Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Which rangefinder...Bushnell, Nikon, Cabela's? >

Which rangefinder...Bushnell, Nikon, Cabela's?

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Which rangefinder...Bushnell, Nikon, Cabela's?

Old 12-07-2007, 12:03 PM

Default Which rangefinder...Bushnell, Nikon, Cabela's?

I am new to this site and am looking for some advice on which rangefinder to buy. The models I'm debating between are the Bushnell Yardage Pro 450, the Nikon ProStaff Laser 440, the Bushnell Yardage Pro Trophy and the Cabela's CLR 800 (made by Bushnell). My budget requires me keep the rangefinder at or below $225. It will be used primarily for bowhunting for Whitetails in timber from a treestand but will also be used for rifle hunting in timber and possibly a trip out West for elk. Also, I wear glasses. Any advice on these four models or suggstions on other models would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 12-07-2007, 09:32 PM

Default RE: Which rangefinder...Bushnell, Nikon, Cabela's?

im in the same boat as you, looking for a descent range finder. the Cabelas model seemed pretty consistent on returning distances when moving from object to object( didnt know it was made by Bushnell, that helps) says it will go out to 700 yd but is only a 6x power, but also is only $200.
the others the had were pretty consistent as well and it little better magnification but were pushing $300 would like to get some feed back about these and try to keep it below $250 OTD
Old 12-08-2007, 03:56 AM

I have the Nikon 440 and it is awesome. $179 at Cabelas. $199 for camouflage. The only thing it doesn't have, and I'm not sure how important it is, is the ARC feature, which may or may not be important for a person in a treestand. All I know is that mine is terrific and performs well. Good luck.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:11 AM

Take a look at these, i just ordered two of them, one for me and one for my brother in law. These normally run run 319.99 at Bass Pro. But it is just an idea.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Leupold-RX-2-Digital-Rangefinder-CAMO_W0QQitemZ330195858701QQihZ014QQcategoryZ31712 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Old 12-08-2007, 09:51 AM

Thanks for all the great responses. I see that the Leupold RX-II has something that is similiar to the ARC system? Is this something that is needed when hunting from a treestand 12 to 18 feet above ground? I've heard feedback that the Leupolds have complicated features that make them harder to use and that the view through them seems a bit "cluttered". Is this true? Thanks again!
Old 12-08-2007, 10:06 AM
Fork Horn

I know it's a little out of your budget but I just bought a Nikon Monarch 1200 in camo off ebay from suncoast something or other but with shipping was 349.99. I love it I have ranged buildings and such out to 1180yrds.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:27 PM
Spike

I purchased a Nikon buckmasters 660 rangefinder about 18 months ago.I,m not sure what caused it to malfunction butit was never dropped or abused.After sending it back to nikon they informed me that it would be cheaper to replace than repair.They were sorry that it was no longer covered by warranty and offered to replace it at a discounted price.I requested a monarch 800 and they said it was on it's way.After six months and countless calls to nikon Canada in toronto I was becoming frustrated.After almost a year they finally ended up sending me a monarch 1200 which works ok but is physically much larger than an 800 and not really suited for bowhunting.I hope Nikon USA has better customer service than canada but I wouldn't hold my breath.I guess I have really learned my lesson.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:12 PM

Can anyone provide any feedback on the RX-2? How does it compare to Nikons and Bushnells?
Old 12-12-2007, 12:50 AM
Fork Horn

Go to wal-mart and check out what they carry...the price is more than reasonable and they carry a couple different models.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:48 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: msmith2032

I am new to this site and am looking for some advice on which rangefinder to buy. The models I'm debating between are the Bushnell Yardage Pro 450, the Nikon ProStaff Laser 440, the Bushnell Yardage Pro Trophy and the Cabela's CLR 800 (made by Bushnell). My budget requires me keep the rangefinder at or below $225. It will be used primarily for bowhunting for Whitetails in timber from a treestand but will also be used for rifle hunting in timber and possibly a trip out West for elk. Also, I wear glasses. Any advice on these four models or suggstions on other models would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
I have a pair of the bushnell yardage pro 450's there all right for a tree stand other than that I'm not really impressed with them,at the time I did'nt have alot to spend on a pair,mine were $150.00 the clairity is not good on them if you put the nikons next to them I'm sure you would take the nikons,you can't scan an animal in the brush or thickets with mine the nikons I'm pretty sure they will,and I wish I would have put another $50.00 with it and got the nikons the bushy's may say 450 on them but around 220yds. is the farthest I could ever range with em........Ted

Quick Reply: Which rangefinder...Bushnell, Nikon, Cabela's?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.