Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Leupold/Zeiss Or Bushnell  PLease Help >

Leupold/Zeiss Or Bushnell PLease Help

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Leupold/Zeiss Or Bushnell PLease Help

Old 07-31-2008, 08:40 AM

Default RE: Leupold/Zeiss Or Bushnell PLease Help

Must admit I have never had trouble with a Zeiss scope but for years used Zeiss microscopes and their customer service there was first rate. But that was a former life. Still have never had trouble with a zeiss scope or Leupold either.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my experiences Zeiss, Swarovski and Leupold ALL have top notch CS. Bushnell, Burris and Nikon have had CS issues (according to what I hear... no 1st hand experiences tho). Sightron is also purported to have great CS. I like (and personally have) a Conquest, Leuppy and Bushnell Elite 4200. That being said, you get what you pay for regarding optical quality. Therefore, when I scoped a new Cooper I went with a Swaro...because it met my purchase criteria. To each his own.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

A Diavari as i recall is 3000 or so and the S&B is also ridiculous in price , is a 30 mm tube and is heavy as is the Nightforce
Diavari is probably in the 1500 dollar range or so the S&B is at 2k and it and the Zeiss are in the 19-23 ounce range and most nightforce scopes are in the mid 30's.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

tasco
Old 07-31-2008, 12:52 PM

i just looked up Diavaris at opticsplanet.com. With a good reticle they are 2000 and 30 mm. The illuminated scope is 3000, I can get a conquest for about 800 and then add postage to it. This would be with a Z800 0r Z1000 reticle. IMO, you cannot beat the class for the cost. A new bushnell is as expensive and not the same class of scope. Swaros look like they cost about 400 dollars more than a comparable Zeiss. Both being German there is considerable competition between them. Course Scmidt& Bender is also German but seriously more expensive. Instead of a Diavari I might buy a Nightforce scope that is comparable in cost (Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 NP-R2 try impactguns,com)
Old 07-31-2008, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bob, may I recommend you look at the SWFA site. The prices are more likw what OldElk is saying. Part of the current problem is the value of the US dollar compared to the Euro etc. I love the Zeiss Diavari glass quality, but I prefer 1" tubes and reticles in the 2nd FP. That leaves only the Conquest line in Zeiss for me! I like Swaro AV's (1", 2FP) but my total favorites are the S&B's. Their quality is impeccable. Now that they are coming out with a 1" tube with a 40mm bell that's my focus. It's supposed to be in the $1600 range. The Swaro Z6 is awesome but it's a 30 mm tube so it's not my first choice. So I guess I'm just a little biased towards good glass. BTW, if you like 30mm tubes, check out Meopta Meostar. They are heavy (built like a tank) but glass similar to Zeiss'.

Sorry Camo, not interested in a Trasco! LOL.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:06 PM

i did look at swfa and they do not have nightforce. i usually buy from swfa but got the zeiss from a friend and cheaper than any place. I do know that both S&B and nightforce are great quality but again I would want the S&B on a quality rifle (perhaps a totally restored German 340 or so -- will have one soon). Course I will not shoot it much unless I get a couple of them. Still think a conquest 4.5-14 Z1000 would be perfect on it or maybe wait a bit and get the forthcoming Z1200. I did look at the Meopta. Beautiful scope and it was given to S&B because the owmer of Meopta was dying and the owner of S&B was his best friend or something similar.We do not disagree very much. If I got a Swaro I would be tickled pink but would be more apt to buy the Zeiss.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:02 PM

Leupold, Bushnell Or Zeiss, There All Good Scopes I Would Just rigth them down on slips of paper and then put them in ur favorite hat and then get someone to draw one from the hat hahaha, Just my 2 Cents!
Old 08-02-2008, 08:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Instead of a Diavari I might buy a Nightforce scope that is comparable in cost (Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 NP-R2 try impactguns,com)
My best friend has the following Nightforce Scopes

[ol][*]http://www.nightforceoptics.com/SCOPES_OVERVIEW/COMPACT_NXS_MODELS_/compact_nxs_models_.html[*]http://www.nightforceoptics.com/SCOPES_OVERVIEW/5_5-22x50___5_5-22x56/5_5-22x50___5_5-22x56.html[*]http://www.nightforceoptics.com/SCOPES_OVERVIEW/BENCHREST_MODELS/benchrest_models.html[/ol]

[ol][*]These scopeare rugged as can be but they do not have the resolution or the "brightness" of a S&B Zeiss Swaro or Kahles and did I mention they are HEAVY. I hunted with number 1 and was less then astounded by its lowlight performance. 2. Was very good in lowlight and the illuminated reticle works great one of the better ones. Did not have a chance to look thru 3.Marks Outdoors in Birmingham Alabama has probably one of the best optics departments in the Southeast. They Sell every kind of expensive optic. The store is manned by serious hunters .Alabama is as good a proving ground as there is for testing ascopes lowlight abilities. They have an 800 number give them a call and see what they have to say, great people and a great store that is expensive to visithttp://www.marksoutdoors.com/hscope.html.[/ol]
Old 08-02-2008, 12:30 PM

Well since i live just outside Mobile, I might just look at their lists. I have said repeatedly that any 30 mm scope will be heavier than a 1 inch scope. Does the extra weight mean anything. Like most things it all depends upon your age. I can handle a 10 pound rifle ok but add a heavy scope and you simply tire out quickly. Friend of mind is getting older and is starting into night blindness. He has a Zeiss conquest and is happier with it than anything.

Quick Reply: Leupold/Zeiss Or Bushnell PLease Help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.