HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Optics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/optics-85/)
-   -   Best Binoculars? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/optics/175890-best-binoculars.html)

Icetrey 01-17-2007 09:10 PM

Best Binoculars?

I have a set of Nikon Action 10 by 50 Binoculars. What are some other good ones? Sorry if a repeat.:D

North Texan 01-17-2007 09:36 PM

RE: Best Binoculars?

Mine are Swarovski 10x42 SLC's.

retrieverman 01-18-2007 08:20 AM

I have Zeiss 12x45 and love them.

skeeter 7MM 01-18-2007 09:15 AM

The best I currently own are Pentax DCF SP's 10x42. I have been very happy with their performance.

My other binos are:

Compacts - Bushnell Legend 9x25
Truck Binos - Pentax PCF's 12x50

Both serve the purpose.

NoKnees 01-18-2007 02:01 PM

leica ultravid 10x42 very nice

I also have

8x32 Burris landmarks ( free with scope)
10x42 Nikon ATBs
8x42 bushnells from long ago

CBM SC 01-18-2007 02:58 PM

I have some older Ziess 7x42's that are pretty sweet !!

But my buddy has some Swarovski 10x42 (I think EL's)......whatever the best one's are and man.....they are much better than mine !! Nicest I have ever looked through.......especially at dusk!!

He just got some Leica Geovid's though and says they are even better.........I looked through them during the day an the were great but I haven't seen them at dusk !!

PABowhntr 01-19-2007 10:18 AM

Here is a copy/paste of a post I left a month or two ago. The post was looking for more of an explanation for why some binoculars cost more than others. I do not know which price range you were looking for but I think I nailed one in each category.

There are a variety of issues that separate binoculars in one price range from binoculars in another. For example, assuming roof prism binos, at the $100 price point and under we have bins like the...

Bushnell Powerview
Nikon Sporter I/Buckmaster
Tasco World Class
Bushnell H20

These bins may be waterproof but are more than likely just water repellent. They may also only be "fullycoated or just plain "multicoated" in terms of the lenses. This reduces brightness, contrast, resolution, etc...

At the $200 price point we have binoculars like the....

Bushnell Excursion
Eagle Optics Denali
Pentax DCF-HS

These binoculars have at least multicoated optics and have phase-coated prisms. This makes them siginficantly brighter with a sharper image. Some models might also have a slightly wider field of view. The glasses may also be a bit lighter overall. Durability will, ofcourse, increase slightly as you pay more money within product lines from the same company.

At the $300 price point you start getting into the bins that give you great performance for the price. Bins included in this price range include....

Nikon Monarch
Bushnell Legend
Wind River Cascade and Olympic
Pentax DCF-HR II
Cabelas XTs
Minox BD BR or BD BL

These binoculars are all fully multicoated, phase coated, waterproof roof prism binos that offer excellent image quality with two or three characteristics that separate them from the $1000+ models

From $400-$800 you do not really see that much of a difference in terms of quality or design. These binoculars are a smidge better in terms of one or two characteristics than the $300 models but, IMO, are not worththe doubling in costunless you are trying to get the absolute highest quality instrument within that particular budget.Binoculars in this range include....

Pentax DCF-SP
Minox HG
Kahles
Bushnell Discoverer (original price)

Between $900 and $1000 you havea tier of binoculars that is possibly the best from their respective company but still falls just a bit short of the absolute best roof prisms available for one reason or another optically or mechanically. These binoculars would include.....

Bushnell Elite
Meopta Meostar
Zeiss Conquest

Between $1000 and $1300 you have some of the best roof prism glasses ever produced. At one time they were the premier roof prism glasses on the market however subsequent improvements in prism coatings or a reduction in weight due to construction materials has bumped them just a bit from the "latest and greatest" status. Without comparing them extensively to their slightly more expensive counterparts you would never know that there could be a better glass out there. These bins typically have full life time warranties, close to the latest advances in coatings and excellent build quality. The quality control at this price point is also much better than that of the bins in the $300-$800 price range. Bins in this range would include.....

Leica Trinovids
Swarovski SLCs
Nikon Premier LXLs

Lastly we have the most expensive roof prisms on the market...$1300+. These three binocular lines represent the highest quality level and latest technological advances in just about every area. There is currently some discussion on whether or not they are actually "better" than the models just mentioned so take it with a grain of salt. Bins in this range include....

Swarovski EL
Leica Ultravid
Zeiss FL.

To summarize, you pay more for

1. Better durability
2. Better coatings on the prism and lenses
3. Waterproofing
4. Warranty
5. Optical characterisitcs such as a wider field of view, closer focus, less edge distortion, etc...

Hope this proves helpful.

SalCucco 01-29-2007 05:59 AM

retreiverman: how are the zeiss 12x45 are those the conquests? I wsa thinking of getting the conquest 15x45 for a nice pair of long range binos. I have a pair of nikon 10x42 but want a little more power.

I'm sue they are great but is the weight really as light as they claim it is 20oz (which i lighter than my 10x42 nikon monarchs)

Parrot Head 02-05-2007 12:23 PM

SalCucco,
I am getting ready to purchase the Nikon 10x42 Monarchs. How are they treating you. Any complaints about them. I will use them for the 100-150 yard range and want to see points on deer and beards on turkeys.

GooseHunter Jr. 02-06-2007 02:25 PM

I have a set of Burris Signature Select........love em!!!