I was putting in some time with my 338wm load and shot out to 500 yards. It has a 3x9x40 zeiss ontop. I don't expect to shoot that far withthis rifle, morecurious how the Rapid Z reticle does beyond 300 yards with my hunting load. So for me 9(ish)x for longer range and 3(ish)xfor short. Intypical huntingsituation I have my scope sitting in the middle power range (6x), however if the situation should change a simple twist down or up & "golden".

I chose the 3x9x40 conquest for this gun b/c eye relief, mounted closer to the barrel and fit (head/eye position and cheek weld).
Old 09-11-2008, 11:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

PSSolda 2.5x10x42 Nikon Monarch, I found the sight picture bright but lacked clarity and tracked poorly. Also had a stiff power ring that never eased upany,which IMO is no good for hunting. In it's place sits a 3x9x40 bushnell 4200 elite, which I think is a dandy scope minus the shorter eye relief.

I have 3 leupolds left in my cabinet, M8 & Vari X III -older but proven and a VX III (OK butnot reallyimpressed,just buying time till I can justify replaing it).

My biggame main stay rifles all have zeiss conquests on top...I like.

Stillgot a couple elite 3200's, hada #of these and nothing bad to say.

Plusa banter of low end scopes one collects over the years, that see duty on safe queens, rimfires or act as paper weights.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:30 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

That high end is nice for judging the animal at long range. Shooting an Antelope at 600 yards is one thing, but knowing it is a trophy first, would be nice!
That is what spotting scopes are for.One of the most important rules of firearm safety,is to never point a firearm at any object,unless you intend to shoot it.
YMMV I always try to be sure I'm shooting what I want to shoot.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

YMMV I always try to be sure I'm shooting what I want to shoot.
You just very plainly stated that you use your scope to judge game to decide if it is what you want to shoot.Unless you remove the scope to judge that animal,you have already pointed the gun at something that you haven't yet decided to shoot.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:45 PM
Fork Horn

I have two leupolds, vII 3x9, and vIII 1.5x6. I like the vIII better but the II has been excellent for years. I also prefer a wider field of view for close shots andpick up a moving animal. I am consistently within200 yards on most shots-- however, having said that,I am hoping it'll be enough for elk this fall-- agree on spotting scope as your primary tool for long range judging--cant say enough good things about the leupolds. they have stood up to lots of abuse and still deliver.