Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Is an Adjustable Objective nessasary.

Old 09-05-2008, 03:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default Is an Adjustable Objective nessasary.

I am looking at getting a leupold VX-lll in a 4.5-14-40mm, does the adj. obj. just allow you to focus your view more, I am not sureof its purpose, any coments on the VX-lll would be apreciated also, thanks.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Is an Adjustable Objective nessasary.

An adjustable objective does focus the target your shooting at but more importantly it eliminates parrallax. Parrallax is when you look through the scope and the cross hairs appear to move when you move your eye. This is much more evident in higher power scopes. Yes you need an adjustable objective in higher power scopes for accuracy. The VX-III is an excellent scope and I believe for hunting deer size game the 4.5-14 is the best scope you can buy. If you are willing to spend the extra $$ get the target version with the side focus. You won't ever say I wished I bought the lesser $$ with the adjusable objective. Side focus is a sweet set up.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

whitetail_fanatic

Pretty much what gunnermhrsays....

My personal preference fr a hunting scope is not to have the adj objective.. really most of the tine you realy do not have the time to play with a the AO anyway - maybe if you are sitting in blind or stand...

Now for varmit shooting or long range targets - the AO can be very helpful...

Old 09-05-2008, 10:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

rule of thumb I go by is anything over 10x an AO is a good thing.

I think most rifle scopes parrallax is set to 150yds.....so out to 200yds I think everythigns good, but once you start looking at 300, 400, 500yds, not being able to aadjust for it could cost you.

I have a vx-iii 4.5-14x40, and a x50, both are long range models, LR, 30mm tubes, with the side focus rather than the AO, very nice/handy, think about it....
Old 09-06-2008, 08:06 AM

Depends on your shooting form, what you want to do with the scope and how far you plan on shooting. For a target scope or long range varmint rig I like them. For large game hunting don't waste the money on it. For one you don't need that much power and you don't need the precision of a parallax free shot at normal hunting distances. Now if you hunting long ranges like 500 yards and out then it might be a consideration. However out to 200 yards or so on large game it simply isn't needed.

Paul
Old 09-06-2008, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do not like A.O. scopes for deer hunting. Just one more thing to mess with. None of my scopes are over 10X, so I don't need it anyway... Agree with Paul +1.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:12 PM
Fork Horn

I Have have only had 3-9-40 before ao I have never observed parallax, it will be going on a .243 so I will not be shooting very far. I do not like to shoot over two hundred yards anyway, rarley have to. I am stillundecided.Thanks for the replies, very helpful.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

For big game hunting under 500 yards,adjustable parallex is not at all required,in fact it is just one more variable that you don't need to mess with.Then again,I would never mount a scope over 10x for big game hunting.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:37 PM
Fork Horn

Well it will also be used for groundhog/coyote hunting so I want a higher power.