Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Scope Quandary:  Here I Go AGAIN! >

Scope Quandary: Here I Go AGAIN!

Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Scope Quandary: Here I Go AGAIN!

Old 02-05-2007, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scope Quandary: Here I Go AGAIN!

Follicay,
I aggree with what Shato has said,for one he's been there done that twice.
I aggree with choices on mounts Lupey or Burris,I like 2 pice mounts,and I'm a firm beliver in locktight.
Now scope how many are out there MILLIONS.
The one scope I realy like for hunting here in Montan from timber to sagebrush is the Zeiss Conquest 3-9 x40 mm.This is a great scope and it can take a beating.The one thing to watch out for is the bellsize,cause that will play heck to with a scabared.
There are alot of quality scopes for you out there,like the Nikon Monarch,Sightron SIII,Burris Short mag or Black Diamond,Kahles,Meptora(sp),Bushnell Elite 4200,Lupey VX III.
Most of these in 2.5+ to about 9 or 12 power varible.Don't go less than 35 mm,this is were you will get you light gathering ability.I like 35mm or 40 mm for about everything.
Take a good look at the Zeiss Conquest,I don't think there is abetter scope for the money out there.Some will argue but many will agree.
Good Luck
BBJ
Old 02-05-2007, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Folically Challenged

That leaves me with a Leupold VX-II toallocate to either a Remington 788 in .243ora 700 CDL in .30-06.Since I'm heading back to BC this Fall to chase elk (atno smallexpense), I'm wanting to send the VX-II to the 788, and outfit the CDL with some new glass.
I would put the Leo VX-II on the 30-06.... then go shopping for the .243

Have you looked at the Leo VX-7?

It must really be expensive. I have-yet to read a review on it.

Old 02-05-2007, 04:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

It must really be expensive. I have-yet to read a review on it.
VX7 costs $1300-1500 USD. So far only thing was on 24hrCampfire and it sounded more like a sound bite then a review persay!
Old 02-05-2007, 07:30 PM

i think that folks really do miss out by not trying a good fixed power scope.Among my fixed power scopes are a FXIII 6X42 Leupold and a 6X42 Zeiss. Both are excellent scopes and they are really good in low light. Sometimes i hunt hogs at night with the rifles these scopes are mounted on.They are the best low light scopes i have ever seen:The Leupold has an edge over the Zeiss.

Fixed power scopes have fewer moving parts and are less prone to go haywire than variable power scopes.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default Update from my browsing trip to the scope store...

OK, I only took 1 child to the store this time. Actually, he wasn't even mine!

I spent a leisurely time getting all the scopes focused for my eyes, then looked at several different points inside the store to see which ones "spoke to me". This time, the FFII didn't seem nearly as nice, & they didn't have any Signature Select or Black Diamond scopes to look at.

After about 40 minutes, I took the Swaro AV, the Bushnell Elite 4200, a Leupold VXIII, and the Zeiss Conquest over to the window to check out the countryside in thefading light conditions, as well as the target on the side of my Yukon parked 300+ yards away.

In the end, I found the Zeissto bea hugeleap up from the Bushnell, and a goodly step up from the Leupold. In fact,it was almost neck-and-neck (to my eyes, anyway) with the Swarovski.

At $399, the Zeiss seems like an excellent value. And the store had just sent me a 10% off coupon for any one item! Looks like my search has ended.

Many thanks to all,

FC
Old 02-06-2007, 05:10 AM

Default RE: Update from my browsing trip to the scope store...

You should be real happy with that Conquest !!
Old 02-06-2007, 07:06 AM

At $399, the Zeiss seems like an excellent value. And the store had just sent me a 10% off coupon for any one item! Looks like my search has ended.

Many thanks to all,

FC
Great choice! You won't be disappointed. Now, Don't forget some good rings and bases. Leupold if you know how to lapp rings. Burris signature rings if you don't. Don't skimp on this!!!!!!
Old 02-07-2007, 02:39 PM
Fork Horn

...And the store had just sent me a 10% off coupon for any one item! Looks like my search has ended.
I got out an electron microscope so I could read the fine print on the 10% coupon, & all optics were conveniently excluded. This was at Bass Pro Shops,so I called their customer service dept. to see if I could sweet talk them. Nothin' doin'.

Instead, I'll be ordering from OpticsPlanet.com, since they've indulged me and my barrage of questions over the past several days. Competitive price, free shipping, & good service.