Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 long range scope? >

long range scope?

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

long range scope?

Old 12-28-2007, 05:31 AM

Default long range scope?

I have always used leupold scopes ,in high school I saved $212 to buy my 1st. a 3.5x10 -40 my friends thought I was crazy in 1977 .I use it to this day on a mod. 70 270win. Now I want one for my new mod. 700 in a 300 RUM the trigger is done and a break has been installed .I want one for long range hunting and want some advise on which one to buy the vxiii or vx7 or tactical.I need more power what do you think 4.5x14-50mm or6.5x20-50mm. what do you think about the boone and crocket hairs.I am looking forward to shooting this gun at game beyond 400 yards on deer and larger game. what do you think?

[/align]
Old 12-28-2007, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: long range scope?

I personally wouldn't even look at Leupolds, but that is just me. In my opinion, for the money, Zeiss Conquests are better optically and a better value. I have Conquests in 4.5-14 and 6.5-20 and love them both.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

The general thought is that the Leupolds are over priced in relation to the quality and pricesof scopes you can get from other companies, but buy what you want to.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

In my opinion, for the money, Zeiss Conquests are better optically and a better value.
+2

If your going to by spending the type$$ askedfor a VX7 then I'd compare other high end optics before buying one. Personally I haven't looked through one so no clue. Though I have peered through LPS's and found others I'd rather spend that type of coin on.

Good Luck
Old 12-28-2007, 10:27 AM

I 'm not totally sold on leupold after many run ins with thier binoculars.I just want to be very happy with the gun when it's done. More info please?

[/align]
Old 12-28-2007, 10:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

How much are you willing to spend?
Old 12-28-2007, 11:45 AM

I would look at a Bushnell 4200 or any other scope with a higher than average amount of magnification and windage and elevation adjustment knobs.

Leupold made it's money back in the day when no one else made a good long range - high power scope. At the time they were pretty good. Now other companies has caught up and even passed them in quality and performance.

Most of the old time long range riflemen still use the 20 - 30 year old Leupolds.

I would go to a gun shop and look at what they have that is available and look through the scopes until you find one that you like. Take it home and try it.

A good gun shop will take it back if it isn't right.

Rule of thumb is - the more you pay the better it should be and the longer it should last.
You can't buy a good scope for what you want to do for less than $500 these days.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:06 PM

This is a rifle my father had done for me befor he past awaythe spring befor last and I'm willing to top it off with the best at nearly any cost .It will be pastdown, after hopfully many seasons ,to the next generation.It has been out twice and made 2 one shot kills ,one 6x6 whitetail and a 5x3 bull elk.Thanks for all the advice.

[/align]
Old 12-28-2007, 04:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Zeiss, Swarovski, Nightforce, Schmidt and Bender, Leupold. Not in any order.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:30 PM

I give another vote for Nightforce for a long Range Tactical type. I have a Leupold MK 4 Long Range Tactical on my Armalite .338 Lapua Mag. I wish I could get rid of it, and wish I had never bought the damn thing.
Reticle broke on it between the 3-5 shot fired after mounting. They swore it was just dust in the reticle. Funny how it was perfectly rectangle on the sides, and bottom, and just a little jagged on the one short side.
I will say that their customer service though was TOP NOTCH. besides telling me that it was dust, they emailed me an over night UPS shipping label to send to them, and I had it back within 7 days of sending it to them.

Quick Reply: long range scope?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.