Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Question about scope and mounts for an old .22LR? >

Question about scope and mounts for an old .22LR?

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Question about scope and mounts for an old .22LR?

Old 03-09-2008, 09:15 PM
Spike

Default Question about scope and mounts for an old .22LR?

I have a Glenfield (Marlin) Model 60 semi-auto .22 rifle that belonged to my late grandfather. It has the standard open sights as well as a 1x15 Glenfield scope. As far as I know, this thing is older than I am (I'm 30) but is a great little gun.

I just replaced a 3-9x40 scope (Bushnell Banner) for a better one on my deer rifle and thought the old one could go on the .22. This gun gets mixed use; mostly target shooting but some pest control and hunting given the proper situation. Here are my questions:

- Is a 3-9x40 scope ridiculous overkill for a .22LR? I notice most ".22 specific scopes" are fixed power with a 32mm objective.

- Are there any decent 3/8" dovetail peep-sight scope mounts? I've been looking and haven't found much. I know peep-sight mounts are not the strongest choice, but I would like to preserve use of the open sights. Many scope mounts I see for 3/8" dovetails are for airguns.

Rather than stuff the 3-9x40 scope in a drawer and continue to use the 1x15 scope, I thought I would see if there could be a happy marriage at a minimum expense. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Old 03-10-2008, 08:14 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Question about scope and mounts for an old .22LR?

I just looked at Midway usa and they have several different rings for $8 to $22. I sure you could find these just about anywhere and it wont break the bank.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

I put an old Tasco 3x9 I had on my grandsons .22 and used the see thru mounts. It seems to work well.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:03 PM

A 3-9x40 would be a great scope for that gun. Only two downsides I can think off are it will weigh more and the parallax is set for 100 yards vrs 50 or so that an actual rimfire scope would be set at. You most likely won't notice a difference though.

Just remember to keep it cranked down to 3 power or so unless you really need the extra power.

You see a lot of those banners on .22 rimfires.

As far as good rings, I can't really suggest anything off the top of my head, just don't get the cheapest ones you can find at wally world.

Paul
Old 03-10-2008, 06:47 PM
Spike

I guess I should have taken the old scope off before posting. The drop on the stock is not enough for me to use the open sights, I can't get lined up. So I don't need to worry about see-thru anymore.

Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about a brand called Kwik-Site? They are out of MI so I would like to give a US company and my home state my business, if they do make their stuff in the USA. Much of their stuff is around the midpoint price wise.

http://www.kwiksitecorp.com/

Here are their 3/8" dovetail to Weaver adapters at Cabelas:

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2008, 01:56 PM

Those look pretty nice actually, better than what you normally see.

You don't want see throughs, ick. If you are going to use a scope use a scope, not both.

Paul