Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Laser Boresighter >

Laser Boresighter

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Laser Boresighter

Old 05-12-2008, 07:39 PM

Default Laser Boresighter

Couplequestionson laser boresighters...

I notice there seem to be two varieties, one that inserts in the end of the muzzle, kinda looks like a thermometer; the other looks like a bullet casing. It would seem to me that the casing style would be better. Projecting the laser down the barrel would presumably remove all doubt as to whether or not it's aligned properly, but I dunno . What do you all think?

Is there a particular top-o-the-line brand or are they all pretty much the same?

Is there one in particular that you'd recommend?

Old 05-12-2008, 08:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Laser Boresighter

I have the laser one that goes in the end of the barrel, WHY? because it works for all calibers.....the bullet style ones......you need a new one for each cartridge/caliber.....which would add up if you own more than a few guns....

at the time I bought mine they had to red laser versions.....I think i got the better of the 2, now they have a 3rd green laswer which is the top of the line, I'd suggest getting either the green or the better of the 2 reds....

a bore sighter isn't rocket science either, mine always got me on paper rather accurately, I think I've certainly been on the money always at 50yds, and I think even at a 100yds, was ready to go.

Just looked it up, its the Site Lite SL 100, they make a SL-150, and now/totally new SL-500. so mines now the old version.....works fine IMO, though maybe get the SL-150? mines fuzzy the laser at 25yds or so when bore sighting in your house/basement/wherever, but thats looking at it through a scope but still is very functional, green may be a smaller laser.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:52 AM

Thanks! ...that SL-500 looks excellent.
I'll promote that one to the top of my list!

I see how those insert style lasers fit easily in the muzzle and can accomodate larger bores with that tapered wand. I just wonder, for the larger bores, how do you know it's properly seated inline with the barrel? Isn't there a little bit of play, or no? ...or is it insignificant for a .30 caliber?

As for the casing style, I was under the impression thata kit might includea set of different bore size fittingsthat would accomodate a single laser. ...but I could be totallywrong.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

The one that inserts in the bore would be great if it tightly fit your chamber but it probably doesn't . The other type is a waste of good money. Want to buy mine I'll gladly get rid of it ?
Old 05-13-2008, 08:42 AM

I just found this great little write-up on Cabelas website (thanks tosalukipv1's tip on the SL-100) that pretty much explains how they all work.

Boresighter Buyer's Guide

Looks like the insert style includes O-rings for the larger calibers... so now that makes sense. Just have to be careful not to accidentally leave an O-ring in the barrel.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

the have rubber o rings that go on the other end, the end that goes into the barrel, they have rings for every caliber......the tapered end has a magnet too which kinda sucks it into the barrel, the other end fits snug with the o ring, no wiggle whatsoever, if using the right o ring, be careful to use the right ring in the right location.....so some gun oil/lube can help, once mine wasnt going and had everythign set up right, i cleande dthe barrel and it worked great, so ya maybe jsut run a few swabs.....

all 3 SL-'s would be great I think. I think the 100 and 150 are both red lasers, and cheaper, the green sl-500 is probably the nicest but I think its 2-3X the price.

It's very simple to operate though really. Like I said before, I shot at 50yds just to make sure I was bore sighted, I was on the money, then at 100 yds I was only a few inches off too, its pretty awesome.

PS- if your barrel is clean, and use a little gun oil or just clean your barrel, run a swab before you use it, it should slide in no problem, don't worry about ti sticking inthe barrel, if it feels that tight, don't force it, something's wrong. it'll be snug but not like the the point of muscling it.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:42 PM

I got the cheapo from Walmart. Similar to this....

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat602006-cat200006&id=0012854711491a&navCount=2&amp ;podId=0012854&parentId=cat200006&masterpa thid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IJ&ri d=&parentType=index&indexId=cat200006& hasJS=true

I have used it on a .223 and also a .50 muzzleloader. Both were within an inch side to side of point of aim and 4-5 inches high.

I waited until about midnight and shinned it about 100 yards down the road on the side of a house. Adjusted the scope so the crosshairs were dead on the red dot. It took about 10 seconds. Then went out and shot the next day.

Next time I will do it, I will adjust the scope to just a little above the red dot.

I would highly recommend it.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:02 PM
Typical Buck

i'd go with the multi-caliber laser. but lasers aren't necesary. they just make things move a lot faster. i kinda like the old trial and error method