Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Clearidge Ultra XP 4.5-14x40 >

Clearidge Ultra XP 4.5-14x40

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Clearidge Ultra XP 4.5-14x40

Old 08-10-2007, 02:21 PM
Spike

Default Clearidge Ultra XP 4.5-14x40

Well I finally got the time to do a reveiw on the Clearidge Ultra XP 4.5-14x40 that I purchase in March.I ran some teston theUltra XP seperately thanI compared the optics in the Clearidge side by side with my Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16x40 and my Nikon Monarch 4-12x40. First impressions were the scope was very nicely built with a very nice quality Matte finish. Made in Japan, which is plus for me!! Optics were clear edge to edge with good resolution.

The target turrets on the scope are very solid and provided a nice audible click. The dials are easy to turn and are easy to read. The turret is able to be reset to zero, which made iteasy to make adjustments and returnback to zero.I than decided to do a box test to see if the adjustments were true.This test passed with flying colors with the adjustments.I shot 3 shots at the bulls eye and thenI moved the dial 8 clicks to the right,3 shots, than moved it up 8 click, 3 shots, moved it left 8 clicks, 3 shots and then finally down 8 clicks and 3 more shots. When I came back to the bulls eye the last 3 shots were actually touching the first 3 shots. So summary on the adjustments, they are true and very precise.

Next I compared the optics in the Clearidge, Nikon and Bushnell. During day light hours, I looked at a sign with variety of size lettering at 100 yards with all 3 scopes set at7 power. I was able to read smaller lettering with the Clearidge compared to the Nikon and Bushnell. Next I did the same test, but at dusk to see if there was any difference. I was presently suprised to see that the Clearidgeperformed up to par and was slightly brighter than Nikon, which was very close. The Bushnell was slightly darker than both the Clearidge and Nikon.

Next I compared the overall specs for all 3 scopes. The lightest was the Nikon at 17.5oz, than the Bushnell at 18.6oz and finally the Clearidge at 19.4oz. You really do not notice any difference holding them in the hand. The shortest scope was the Nikon at 13.7", than the Bushnell at 14.4" and finally 14.5" for Clearidge. One disadvantage with the Nikon's short length is that is has a short mounting space also, making the Bushnell and Clearidge easier to mount.

Finally, I compared the AO. On paper the parallax would focus down to 15 yards on the Clearidge, 10 yards on the Bushnell and 50 yards on the Nikon. Actually what I found was 12 yards on the Clearidge, 10 yards on the Bushnell and 45 yards on the Nikon.

In conclusion, the Clearidge Ultra XP stood up to the Nikon and Bushnell very well, actually out performing them optically in my opinion. The adjustments are very accurate and easy to use. I would say that the Clearidge Ultra XP is a great value for the money compared to the other brands andis a winner in my book.

Their website is www.clearidgeoptics.com

Deerfollower