Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Roof or Porro >

Roof or Porro

Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Roof or Porro

Old 08-22-2008, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Roof or Porro

Which would you guys rather have Roof prism or Porro Prism binoculars? In the market to buy a new pair for the deer season and looking for some input, I don't want to break the bank my budget would be around $ 300 give or take.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Roof or Porro

If your going to glass for extended periods of time then Roof is the way to go since they are more ergonomic. I just find Porros too bulky. They have great resolution and all but they are not ascompact and ergonomic. I would look at Pentax WCF Sp ..a great place to buy them iswww.camerlandny.com ask for DougThey have some 8x43's in your price range .
Old 08-22-2008, 07:28 PM

I much prefer roof prism.

Have a pair of Nikon Roof and Steiner porro..... The steiners are great, but the nikons are more comfortable for extended glassing.

MET

Old 08-31-2008, 09:52 AM
Spike

I like roof for its streamlined design and lighter weight.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

i was always told if your going with a budget bino to stick with poros.if you get roofs make sure its phase corrected which is more money. just dont ask me what it means.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:30 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: liquidorange

i was always told if your going with a budget bino to stick with poros.if you get roofs make sure its phase corrected which is more money. just dont ask me what it means.
The phase coating is applied so you can have better color fidelity and contrast. For Porro, you don't need the phase correction since there is no phase shift involved when erecting the image with prisms.