Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Vortex Razor >

Vortex Razor

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Vortex Razor

Old 02-01-2007, 08:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Vortex Razor

I wanted to start a new thread on these bins because I believe that they warrant further discussion! Here is a copy/paste of my impressions on them thus far.

The overall build quality seems very good. All of the fit and finish is excellent. There is no play in the rotating eyecups or the central hinge however, the latter is just a bit looser than I would prefer.

The design is very good as well. My hands fit comfortably around the barrels. The open bridge design gives the impression of a much lighter weight binocular. The eyecups have a very nice multi-click stop mechanism that allows them to be adjusted in very small increments. In addition those increments are nicely labeled on the side of the eyecup so as you twist them out the graduations are revealed. There is also a set of flared eyecups included in the packaging. The rubber armor seems more than sufficient at protecting the binoculars from any type of dents or dings. The diopter adjustment is found by popping out the focusing knob and is also of the click-stop design.

Negatives at this point, and take this with a grain of salt as I am being a bit picky...

- though nowhere near as bad as I have seen mentioned in other posts the focusing knob is a bit stiffer than some of the other binoculars I have owned. I think this is somewhat of a perceived stiffness though if that makes sense. I believe this is the result of two issues. One, the size of the focusing knob and the angle with which my finger comes off the barrel and rests upon it. If the focusing knob was a bit smaller I do not think it would be as much of an effort. Two, the texture of the knob itself. The knob is coated with a series of very small, pointed "nodules". They are by no means uncomfortable and offer very good traction but they give the effect of something rough on the tips of my fingers and this could be contributing to the perception of a less than desirable focusing tension.

- the previously mentioned central hinge tension. I would prefer it a bit stiffer so it is more difficult to collapse.

- the rubber armor has a somewhat unpleasant odor.

Ok, I had some time this afternoon to give the 8x42 Razors a bit of an optical examination.

Two BIG THUMBS UP!

Outstanding in every regard I can think to comment on.

Field of View:

Exceptional, class leading, superb...are just a few words that come to mind. At 410 feet they pretty much equal my Meopta Meostars and better the Zeiss FLs by 5 feet.

Edge Sharpness:

Same set of adjectives. The edge sharpness is a bit better than both the Meopta and the Leica Trinovid I currently have in my possession. I would say it is roughly equal to that of the new Swaro SLCs and ELs and just a hair less than that of the Nikon Premier/Venturer/HGs.

Color representation: Very neutral and very similar to the Leica Trinovids in their vividness of colors.

Brightness: Excellent brightness levels. I have yet to check it in low light conditions but I have a difficult time believing it is going to disappoint.

Color Fringing: I was unable to detect color fringing against several high contrast objects including a crow against a blue sky and the highly reflective top of one of my bird feeders. I can pick up slight color fringing in both cases, especially around the edges, on both the Trinovid and the Meopta but not the Razor. Vortex advertises this binocular as having extra low dispersion glass and it shows.

Apparent sharpness: With very neutral color represenation this binocular displays very sharp images and a nice sweet spot of focus from very good depth of field.

I really do not have anything negative to say about this binocular's optics. In fact, this might be, arguably, the nicest image I have had the privelege to look at from a premium roof prism binocular. There isn't any annoying astigmatism or edge distortion, no "almost artificial" color representation and definitely a very low level of color fringing.

In my opinion this binocular isn't a Swarovski EL knockoff. It is a direct competitor. For all of you folks that trust my fairly limited experience I would suggest trying these binoculars out. I think many of you will be genuinely surprised at what $700 will get you.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:34 AM

Default RE: Vortex Razor

How would you compare these to the Minox HG? I was thinking about getting the Minox, but I have read some favorable things about the Vortex Razors. Decisions, decisions.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Dan,

I have not owned the HGs. I did own a pair of the Minox BD BR Aspherics. The image in both of these bins has some interesting similarities. The color representation, perceived sharpness and level of edge distortion in both models is very similar.

Looking at both the HG and the Razors I am struck by the similarities in a few simple features like the focusing knob. However, that may be entirely superficial. If I had both in hand I might be able to give a better evaluation. Don't tempt me though as I was eyeing up the 8x33 HG as a more compact companion to the Razor.

I would strongly suggest you give these Razors a try. The optics are astounding for the price...and would be even if they cost twice as much.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:44 PM

Doug at Cameraland in NY ships everything with 30-day trial. I will probably order both sets and try them out side-by-side. I just have to ship back the ones I don't like. I probably won't do this for a few months yet, but unless I see them both in a store for a side-by-side comparison, I will probably have Doug hook me up with a set of each for the trial.

By the way, where are the Vortex made?
Old 02-01-2007, 06:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Dan,

The Vortex are made in Japan.

What a coincidence. I bought the Razors from Doug. I would suggest reconsidering your time frame somewhat. He now has several Razor demos from the SHOT show for $489.99 instead of the $700 that they typically sell for.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:41 AM

Dang! That's a heck of deal. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 02-03-2007, 01:19 PM
Spike

how can you contact Doug to see if he has any left?
Old 02-03-2007, 02:49 PM

http://www.cameralandny.com/

1-866-9optics
Old 02-03-2007, 06:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

He is out of the 10x42 demos as of yesterday. I won't mention who snagged the last one.

He still has some of the 8x42 demos left.

Don't forget though guys these bins still only typically retailfor $700 and their optical performance equates to other binstwice that price.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:29 AM

Hi PA,
What are your opinions on the Razors -vs- the meopta meostars? Side by side.

Thanks,

Hyde

Quick Reply: Vortex Razor

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.