HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Optics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/optics-85/)
-   -   Swarovski, Leupold, Nikon, Zeiss? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/optics/242222-swarovski-leupold-nikon-zeiss.html)

salukipv1 04-22-2008 11:00 PM

RE: Swarovski, Leupold, Nikon, Zeiss?

part of my decision depends on the gun/caliber its going on, and what I'm looking for/what they offer. Not everyone makes a scope that directly competes with another.

I've owned most of the above, cept the zeiss. My swaro is beyond sweet, its certainly top notch in every way, i turned to leupold after having a nikon, the nikon was nice, but I thought the leupold was nicer, also leupold had the B&C reticle, at the time not many others did. Now everyone seems to.

Again depending on the caliber, that would kinda determine what size scope I'd want..... at the time swaro had a 3-12, leupold had a 3.5-10, or a 4.5-14, the gun it was going on I wanted both low end mag and high end mag, 3-12 was perfect, 3.5-10, was still too high at 3.5, and 10 wasnt enough on the top end, and 4.5 was certainly too high of a low end mag, even the 3X to me was pushing it a tad, but I didn't feel like 3x would be too much mag in close quarters, and 12x up top was also great. now they have the Z6 which would be a 2-12.

Also 50mm objectives, are nice, but IMO too big/awkward sometimes, I prefer 40-45mm, and also dpending on the gun its going on I still would consider a 50mm.

I wasn't impressed with Zeiss binos, but I'd still consider their products, though being disappointed in their binos certainly doesn't make me jump to use their scopes, though I would compare/look at one.

All 4 brands I think offer some quality stuff, though some brands may not offer what you want in a particular scope etc.... ie they may not offer the 2.5-10 in the monarch gold, but in the monarch....something like that. Or the reticle wont be offered in a particle magnification range.....

B.B.A. 04-23-2008 06:23 AM

One guy said Swarovski alwayscome in second to Zeiss. I am not sure what his source of information is?? I have not seen these comparisons.I will admit that Zeiss makes a good product. I have3 Zeiss scopes. But the only Zeiss that compares to the Swarovski is the West German 3X9 in their one inch scope(with the features the author listed). And that scope is over $1,000(last time I checked). The Conquest does not compare quality wise to the A-Line.
Is it me you're refering to as "one guy"?
Here in sweden or the rest of europe Zeiss is considered as the number one scope. If you had tried a diavari victory or varipoint you would not dissagre. I've got one diavari victory ill. 6-24x56 and one varipoint 1,1-4x24 also ill. The swarovski simply can't compete with zeiss victory in lo or no light conditions. But swarro's would be my second choice- good scopes. kahles can't compete with either zeiss or swarovski, thats a fact!
AndI do agree with you, zeiss conquest is not even close to a german made diavari victory.

HEAD0001 04-23-2008 02:54 PM

Yes it was your comment I was referring to. I just did not want to present it as a conflict, but more of a comparison.

I did not speak of the more expensive larger tube and larger objective scopes for one reason. IMO the poster is looking for the smaller lighter scope. But I still agree with you about the W. German 3X9. It is definitely a great light scope. I have one on a Remington pump carbine, and this would be one of the last scopes and rigs I would ever get rid of. But I do not think it is in the price range any more. As a matter of fact anyone who wants to buy import optics better do it pretty quick. With the continued devaluation of the US dollar the European glass is going to be priced clear out of the American market. Tom.

Mojotex 04-24-2008 08:29 PM

Here's my $.02. In my opinion, you get what you pay for ... sort of like buying a quality camera lenses. ButI will admit there comes a point of deminishing returns ... and pretty quick $$$-wise.I am of the opinion that with $1000 to spend you are beyond the more dramatichump of that reduction in return for the $$$. I am big time fan of the higher endSwarovskiand Zeisss scopes. I have both and they are superb. But these are several hundred or more beyond your $1000 limit. So I will limit my suggestions to the range that you mentioned. FYI - I have used and/or sighted in scopes made by too many different manufacturers, and too wide a price range to list here. If you need the "long version", e-mail me and I'll share. I'm talkling $40 BSA's to $2500 Zeiss'.

Here's my #1 suggestion ... and this is first hand,a scope that I own and have used on several hunts in the 2007 -08 season ... the Zeiss Conquest.This scope sits on top of an inline 50 cal. muzzle loader that I use 150 gr. 777 to push a 340 gr. bullet. So it has "felt" recoil. I realize there is zero logevity, but I have to think that the long term ruggedness is there in the Zeiss name.As far as optical performance, I put this scopeabove my 2 - Leupold Vari-X III's as far as clarity, crispness and low light viewing. And I put itwell above a comparably pricedNikon Monarch that I have.

Not on your list, but in my opinion and within your price range, there is another good buy ....a Kahles, 1" tube scope. These usually run about $700 +/-. I have a 3-9x40 mm , 1" tube mounted on a "lender' rifle. Several friends have used this set-up with excellent comments. I have used the same many times and this scope has performed well in the field.

bucksnortinted 05-01-2008 09:13 PM

i also have a zeiss conquest 3.5x10x50mm and i wouldn't trade it for vari-x 3 or a nikon monarch either this glass is superior for what i gave for it,if i did purchase another scope it would be a zeiss