HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Optics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/optics-85/)
-   -   cheap spotting scopes (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/optics/230578-cheap-spotting-scopes.html)

okiejaco 02-03-2008 02:54 PM

cheap spotting scopes

Can anyone recommend or not recommend a cheap spotting scope? Will not be use a lot, mostly out of the pickup during pre-scouting. I have looked at ncstar, bsa, and simmons. Trying to stay under $100. Thanks

bugsNbows 02-04-2008 04:54 AM

RE: cheap spotting scopes

Brunton Echo 12-36 X 50.

edelsite 02-04-2008 03:24 PM

I don't know what magnification you're looking for, but I got one of the Burris 12-24 compact spotting scopes just for at the range and it's actually pretty clear for the $49 that I paid for it. A lot clearer with less edge distortion than many of the cheaper variables I've looked through. It weighs notihing also.

okiejaco 02-04-2008 05:56 PM

I was think I needed something in the 20-60 or maybe 15-45 range but not sure. I will be looking at deer that are anywhere from 1/2 to 1 mile away. Never heard of the Brunton. How good can you see deer at a mile away with 36 power? Thanks for the help.

skeeter 7MM 02-04-2008 07:30 PM

I honestly can't suggest anything as ones costing more then double have been poor for long range scouting IME, especially low light and trying to determine or judge headgear. Its been my experience with optics the higher the mag the moreapperent optic flaws become, so if your dead set on such a budget I would personally steer clear of the 60X's as they most likely will be as useful as "teets on a boar" at higher mag and that range.

Ie: MyWind River Sequoia at 45x was fine to a mile in good light, however in lower light it was a no go at that power and range. I have replaced it with a 20-60-80 Bushnell Elite, much better though in extremely low light it can get dim at 60x and I may need to back off to find a happy medium. If it weren't for a an exceptional deal on the Elite I would have saved more pennies and bought higher end still. I probably will some day but so far I am happy with this scope for its purpose: range and distance scouting/judging. I have a tripod and use it almost exclusively. I also have a window mount which I have usedwhile scouting waterfowl for years. Both of these scopes are more thenthose you mention or budgeted. Sorry probably of little help to you. May be put the money towards a better set of bins instead???

Good Luck

okiejaco 02-05-2008 05:29 PM

Any information is appreciated and always some help. I am planning on get some new binoculars, thinking about the Leupold Cascades. Thought I would get a cheap spotting scope to use for a couple of years and if I like it, then get one that is a little better.

bugsNbows 02-06-2008 05:07 AM

With optics you surely get what you pay for. I've had a top end Nikon ED spotter which was great (but for it's cost it should be). The big Swaros are wonderful too. The Brunton I mentioned certainly isn't in that class. It is, however, pretty decent optics wise. I was actually surprised. I've not utilized it for 1 mile away critter spotting so I don't know about that. It is very light weight making it much easier to carry than lugging the big monsters around. It weighs 21 ozs., FOV @ 100 yards of 205 ft., exit pupil of 4.2 mm at lowest power and a close focus of 20 feet. I did see a favorable review (recently) but I can't remember what mag / editor checked it out. If I can find it I'll post the source.

bugsNbows 02-06-2008 05:39 AM

The write-up I was referring to appeared in the Jan. 08 issue of Rifle Sporting Firearms Journal, Issue # 235. I believe Clair Rees was the reviewer.