Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

What scope?

Old 08-02-2008, 10:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What scope?

I'm looking for a decent scope to put on my Marlin Muzzle loader. Being that I paid $150 for the gun I don't want to spend a ton more than that for a scope. I would also kind of like a rifle scope so that I can put it on a rifle later on down the road if I want to.

Right now I have a Tasco Bucksight 3x9x40. I put it on last year and it worked great but this year I looked through it and it seems like the cross hairs are blurry and hard to see. I have another one that I used on my rifle while my Leupold was being sent in for repair and just keep it as a spare now. I'm tempted to put this on but would really like to just kind of go to something nice unless you guys think I should just put it on. It works fine now but since this broke after maybe 6 shots then sitting in a gun cabinet it worries me. I also have a guy saying he will buy my spare Tasco for not much less than what I paid.

I have a Leupold VX-1 on my 30-06 and while I like it better than the Tasco I'm not to thrilled with it either. I had the insides break loose inside of it to where they would shake. I sent it in and they did repair it however it took like 2 months and was right in the middle of hunting season and just a pain. That's why I bought the extra Tasco to use until it came back. I hadn't even had the scope for full year when it broke although it had quite a few shots through it.

I want something that will hold up that I wont have to worry too much about it breaking. I'd kind of also like to try a higher power than a 3x9 however if I can't in that price range a 3x9 is fine.

Any suggestions for around $150 or less? The less the better as money is tight right now. I'd love to set my budget at $50 or so but I figure I won't get anything decent at all for that so I'm setting it at $150.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What scope?

Is this any good? I've used a Simmons on a .22 but nothing else and don't remember reading the best things about them in the past however it seems to be exactly what I want at the price I want.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/15190-34.html

I'm also considering this but I really don't want to spend this much money. I may keep looking as this is more of a last resort.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/24806-34.html
Old 08-02-2008, 10:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is the 3rd one I'm looking at. These are the 3 I see I'm mostly interested in although I have no idea if any of them are good.

http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=4104

I just don't have a ton to spend and don't want to spend a ton on a gun I hunted with 1 time last year. I may more this year but still probably not often. The most of the time I shot the gun was sighting it in last year.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:36 PM

Before I spent the money one the Bushnell stuff, I would look at the Nikon Prostaff and / or the Nikon Buckmasters...God back to theopticzone as above, and take a look at these... I have used the Bushnell Banner stuff, but I will not go back to them. The Nikon line is much better, and not really much more $$$.

ProStaff 3-9x40, Nikoplex, Matte

$133.00

More Info

This would be my choice over what you have listed.....

MET

Old 08-03-2008, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I feel like an idiot for posting on forums and telling everyone how it was broken however it wasn't really broken. I just needed to twist the eyepiece to get it back to where the cross hairs are a solid black. Not sure if someone messed with the relief or if it just got thrown off from moving it around last year or what. I never even thought to check it since I hadn't changed it.

I got ready to go to the store to look and price out new scopes. Well, I just decided to try adjusting that even though I didn't know that it would be the problem. To my surprise the more I adjusted it the more the crosshairs showed up. I got it back to like it should be. The only problem I see now is the lock ring doesn't seem to hold it from turning. It tightens it up but I could still turn it without loosening the lock ring as the lock ring seemed to be on there to where I couldn't get it to budge. I finally got it loose and retightened it.

I was going to take this time to upgrade since I just have heard such bad about Tasco and I figured mine had broken too however since it now works fine again I think I'm just going to keep it. I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a gun I hardly ever use when this one works just fine. I don't know why I wanted a higher power one as for a muzzle loader in all honesty I don't think I need more than a 3x9 and it most cases a 4x32 fixed zoom scope probably would have been fine. I'm glad I found out what the problem was before I bought a new one.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:48 AM

For the money, I would go with a Nikon.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:42 PM

ncstar 2-7-32,it is apistol scope.i have it on a 45-70 no trouble.8"eye relief,lighted cross-hairs(red)
cost 60 bucks,you wil not believe quality
Old 08-20-2008, 10:57 AM

i ahve a knight .54 cal and all i did was go to wal mart they had a bushnell 3-9x40 for like $60 boughtit put it on and it works great i went back and bought on for my marlin 30-30 but to me if i can buy a scope at $60 and it works and keeps true it works for me i don't need on that cost$150-200 but i did have a nikon prostaff on my .270 which was on it when i boughtit and loved the scope.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

How about something along the lines of a Weaver K4... fixed 4X. I believe they go for less than $125. With a muzzleloader I see no need for tons of magnification.