Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 scope foged up >

scope foged up

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

scope foged up

Old 02-11-2007, 06:34 PM

Default scope foged up

this year i had my leopold vx ii fog up twice on the outsidewhile looking at deeri have another vx ii on another rifle but never had this happen beforemight have just beenthe weather conditions that caused it but i was wondering if the leopold lens coating could havebeen differant on one of the scopes that caused this this is the first year i have used the scope that fogged up got me wondering have any of you used any of the fogging solutionslike parkers perfect would like for this to not happen againthanks for anycomments
Old 02-11-2007, 08:25 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: scope foged up

i would like to respond to your question because ive had a couple of scopes fog on meyou know but sometimes they dont fog up and i dont know why somedays they do fog up and some days they dont it may be something due to the weather or maybe my breath just stinks that day because of what i ate for breakfast lol but this is really getting hard to read i bet because of a lack of punctuation capitalization and proper sentence structure

It has nothing to do with Leopold vs other scopes or coatings. When it is cold outside your scope and the glassare cold as well. If you are not careful it is easy to inadvertentlyexhaleyour warm, humid air on the ocular lens when you exhale while looking through the scope. When moist warm air hits the cold surface of the ocular lens the mosturefrom your breath condenses on the lens. Ialways try to breath out of the left or right corner of my mouth when looking through the scope in cold weather to prevent this from happening.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: scope foged up

ORIGINAL: mouthcaller

It has nothing to do with Leopold vs other scopes or coatings. When it is cold outside your scope and the glassare cold as well. If you are not careful it is easy to inadvertentlyexhaleyour warm, humid air on the ocular lens when you exhale while looking through the scope. When moist warm air hits the cold surface of the ocular lens the mosturefrom your breath condenses on the lens. Ialways try to breath out of the left or right corner of my mouth when looking through the scope in cold weather to prevent this from happening.
Incorrect --it has alot to do with the coatings. If you want to solve your problem go Bushnell with Rainguard. It still looks like its fogged up but you can still clearly see through the scope. Go to a store grab a RG coated scoped breath on it and see for yourself.

IMO Raingaurd coating is very underestimated on how much it helps. Its doesnt stop a scope from fogging or getting water on it but it seperates the droplets apart(microscopicly) so much you can still see clearly through it. Buying an expensive scope you have to breath to the left doesntmake sense to me, which is why I sold all my Leupolds and go primarily with Bushnell Elite scopes on all of my hunting rifles.