HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Optics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/optics-85/)
-   -   Burris sig series (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/optics/169839-burris-sig-series.html)

Crimson1 12-12-2006 12:42 PM

Burris sig series

Hello,

I just ordered a encore from Bullberry chambered in 25-06. I'm thinking about putting the Burris sig selectseries 3x12 scope on it. Does anybody have opinions of this scope? good or bad.

Thanks

seattlesetters 12-12-2006 12:52 PM

RE: Burris sig series

Just did a month of research and ended up with that scope. I couldn't find anything within a few hundred bucks that I liked better...great optics, versatile size and magnification range, great eye relief and I love the Ballistic Plex reticle.

I think for semi-long-range sniping with enough low-end for hunting in the timber, there are few...if any...better choices.

skeeter 7MM 12-12-2006 02:13 PM

I had one for a few years it was good but for the money they fetch in my parts I'd take a Zeiss Conquest or Leupoldover the sign series. To my eye both are optically better. One thing I will saythe sig. serieswas very good at tracking POI adjustments,just like my conquests have been. I have heard some terrible references to Burris CS on websites while both other get good ones, though never used any of them personally so can't comment on validity of the claims. I personally see no need for the ballistic or 12x range on a biggame rifle but each their own.

Good luck

NoKnees 12-13-2006 07:06 PM

I have 3 burris signatures (1.75x5x32,1.5x6x40 and 3x10x40 and a conquest 3x9x40and In terms of value Ithinkthe Burris Sig select and conquest arevery close. I have a friend who has a Monarch and it looks sharp and bright but I havent lined it up on the rail of my deck at dusk with the Burris and Ziess.TheBurris seems to be slightly brighter thanthe Ziessbut the Ziess I feel has a bit more resolution or clarity. The Burris seems to feel like a more solid scope.

As for the Lupie its a $100 more than the Burris $70 more than the Ziess and the only real advantage I could see in the Lupie is its the lightest of the three.

okcmco 12-19-2006 06:40 PM

Excellent scopes. Probably one of the best md priced scopes out there. Image quality is way up there with scopes costing alot more. They have very forgiving eye relief and head position is not as critical as other scopes. They are overengineered which explains why they have a reputation for durability.
I would agree with skeeter 7mm when he mentions the Zeiss conquest as being his choice over the burris signature. But it would be a close one for me. They are only around 20 bucks apart in price with the zeiss being the more expensive. But the only Leupold near that price which I would put in the same class is the VX3, but that one is usally about $479.
The Burris signatures used to be made in the USA, not sureif that is still so.
Check out the review from Chuck Hawkes web site. Go to chuck hawks.com and click on guns and shooting online