Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Why don't you like Tasco scopes? >

Why don't you like Tasco scopes?

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Why don't you like Tasco scopes?

Old 10-03-2008, 07:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Why don't you like Tasco scopes?

Isn't this a moot point anyway? They are not made anymore
Old 10-03-2008, 09:12 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

ORIGINAL: pheasantfanatic

I didn't say that they are the best. I would love to have a Nikon Monarch.I just said that I have had one on my rifle for 5 years, and I am not gentle on my rifle, and it hasn't given me any problems.
I know, your the man. I am sure you have owned all brands, and models before, so you know what your talking about.
BC, man give it a rest..we know you get what you pay for..
Old 10-05-2008, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's my reason - I bought a "World Class" Tasco 3-9x40mm as my first ever scope purchase. That was about 1980. My eyesight had gotten too iffy for open sight shots past 150-200 yards, so I had little choice. This scope did fine for 2 seasons. During the 3rd, I came up out of a bottom around 11:00 a.m., heading back to the camp after a fine winter morning in a tree stand. I saw no deer but was enjoying the day. I decided to stalk by a nearby food plot where a scrape line had developed along the eastern edge. Lo and behold, as I slipped up to where I could see the field, a huge ... and I mean huge ... buck with a head full of horn was tearing up a 4" diameter Persimmon tree. He had no clue I was in the world.

I had a rest on a hickory tree and was at about 125 yards. Broad side. I was stunned when after my first shot he never even acknowledged the report. A clean miss. I figured "buck fever" ??? My second shot I know 100% was dead on, dead calm and again dead off. He looked up and in my direction, but did not move. I got off a third well aimed shot, after which he had had enough and bounced off the field.

When I got back to the camp, I checked "zero". The problem was that the "guts" of the scope had collapsed. No elevation or windage control, and shots hitting all over the place in about 3' area. Sickening. The rifle was a Browning BBR in 30.06 Spr., so it was not as if it were mounted to a cannon.

So I replaced it with a Leupold Vari-X III ... and was introduced to the "good scope" world and have not retreated since.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:30 PM
Typical Buck

corey, the problem i had with tasco scopes was that they would get blurry on me after a few years. ive had about 3 of them and all three did the same thing. plus they wouldnt stay put after sighting them in. i finally got a leupold for my new 243. by the way, my son lives in Staunton too. hes a school teacher down there.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Now I will say one I only used for 2 months or so until the Leupold came back and the other is only around 1 year old so I'm not sure how they will be 3 years from now. I can just comment on how they are right now versus the Leupold at that age. I have a really old one on a bb gun but it doesn't count to me since it's a bb gun.

The Leupold is worse about not staying sighted in. If you drop it or anything you can expect it to be off. I luckily haven't had that issue with the Tasco on my muzzle loader yet and hopefully never will. I really like that scope. I keep looking for something wrong but it hasn't let me down yet.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:29 PM
Spike

I like Tasco for alot of reason's other than just the price.Now i will be the first to say ,that Tasco Scopes are not as good as they use to be.
Now back home in NC, i use to dog hunt for deer,Makeing Drives all the time triping and falling over briars and vines on these drives with a 300 win mag top with a gold ring leupold 2.5x10,it never was a real clear scope and it would never keep it's zero.I took it off after only 2 season's and sold the thingfor a song.I then top the 300 win mag with a World Class Tasco 3x9x40 it stay on the gun for 15 years without so much as a hick-up.In fact i had a house fire and the scope was on the rifle in the closet and some cloths feel on top of the rifle and help protect it.But the Tasco Scope was not under the cloths and melted it to a ugly blob.My bud said thats a World Class Tasco and the papers said back then if it breaks for any reason even if it is your fault,that they will repair are replace it.So i sent it in, and in less than a month.A brand New came back to me.TASCO will always havemy VOTE.
PS:I also have own Zeiss and the Tasco was clearer.It is Not always how much you pay .But it is your money spend it the way you like
Old 10-06-2008, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: LarryFox1

I like Tasco for alot of reason's other than just the price.Now i will be the first to say ,that Tasco Scopes are not as good as they use to be.
Now back home in NC, i use to dog hunt for deer,Makeing Drives all the time triping and falling over briars and vines on these drives with a 300 win mag top with a gold ring leupold 2.5x10,it never was a real clear scope and it would never keep it's zero.I took it off after only 2 season's and sold the thingfor a song.I then top the 300 win mag with a World Class Tasco 3x9x40 it stay on the gun for 15 years without so much as a hick-up.In fact i had a house fire and the scope was on the rifle in the closet and some cloths feel on top of the rifle and help protect it.But the Tasco Scope was not under the cloths and melted it to a ugly blob.My bud said thats a World Class Tasco and the papers said back then if it breaks for any reason even if it is your fault,that they will repair are replace it.So i sent it in, and in less than a month.A brand New came back to me.TASCO will always havemy VOTE.
PS:I also have own Zeiss and the Tasco was clearer.It is Not always how much you pay .But it is your money spend it the way you like
This is exactly the experience I've had with the Tasco compared to the Leupold. I'm guessing most guys that hate them probably haven't used them and are just sold on the name brand. The story always seems to be I had a buddy that had one that didn't like them. There are a few like the one a few posts up where he actually used one but then again every product every brand has lemons.

I really didn't like Tasco when I started using them and only used them to try out and planned to use them for a short period of time. I didn't really like them and didn't really want to but as much as I disliked them it was good enough to really impress me compared to the Leupold. It totally changed my mind about them after using them for a season.

I sometimes also hunt with dogs so I know exactly what you are talking about tripping and it riding around in the vehicle. That's why I'm really concerned about this Leupold that wont hold a zero when you drop it.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mr. Slim

corey, the problem i had with tasco scopes was that they would get blurry on me after a few years. ive had about 3 of them and all three did the same thing. plus they wouldnt stay put after sighting them in. i finally got a leupold for my new 243. by the way, my son lives in Staunton too. hes a school teacher down there.
I have had not problems with the buckhorn I have on one of my mlers (got another tasco on I mler I won a few weeks back) just when I go into a higher focus it go blurry. I stay on 6 anyway. wow,
I got picked on something a year old I feel honored.
if I did not have another project in the works I would start the upgrade project.

which school?
Old 11-01-2008, 08:08 PM

No offense to the proud Tasco owners, butI couldn't even consider one for a bb gun. I've had them in my youth on .22 rifles and such and was upset with the performance then much less now and would in no way trust a hunt to one. there may be some values out there but I live by get what ya pay for.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:39 PM
Spike

No offense to any body that has and want's to spend aa whole weekly pay check and more on a name brand scope.I have done it on some of the so call best of the best name brand rifle scopes.But tasco scopes has serve me better than any of these so call name brand rifle scopes.
You do not always get what you PAY for in rifle scopes
ORIGINAL: 2006HighSierra

No offense to the proud Tasco owners, butI couldn't even consider one for a bb gun. I've had them in my youth on .22 rifles and such and was upset with the performance then much less now and would in no way trust a hunt to one. there may be some values out there but I live by get what ya pay for.

Quick Reply: Why don't you like Tasco scopes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.