Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Which of the big 3 >

Which of the big 3

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Which of the big 3

Old 11-23-2006, 06:23 PM

Default Which of the big 3

I'm in the market for some high end optics. Which of the big 3 has the edge?
Old 11-23-2006, 07:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Which of the big 3

An argument could be made for each of the "Big 3's" newest models. The Swarovski EL has that open bridge design which makes their handling unique. It also has the widest "sweet spot" in terms of distortion levels across the field of view. The Leica Ultravid has excellent brightness, is smaller than the other two physically and is exceptionally durable. The Zeiss FL, arguably, is the most advanced in terms of the use of lense materials and coatings. It also has the widest field of view.
Old 11-23-2006, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MThunter

I'm in the market for some high end optics. Which of the big 3 has the edge?
Rifle scopes, spotting scope, binoculars, range finders? Can you be a little more specific...
Old 11-23-2006, 10:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

After a lot of reading and asking questions I bought the Zeiss Diavari 3x12x56 VM/V and thus far I am very pleased with it. Probably not a lot of difference in the Swarovski's, Schmitt & Benders and Zeiss Diavari.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:04 AM

sorry i'm looking for binos
Old 11-26-2006, 07:17 PM

Well you might want to narrow your search down to which level of the big three you want. At the bottom of the big three you have the:
Zeiss Conquest
Leica Trinovid BN
Swarovski SLC
In 10x40 the zeiss is about $800.00
In 10x42 the Leica is $1299
In10x42 you will pay +-$1350
I like hte Leicas in this range

But is you are going for each makers top of the line you are looking the the swarovski EL. The Zeiss Victory II, and the Leica Ultravid
They cost (in 8 or 8.5x42) $1775, $1600, and $1750.
I think that the EL's are probably the finest glass I have ever looked through. I don't remember them feeling any better or worse than any of the other as far as ergonomics. But I have a friend who would give the edge to the Leica's. But many of the hunting mags I read like the Zeiss Victory II. The best thing you can do is to take a trip to a Cabela's or a place that has all of themon hand. A road tripis worth the effort fo a pair of binos you may have for the rest of your life. Look through them at length and compare. I would say that optical performanceof all 3 are so good that you will make your choice on ergonomics and features. Like does the adjustable diopter lock? Does the interpupilary distance lock? Are the light or heavy? And do they fit you hand? It's the little things in life.....
Oh and you might also look at the excellent Nikon LXL series.
okcmco