Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 new to scopes >

new to scopes

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

new to scopes

Old 12-25-2007, 06:04 PM

Default new to scopes

i have been bow hunting for years .,i won a 30.06 stevens bolt action.,without a sight., now im real new to rifles and scopes ., i have been reading all the posts on here on optics and price.,., i will be hunting deer in the fall for a 9 day season,. and maybe if im lucky do a few elk hunts along with muledeer hunts., would a 200.00 up to 500.00 scope been fine for me for the amount i will be useing it ., or should i save and go with even better., thank you all for your help.,
Old 12-25-2007, 06:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: new to scopes

More you spend of coarse the better the scope you'll find. The price range you mentioned you can get into a pretty decent scope. From low end to mid range scopes you will find a HUGE differnce in the quality. From mid range to high end wont see as much of adramatic differnce as from low end to mid range.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

A Bushnell Elite 4200 3x9x40 for about $265 plus rings and base would be a great scope for you.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:23 PM

I agree that the Bushnell is a good scope for the price. I would also recommend the Nikon Buckmaster. Might cost a little more than the bushnell, but I think it is a better scope. I have used both extensively.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:13 PM

i went to the local sports store and was looking at scopes, they have one there that is there scope scheels outfitters scope .,it went about 250.00 .,it also says on there that it is a lifetime warranty., i don't think i can go wrong with that ., didn't buy it yet but just looking ., thanks for all thehelp!
Old 12-30-2007, 07:22 PM
Typical Buck

Dont know anything of of your fore mentioned scope, I do know that in your price range, there is several great choices of quality scopes. You probaly want a 3-9 variable as this covers the best ranges for deer hunting. Heres a couple: Bushnell 3200, or 4200 $220-$300; Leupold vx-II $300; Nikon buckmaster $200-$300; Zeiss conquest $400. Any one of these scopes should last as long as you take care of them. I am pretty certain that these are all lifetime warranties. Dont foget to purchase quality rings and bases, DONT buy them from wally world! I suggest Luepold or Warne mounts. These prices maybe a little high too, they came from Cabelas catalog. Good luck with your search, hope this helps!

Old 12-30-2007, 07:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Why would you want to go on any forum and ask a question about buying a quality scope, get some sound advice and then come back on here talking about a "sheels outfitter scope" that very few people have ever heard about??????[:'(]
Old 12-31-2007, 02:53 PM

oh i did get sound advice ., from you and the others., and i thank you for the advice,.I'm still looking., and looking at all what was mentioned above., but i really didn't think i would strike a nerve with the mention of a different scope,. that you nor anybody else have herd of ., thanks for your help . ,
Old 12-31-2007, 04:19 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: johnnybravoo77

Dont know anything of of your fore mentioned scope, I do know that in your price range, there is several great choices of quality scopes. You probaly want a 3-9 variable as this covers the best ranges for deer hunting. Heres a couple: Bushnell 3200, or 4200 $220-$300; Leupold vx-II $300; Nikon buckmaster $200-$300; Zeiss conquest $400. Any one of these scopes should last as long as you take care of them. I am pretty certain that these are all lifetime warranties. Dont foget to purchase quality rings and bases, DONT buy them from wally world! I suggest Luepold or Warne mounts. These prices maybe a little high too, they came from Cabelas catalog. Good luck with your search, hope this helps!

IMO, there's a step function in scopes that happens when you go from the $10 - $100 scopes,up to$150or so. You get out of the BSA/cheapo no-names, and into the Weavers / Bushnell 3200's: a vast improvement. Moving from $150 toward $400 gives another increase, though not nearly as dramatic. You can discern a better picture, but you may wonder, "is it really 2 to 3 times better", to match the increase in price?

Things do get better moving up from there, but the increases in picture don't really match the increase in price. If you want the "best" scope, you'll certainly pay for it, but you won't really be able to say it's"orders of magnitude"better than a $400-ish scope.

The scopes mentioned above are solid choices, all: pick one, and you won't be disappointed. If you're considering a scope without the name recognition of these, you could likely expect that such a scope would have a picture that would be competitive with those in the same price range. However, you'd have little assurance about quality, warranty, or customer service.

FC
Old 01-02-2008, 07:04 AM
Fork Horn

I have several Nikon scopes. All good. You should be very happy with a Nikon 3x9-40 Monarch. Will work well on the 30.06. Remember you are not going to take 600 yards shot with the 30-06 so you do not need a fancy reticle with Bullet Drop Compensator and who knows what.

Quick Reply: new to scopes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.