Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Binoculars need a new pair >

Binoculars need a new pair

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Binoculars need a new pair

Old 05-07-2008, 12:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Binoculars need a new pair

JMO but I think your better off looking at 8x's in the low-mid range bins. The reason being the higher the mag the more easier it is to notice the optical shortcomings - such as edge to edge clarity, crispness, colour/contrast, eye strain, etc. Also consider hand shake the higher the mag the harder they are to hold on target steadyand size increases - weight,etc. Another thing to consider is low light performance, lower mag will always be brighter then higher mag but more apparentwith the quality of glass/coatings. Since you have a spotting scope you don't really need the small increase in power but I think you'll appreciate the brighter image under hunting situations. I personally think above 10x in a Bin isa wastefor hunting, if you need more a spotting scope isbetter suitedand you'll be prepared to use it with a tripod or rest to make the power increase useful.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:40 PM

BKC,
I ditto skeeter that since you have a spotting scope, you're better off with 8x. Maybe 10x (max) if you mainly hunt open areas. I hunt Washington with its evergreen forests so my 8x42 Nikon Monarch's are a great fit. I found a retail knife shop on Froogle that sells them for $250. Its been a while so you'd have to search for it. But thats a great price, esp since I got a camo print (not the ugly, standard black). I wish I had the experience to share about those other brands you suggested but I can tell you that after 2+ years with my Nikons, I don't wish I had spent a little more. That's what I'm afraid of if you choose another without having tried them or going on a lot of people's word as to their quality. I see lots of other hunters out there with Monarchs--that should tell you something. My next optics investment will be a 75x eyepiece for my Nikon spotting scope ($275). After that, I will get a nice, new rifle and buy an expensive scope ($500+). Only after that will I even think about upgrading the Monarchs. It will be 10+ years before I get rid of my bins, if I have it my way. Best luck and God bless.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:00 PM

Vortex Diamondback 10 x 42
Old 11-05-2008, 12:20 AM
BKC

I bought the Nikon Monarch 8x42 team realtree for$320and just love them and I bought a cheap pair of Bushnell 10X42 paid $89.00 on sale at Basspro in Manteca at Grand Opening I just tossed them in the jeep for all the time and I will carry the Nikons
Thanks for all you help
Old 11-05-2008, 05:52 AM
Typical Buck

10 X 42's are fine, if you need more go with a good spotting scope.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:56 AM
BKC

When I was buying the Nikon the sales man talked me in to the 8 power because they brought more light in I looked at both pair and he was right and the power difference was not a factor. what do you all think? should I retune them for the 10 power
Old 11-05-2008, 10:39 AM
Typical Buck

It's what you think will work the best. The 8 power probably does let in more light being less power. I ended up buying both 10X42 and 8X25, Redhead Pursuit's, ( Bass Pro). Real good glass, as good or better than the higher priced brands I compaired them to.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:40 AM
Typical Buck

Skeeter is dead on

Stay in the 8X range for all the reasons he lists. I chose 8X in for my Pentax DCF-SPs and remain delighted with them. I won't go hunting without them.

The advantages of 8X over 10X include:

Brighter
Less noticable hand shake
Higher quality overall image in the lower price bionos
Wider field of view

Recommendation in your price range: Vortex Diamondback 8X42. Bought a pair for my son last year and they are truly unbelievable at that price point.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mouthcaller

Skeeter is dead on

Stay in the 8X range for all the reasons he lists. I chose 8X in for my Pentax DCF-SPs and remain delighted with them. I won't go hunting without them.

The advantages of 8X over 10X include:

Brighter
Less noticable hand shake
Higher quality overall image in the lower price bionos
Wider field of view

Recommendation in your price range: Vortex Diamondback 8X42. Bought a pair for my son last year and they are truly unbelievable at that price point.

x2 for VORTEX
Old 11-12-2008, 07:34 PM
Typical Buck

At the $250 price point, the swift ultra light's might be available and they get good reviews. They might be closer to $300 this year, though. You may also be able to searcch far and wide ffor a close out deal on Bushnell Discoverer's. These are both good binos.

Quick Reply: Binoculars need a new pair

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.