Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Monarch or Buckmaster >

Monarch or Buckmaster

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Monarch or Buckmaster

Old 12-21-2006, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Monarch or Buckmaster

Is the Monarch worth the difference in price for a big game hunting rifle?
Old 12-21-2006, 08:50 AM

Default RE: Monarch or Buckmaster

The monarch is a good deal in its price range. Its got glass thats better than most any thing sold for the same price. Expect to pay about $250 for a 3x9x40 Monarch. Thats a sweet spot that Leupold, Burris don't really compete well in. The one scope that I feel competes well at that price is the 3x9x40 Bushnell elite at about $260. I am not sure its better or worse than the Monarch but the ones I have looked through are bright clear scopes and they have Rainguard.

The buckmaster is a quality scope butit has some competition. If my budget was limited to the buckmaster price range Id do theBurris Fullfield II. I would expect to pay around $210 for a 3x9x40 buckmaster and you can get a 3x9x40 FFII on ebay around $160 or $190 from various internet vendors.

Although I know lots of folks will disagree. The FFII/Elite 3200/Buckmaster are about as cheap a scope Id put on a rifle for deer or larger game. I have has a number of simmons, bushnells and tasco bite the dust. My time is too valuable to hunt with a scope I can't trust.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: NoKnees

Although I know lots of folks will disagree. The FFII/Elite 3200/Buckmaster are about as cheap a scope Id put on a rifle for deer or larger game. I have has a number of simmons, bushnells and tasco bite the dust. My time is too valuable to hunt with a scope I can't trust.
Personally Im a big Bushnell Elite fan because of the rainguard. When you go to the store intentionally fog up the scopes with your breath and then look thru them. You'll notice you can still clearly see thru the Elite's but can't with other brands. I've been in the woods on colds days with scopes in the past where my breath and heat off of my face fogged up the outside of the lense and I had to mess with trying to wipe it off while I was picking out my shot. I dont have that issue with the rainguard.

I totally agree with that statement.

I would go with the Monarch between the 2 if you have the funds. The best Ive seen the 3x9's for are 299. If you can get one for 250 that a pretty good deal. The Monarchs are the same level quality as the Leupold VX III's compare those 2 in price and the choice is obvious. The Buckmaster is a fine scope, the Monarchs are a bit clearer and brighter.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:36 AM

The 3x9x40 Monarchis $249.99 in gloss and 259.99 in matte at SWFA. Of course they have a low price garantee so they should better any offer.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:52 AM

If you can part with the money, the monarch is a great choice.

The difference in scopes mentioned goes like this.

Monarch - great glass and fully multicoated , no side focus for higher power A.O. scopes. 95 % light transmission.

Buckmasters - really good glass , multicoated but not fully multicoated and higher power scopes are offered with side focus A.O. 92 % light transmission.

Prostaff - really good glass , multicoated but not fully, 90 % light transmission.

Burris fullfield II - really good glass , fully multicoated , 42mm Obj. , no side focus for higher power A.O scopes. about 94 - 95% light transmission.

Bushnell 3200 - really good glass , multicoated but not fully , rainguard , no side focus for higher power A.O. scopes. about 92 - 93 % light transmission.

Bushnell 4200 - great glass , fully multicoated , rainguard , no side focus for higher power A.O. scopes. 95 % light transmission.

Weaver grand slam - really good glass , fully multicoated , no side focus for higher power A.O.scopes. about 92 -93 % light transmission.

From what I understand, the warranty service is about the same for any of these manufacturers. As far as most dependable product goes , I know the Nikons are great , and I have heard the Bushnell 4200's are great. The buckmasters I know work well, I own 4 of them. The 3200's and Fullfield II's are supposed to be really good but I have no experience with them. The Weavers, I have not heard anything about and have no recent experience with.

Hope this helps. Here is a link to the Nikon Monarch, and you can go through the site to checkout the others, if you so desire, from this link. This place has the best overall prices I have found.

http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=2343

Merry CHRISTmas

Light transmission percentages submitted are from the individual scope manufacturers technical support departments as of 12-21-2006.

As per Weaver , anything over 90 % is very bright , and the difference between a scope at 90 % or one at 95 % cannot be distinguished by the naked eye..... But I do not agree with that philosophy. MET
Old 12-21-2006, 11:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would pick the Elite 4200 over the Monarch.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:24 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

I would pick the Elite 4200 over the Monarch.
Why is that? Iam shopping for a new scope and seriously considering a Nikon
Old 12-21-2006, 11:49 AM

ORIGINAL: MichaelT.

Monarch - great glass and fully multicoated , no side focus for higher power A.O. scopes. 95 % light transmission.

Buckmasters - really good glass , multicoated but not fully multicoated and higher power scopes are offered with side focus A.O. 92 % light transmission.

Burris fullfield II - really good glass , fully multicoated , 42mm Obj. , no side focus for higher power A.O scopes. about 93 % light transmission.

Bushnell 3200 - really good glass , multicoated but not fully , rainguard , no side focus for higher power A.O. scopes. about 92 % light transmission.

Bushnell 4200 - great glass , fully multicoated , rainguard , no side focus for higher power A.O. scopes. 95 % light transmission.
Where did you get the Light transmission numbers? I ask because I have seen them from other sorces and they vary.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Actually the Optic Zone has the 3-9x40 Monarch in gloss finish for $229. That's agood price and one that my local dealer can't match.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:18 PM

Some light transmission numbers come from the manufacturers websites, some others have come from magazine reports I have read on the scopes.

The scopes that are fully multicoated will , in identical power and objective sized scopes, with comparable quality glass,always transmit more light.

Quick Reply: Monarch or Buckmaster

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.