HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Optics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/optics-85/)
-   -   If You Had To Make The Choice? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/optics/221957-if-you-had-make-choice.html)

jlbspd 12-10-2007 04:11 PM

If You Had To Make The Choice?

So, if you had to make a choice (if you had to LOL) on a scope brand with a max purchase price of $150, who would you chose? I would like to mount something on my new Ruger Frontier for this weekend but not in position to purchase a $300 scope before Xmas. My plans are to purchase something that will get me thru the weekend then after the 1st of the yr, replace it with a higher quality. The "cheap" scope wont be a waist as i will move it over to my AK which is just a fun toy. I have looked at NcStars, Bushnell, Tasco etc etc...... Who has the best rep for cheaper scopes? I wasnt planning on spending big $$ for the AK anyways so in the long run it could be a win win for me;)Oh, i will be making a "scout scope" / longer eye relief choice, say 9" relief....not sure how many manufactures offer this feature.

johnnybravoo77 12-10-2007 07:13 PM

RE: If You Had To Make The Choice?

Variable or fixed power? You'll be looking at pistol scopes for that kind of eye relief. Unfortunatly there is not a lot to choose from. I would go with the Bushnell Trophy Pistol Scope 2-6x32mm its about $165.

timbercruiser 12-10-2007 09:09 PM

I wouldn't hesitate to go to www.samplelist.com and see what I could get in that price range. They are demo's/refurbs/trades, lot of new scopes. I've seen a lot of DEALS on that site and the folks are great to talk to.

jlbspd 12-11-2007 08:15 AM

adjustable or fixed, either one to get me scoped up for the weekend. Ill be using it this weekend at ranges under 200yrds. Im going to check out Samplelist now....Most pistol scopes have much longer eye reliefs (12-14")as you are holding the handgun out much farther. Im sure there may be a couple pistols with a 9" relief as well. Thanks for the info. Anyone else wanna chim in please! LOL

jlbspd 12-11-2007 08:42 AM

Since the topic was brought up, what would be advantages / Disadvantages of fixed and adjustable. I am ultimately scoping out my Ruger Frontier .308 and the longest shot i can see attempting would be 250yrds but most will be inside 150-200yrds. I have never had a fixed scope but have been told it would probably be the choice i should make as it will prevent the unwanted magnified gun movement and since im not reaching out far, it shouldwork well. So with this, would a 2x20 be a good consideration? or adjustable? Thanks

jlbspd 12-11-2007 08:57 AM

Now reading review which the author stated he was using a Bushnell 2-6x on a Ruger Frontier and felt he was limited by the 6x ? If you were hunting dense Florida brush with a few shooting lanes out to max 300yrds, what would u chose? fixed or adjust? and power?

wpmcdaniel 12-12-2007 12:07 PM

Simons Aetec 2.8x10x44. I have one and for the money it is a VERY good scope.