HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Optics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/optics-85/)
-   -   Good Low light scope (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/optics/223870-good-low-light-scope.html)

spd522 12-22-2007 11:37 PM

Good Low light scope

I am considering updating the scope on my M700 in 300 WinMag. Currently I have a VX-111 in 4.5x14.
It works just fine in bright light but in low light hunting conditions, it is quite dark and grainy.

Most of my hunting is whitetailsover hay fields where a 450 yard shot isn't uncommon.I don't have problems in good light but
early morning or sundown gives me fits. I also occasionally head west for antelope, mulies, and elk. Most of the terrain I hunt is wide open. I use a different rifle if I hunt timber or close range.

I have decided on a few changes. I want a 30mm tube. I want an increase to at least 18 power on the top
end. I want at least a 50mm objective. And I wanta Mil-Dot reticle.

All of this and stay under $1000.

So far, it seems to have narrowed down to a Burris Black Diamond or Pentax Lightseeker 30, both 6x24x50. Little things I have read seem to indicate they are basically built by the same folks.

Anyone have experience or suggestions regarding either of these two scopes? Or on some other scopes I have overlooked. If price was no object, I know it would open up the contenders quite a bit.

Thanks

Warkie 12-23-2007 05:53 AM

RE: Good Low light scope

I have a Bushnell Elite 4200 and am very impressed with it. It works great in low light situations.
[align=left] [/align]

glockman55 12-23-2007 06:54 AM

I'm using the same scope. Leopold vari-x III,4.5X14X50, Works for me in low light on low power. Maybe go with something in a 56 mm. or a 3X9...

johnnybravoo77 12-23-2007 07:07 AM

Glockmans right. The higher the power, the harder it will be see in low light. I have the leupold VX-L 3.5-10x50 and I can seewell after legal hunting time.

glockman55 12-23-2007 08:06 AM

I have the v-x I 3X9X40 on my Encore and on 3X I can see real good in low light

700xcr 12-23-2007 08:35 AM

ORIGINAL: spd522

I am considering updating the scope on my M700 in 300 WinMag. Currently I have a VX-111 in 4.5x14.
It works just fine in bright light but in low light hunting conditions, it is quite dark and grainy.

Most of my hunting is whitetailsover hay fields where a 450 yard shot isn't uncommon.I don't have problems in good light but
early morning or sundown gives me fits. I also occasionally head west for antelope, mulies, and elk. Most of the terrain I hunt is wide open. I use a different rifle if I hunt timber or close range.

I have decided on a few changes. I want a 30mm tube. I want an increase to at least 18 power on the top
end. I want at least a 50mm objective. And I wanta Mil-Dot reticle.

All of this and stay under $1000.

So far, it seems to have narrowed down to a Burris Black Diamond or Pentax Lightseeker 30, both 6x24x50. Little things I have read seem to indicate they are basically built by the same folks.

Anyone have experience or suggestions regarding either of these two scopes? Or on some other scopes I have overlooked. If price was no object, I know it would open up the contenders quite a bit.

Thanks
I am from the Pacific NW. and hunt the wheat fields and CRP ground.I use a Remington 700xcr in 270wsm. I topped it a Burris 30mm Euro-Diamond 2.5x10x44mm with the Ballistic Plex. This scope is bright and clear. I found that it is enough power for deer and elk out to 600yds. But if you want more power look at Burris 30mmBlack Diamond they have the higher power. Ballistic Plex and Ballistic Mil-Dot works really well.

oldelkhunter 12-23-2007 10:41 AM

Look at the www.cdnninvestments.com site and download their catalog in PDF. They have Kahles CL and C (30mm) scopes way within the price range your talking and a lot in 30 mm. I have 2 of the one inch models and they are super bright I can't imagine what a 30mm tube they build will look like. They have a lifetime manufacturer warranty from Kahles. I am purchasing a either a 3-10x50 or 4-12x52 cl from them if I ever make up my mind. Go to WWW.SWFA.com and search on them in their optics forum. These are also more compact scopes then all mentioned here and are not as HEAVY by a long shot.

bugsNbows 12-23-2007 11:39 AM

Good scopes cost lots. Here is one worth considering: Swarovski American (1 " tube) 6-18 X 50 with the TDS reticle. You can pick up a slightly used one off the Sample List at S.W.F.A. for $1000. You'd be hard pressed to do much better unless you get the new Swaro Z6 models but they cost way more. . If you step up to a 30mm, the price exceeds your limit unless you drop down (somewhat) on the magnification. For example, a Kahles CL Multizero 4-12 X 52 for $800 or a 3-12 X 56 for $900. These Kahles are VERY good scopes. There are (oftentimes) very good deals on the Sample List. These are slightly used, demos or discontinued models and are warrantied. Go to the S.W.F.A. website and snoop around.

oldelkhunter 12-23-2007 01:13 PM

For example, a Kahles CL Multizero 4-12 X 52 for $800 or a 3-12 X 56 for $900. These Kahles are VERY good scopes. There are (oftentimes) very good deals on the Sample List. These are slightly used, demos or discontinued models and are warrantied. Go to the S.W.F.A. website and snoop around.
The Samplelist puts a limited warranty on the scopes they sell used, some have been mounted on rifles and others have been display items the Kahles sold by CDNNINVestments are full manufacturer warranty and are new in the Box..you can buy a new cl 4-12x52 for 699 with out multizero and 799 with multizero that is the cheapest I have seen them anywhere. CDNN is undercutting every Kahles dealer out there. One of the reasons Kahles has split from Swaro is that people saw them as 2nd place to Swaro in quality when nothing could be further then the truth. I bought my last one at a exposition and I talked to a Kahles engineerp and he very clearly told me that Kahles is the better scope out there . He didn't have to tell me that I already knew. My experience is I have 2 of them and I just sold a Swaro4-12x50 AV and am looking to buy another 3-10 or 4-12x52 Kahles. I really like the 2.5-10x50mm 30mmC model they have for 799 but I am not sure about finding the right rings for my Sako so I may stay 1" tube.

kdvollmer 12-24-2007 10:53 AM

look into the nightforce scopes. Might be more than you were talking about, but super clear. Definatly will fit the bill that you are lookin for