Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Bushnell 4200Elite vs Leupold VXIII -- VXII ***** Please  Post your Opinions and experiance please.. >

Bushnell 4200Elite vs Leupold VXIII -- VXII ***** Please Post your Opinions and experiance please..

Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Bushnell 4200Elite vs Leupold VXIII -- VXII ***** Please Post your Opinions and experiance please..

Old 02-29-2008, 11:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default Bushnell 4200Elite vs Leupold VXIII -- VXII ***** Please Post your Opinions and experiance please..

Looking to buy a new scope for my .308 browning Lever Action i bought last year.. which has some old skewl bushnell scope on it.. which.. i shot 2/2 deer this year.. so.. its good.. maybe i shouldnt change it? just looking ot buya new toy.. please advise.. im looking to spend upto @ MAX $600 really dont want to go over $450.. but then you get jack SH** basically.. so.. .your opinions..
the
Leopold VX-III 3.5-10x50mm or (40mm) now im a dubby when it comes to scopes n stuff.. so the 40 or 50mm would mean the wide field of view right? so.. i can see more at a time while scanning through and placing a shot right? thanks.. so..
Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10x50mm
and lets throw in the
Leopold VX-II 3-9x50mm and
Leopold VX-II 4-12x50mm

Now im Hunting in UPSTATE NY where shots arent realistic over 100 yards.. usually 30-70 yard shots.. very thick woods.. and im going for Deer/Bear and want this on my .308 for now.. dont know what future holds.. so.. please advise and the reason i was looking at the 4-12 is because i would like to keep this scope for years to come when i start to travel hunt for Antelope and other.... thanks for looking... sorry for really long post..
-Chris

Old 03-01-2008, 12:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bushnell 4200Elite vs Leupold VXIII -- VXII ***** Please Post your Opinions and experiance please..

IMHO you don't need more then 10x for Big Game hunting. I have no problems using 9 or 10x scopes and shooting to 500 yards. I also see little need for a 50mm objective, I use to think otherwise butI foundthe possible negatives out weigh the benefits for most when it comes to big game hunting hours.

Some of the negatives:
The scope must be mounted higher which can cause for poor cheek weld(a component that can effect accuracy)
Higher can mean it won't fit into carrying or storage devices
Higher easier to get snagged on brush/limbs
Highermounts can lead tomore fatigue on the mounting system
50mm objectives cost more socan lead to one choosing a lesser model optically to stay within budget and obtaining less performance

As far as the FOV goes yes it is wider in a comparable model 50mm vs 40mm, however in all honesty it has never amounted to much gain in the field IME. Though it is a personal preference so you must deciede this for yourself. I have heard guys say they feel like a fisheye looking through a 40 vs larger???

In regards to the scopes you mentioned I'd go with 4200 in 40mm or a VXII in a 40mm. I have a VXIII and honestly wouldn't buy another at this time. In fact I suggest you look at a Zeiss Conquest as well. A 40 mm will run $400 or less. You could also check out a 44m, though htey are more money. I have both of these Conquest models and they are superior to the VXIII, VXII and 4200's I have or looked through. I would save the money personally and buy a 3x9x40 Conquest but again that is for you deciede not me

Old 03-01-2008, 07:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Bushnell 4200Elite vs Leupold VXIII -- VXII ***** Please Post your Opinions and experiance please..

Of your choices I would go for the 4200 Bushnell. I think the Lupy's are overpriced for the quality. I would go for the Zeiss Conquest personally.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:53 AM
Fork Horn

I also vote for the Ziess Conquest. The optics on the Conquest is much better than the Leopolds, and the Eye relief on the 4200's is not up to par with the newer scope designs.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:58 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bushnell 4200Elite vs Leupold VXIII -- VXII ***** Please Post your Opinions and experiance plea

I shoot a 30-06 and I used to have an old bushnell 3-9 that my dad used for 20 years, but I finally put a vari-x II 3-9 by 40mm and I LOVE IT!!!! It is soo clear and is so easy to focus my eye on. I love it.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bushnell 4200Elite vs Leupold VXIII -- VXII ***** Please Post your Opinions and experiance plea

Good choices that are as good as (or better IMO) than Leupy's... Zeiss Conquest, Elite 4200 or the new 6500, Sightron Big Sky, Meopta, IOR, the new Nikon Monarch. I'd even consider a fixed 4 or 6 X. The Leupy's in the FX III series are great though. Good luck.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

Since you're shooting less than 100 yards (usually 30-70 yards), I'd recommend you consider just putting a smaller scope on your rifle. Maybe a 2-7 power scope that you can pick up targets with. You could save money and have a scope more suited for the hunting you're doing. JMHO and good luck.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:22 PM
Fork Horn

GUys thanks for ALL the input.. im gonna really look hard at the conquest.. seems everyone on this post as well as all others really favors the zeiis.
thanks again.. anyone else want to add some more info.. please do.. thanks to all.
-Chris
Old 03-01-2008, 08:01 PM
Fork Horn

Also.. another question.. on the Zeiss Conquest.. which is all your favorite type of Reticle?
Old 03-01-2008, 08:22 PM
Fork Horn

ALso.. whats the BEST SITE to buy the ZEISS... cheapest ofcourse..
thanks

Quick Reply: Bushnell 4200Elite vs Leupold VXIII -- VXII ***** Please Post your Opinions and experiance please..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.