Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Nikon Scope

Old 01-28-2007, 09:53 AM

Default Nikon Scope

Can anyone give me some info. about the Nikon Monarch 3x9x40 scope? I got it for christmas and i'm going to put it on my 30-06. I just opened the box and it seems to have the BDC on the cross hairs. How does this work? And wouldn't bullet drop be different for each bullet used.So, how can those little circles be right.... AlsoI know nothing about optics. How good of a scope is this, i think they paid 300.00 for it at x-mas time. I hope it's goodI ordered 1 for my brother for his birthday in 2 weeks from swfa and paid only 220.00 ! that was a score

Thanks,

Old 01-29-2007, 08:02 AM

Default RE: Nikon Scope

That sounds like the Nikon scope that was developed for muzzleloaders. It is suppose to have the perfect drop with a certain amount of powder and a certain grain bullet. Hope this helps!
Old 01-29-2007, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

BDC- Bullet Drop Compensator. Yours is probably not the one designed for ML's. The one for ML's is called the Omega. Yours is like the Leupold B&C or Varmint reticle. Main difference is that their's is a single bar with windage adjustments. Nikon's is for drop only. You have to shoot your rifle to understand how to use it. Some people use the center of the circle, and some use the subtensions of the circle, when they calculate(through shooting) what range each circle or subtension is for. If you are the typical shooter who shoots a box or two every two or three years then the reticle is useless to you. If you are a shooter who shoots alot and at longer distances, it could become invaluable. It really depends on you, what type of hunting you do, and how far you shoot. I just got a 4 X 12 from SWFA for my new Ruger 10-22(actually unwrapped it while reading your post). Great scope for a good price. I should be able to hold on out to 125 yards or farther. WHO KNOWS. But I sure will shoot it to find out. Tom.

Old 01-29-2007, 04:47 PM

Would thisNikon scope, that was developed for muzzleloaders, work on a 12 ga. semi. Browning Gold with the slug barrel??
Old 01-29-2007, 06:12 PM

My Dad has one on his ML(and shooting some stout loads)and loves it !! He has killed deer with it at near dark and has killed 5 bucks this season with it at all times of the day and all kinds of ranges !! I have not tested it at low light but will take his word for it !! I have looked through it at daylight and it is super clear........seemsclose enough tomy high end Ziess and Swarovski during the daylight !!

I am going to put a 3x9x40 Monarch UCC on my son's .223 and take off the Ziess 4x32 that's on it !! SWFA has them......like you say $218 and that is just too good to pass up !!
Old 02-11-2007, 08:20 AM
Spike

Head0001, like your 10/22, great lookingpiece of wood you put on it,who makes that one? Do any else to it? Tim